More Craigslist Stupidity

fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
edited March 2009 in Strut Central
"Appraised at $7000. There are 640 PLUS albums ( double and triple sets ) in this collection of Jazz, Blues and Classical music all in excellant condition. Inventory list available"so, the lady sends me this complete inventory that has a tonne of terds and a few things i sort of wouldn;t mind having (but nothing even close to being a raer) so she wrote back saying she'd only sell as a lot and gave me a copy of her valuation report. here is a small excerpt of the list with the "professional" valuation for this bunch at the end (these are not records i want). SARAH VAUGHAN ??? OSCAR PETERSON: HOW LONG HAS THIS BEEN GOING ON ??? EX +SARAH VAUGHAN ??? DUKE ELLINGTON: SONG BOOK ONE ??? EX +SARAH VAUGHAN: GOLDEN HITS ??? EXSARAH VAUGHAN: AFTER HOURS ??? EXSARAH VAUGHAN: I LOVE BRAZIE ??? EX-JOE PASS ??? PAULINO DA COSTA: TUDO BERN ??? EX-JOE PASS ??? NIETS HENNING-OSCAR PETERSON: NORTHSEA NIGHTS ??? EX +OSCAR PETERSON: CARIOCA ??? EXOSCAR PETERSON TRIO ??? ONE CLARK TERRY- EXOSCAR PETERSON: HELLO HERBIE ??? EX-OSCAR PETERSON: THEY DIDN???T BELIEVE IN ME ??? EX-OSCAR PETERSON: OSCARS BLUES ??? EX-OSCAR PETERSON: ALL THE THINGS YOU ARE ??? EX-OSCAR PETERSON: I GOT RYTHYM ??? VGTHE OSCAR PETERSON TRIO: WE GET REQUESTS ??? EX+THE OSCAR PETERSON TRIO: NIGHT TRAIN ??? EX+OSCAR PETERSON: THE PERSONAL TOUCH ??? EX +THE OSCAR PETERSON TRIO: CANADIANA SUITE ??? EX +COUNT BASIE MEETS OSCAR PETERSON: THE TIME KEEPERS ??? EXOSCAR PETERSON ???NEILS PEDERSEN-JOE PASS: THE TRIO ??? EX +OSCAR PETERSON ??? THE BASSITS: MONTREUX ??? EXOSCAR PETERSON: LIVE AT NORTHSEA JAZZ FESTIVAL ??? EX+VAPOR DRAWINGS- MARK ISHAM: EXSOLID COLORS: LIZ STORY ??? EX-MAKOIO OZONE: EX-OLIVER JONES: THE MANY MOODS OF ??? EX+RAY BRYANT: THE BEST OF ??? EX+BILL EVANS: TOOTS THIELMANS AFFINITY ??? EX-BILL EVANS: PARIS CONCERT EDITION ONE- EX-BILL EVANS: PARIS CONCERT EDITION TWO- EX-BILL EVANS ??? EDDIE GOMEZ - MARTY MORELL: THE TOKYO CONCERT ??? EX-BILL EVANS- HERBIE MANN: NIRVANA ??? EX-BILL EVANS: NEW CONVERSATIONS ??? EX+BILL EVANS ??? JOHNSON-LABARERRA-SCHNIEDER: WE WILL MEET AGAIN- EX-BILL EVANS ??? EDDIE GOMEZ-ELLIOT ZIGMUND: YOU MUST BELIEVE IN SPRING ??? VGBILL EVANS: THE SECOND TRIP ??? EX-BILL EVANS ??? TONY BENNETT: TOGETHER AGAIN ??? EX-BILL EVANS: FURTHER CONVERSATIONS WITH MYSELF ??? EX+MONTY ALEXANDER ??? ROY BROWN ??? HERB ELLIS: OVERSEAS SPECIAL ??? EX+ AND THE VALUATION.....................PAGE ONE: 40 ALBUMS ??? JAZZ = $570.00 is it just me, or is that list of records worth about 15-20 dollars at the very most?

Comments

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    one mans trash is anothers treasure. in this case

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    well, 40 clean 'average' jazz albums in store terms is "worth" like $5-15 apiece, depending on title and how a store might price. whoever was her "expert" was seriously maxing out things as if it was a full retail no discount store inventory. which is of course a total fantasy as she aint a store and just about no one buys even great albums (in huge lots) for that much per piece.

in terms of real value, 7000 average (but clean) albums, if they have to go as a lot, would be lucky to sell for more than a few hundred. and thats to a warehouse that can absorb 7000 basic records most of which will sit in inventory. not too many of those... In short, she is going to be mighty disappointed.

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    the so called "expert appraiser" should've purchased the LP's...

• feel free to chime in with more opinions; planning to send her this link.....

• another excerpt from this priceless valuation:

EARL GRANT: GREATEST HITS ??? VG
    EARL GRANT: THIS MAGIC MOMENT ??? VG
    EARL GRANT: A TIME FOR US ??? EX
    EARL GRANT: TRADE WINDS ??? EX+
    EARL GRANT: GENTLY SWINGING ??? EX
    EARL GRANT: MIDNIGHT SUN ??? VG
    EARL GRANT: BAH HA I ??? EX
    EARL GRANT: SPANISH EYES ??? EX
    EARL GRANT: EBB TIDE ??? EX+
    EARL GRANT: GOLDEN FAVORITES ??? VG
    EARL GRANT: STAND BY ME ??? EX+
    HENRY MANCINI: THE MANCINI TOUCH ??? EX
    HENRY MANCINI: A WARM SHADE OF IVORY ??? VG
    HENRY MANCINI: VOL II DOUBLE ALBUM ??? VG
    HENRY MANCINI: THIS IS HENRY MANCINI ??? G
    HENRY MANCINI: HATARI ??? G
    HENRY MANCINI: BASS IVORY AND STRINGS ??? VG
    HENRY MANCINI: THE BLUE AND THE BEAT ??? EX+
    HENRY MANCINI: COMBO ??? EX
    HENRY MANCINI: MR. LUCKY GOES LATIN ??? EX+
    HENRY MANCINI: PETER GUNN ??? VG
    HENRY MANCINI: MR. LUCKY ??? EX
    HENRY MANCINI: UNIQUELY ??? VG
    BARBARA STREISAND: BARBARA JOAN STREISAND ??? EX
    BARBARA STREISAND: STONEY END ??? VG
    BARBARA STREISAND: SONGBIRD ??? EX+
    BARBARA STREISAND: LIVE AT THE CONCERT FORUM ??? EX
    BARBARA STREISAND: GREATEST HITS ??? EX+
    BARBARA STREISAND: GREATEST HITS VOL II ??? EX+
    BARBARA STREISAND: GUILTY ??? EX+
    BARBARA STREISAND: WET ??? EX+
    PETER NERO: PLAYS BORN FREE ??? VG
    PETER NERO: SAY HAS ANYBODY SEEN MY GYPSY ROSE ??? VG
    TONY MOTTOLA: MEXICO LOVE SONGS ??? EX+
    TONY MOTTOLA: WARM WILD WONDERFUL ??? EX+
    ZAMFIR: ROMANCE ??? EX+
    ZAMFIR: TRANQUILITY- EX+
    MARTIN DENNY: THE BEST OF ??? VG
    MARTIN DENNY: ANOTHER TASTE OF HONEY ??? EX
    ANDRE PREVIN: STARLIGHT PIANO ??? VG
    ANDRE PREVIN: MISTY ??? VG
    RONNIE ALDRICH: THE PHASE 4 WORLD OF ??? EX
    RONNIE ALDRICH : REFLECTIONS : EX+
    RONNIE ALDRICH: ALL TIME PIANO HITS ??? EX+
    FERRANTE TEICHER: OUR GOLDEN FAVORITES ??? EX+
    FERRANTE TEICHER: IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT ??? EX+
    LIVING STRINGS: LOVE STORY ??? VG

VALUATION: PAGE EIGHT: 46 ALBUMS ??? EASY LISTENING = $429.00

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    Your going to send her the link? Good god why? There are a million people like her who think their $2 records are gold, and another group who actually have good records and no idea what they are worth.

• Your going to send her the link? Good god why? There are a million people like her who think their $2 records are gold, and another group who actually have good records and no idea what they are worth.

i'm trying to talk her down to earth so i can buy the few things i am interested in----also, i want to know who in my city is giving bullshit evaluations like these.

can;t bloody stand record con-artists

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Send Me the link. I'll gladly pay those prices.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Hey lady, if you are reading this I'll gladly pay those prices. Tell me more about what you have.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Hey lady, if you are reading this, that first guy is just trying to rip you off because that list is AWESOME. most people would KILL to get those records so don't even listen to this dude.

also, are you hot?

• LOL!!!!!

btw-gary i don;t know if you like more modern or folk banjo stylings but i recently got the first kate and anna mcgarrigle record and its got some mean banjo pickin on it.

• markus71markus71 937 Posts
    I bought a Stark Reality from that very same list!! When it arrived I couldn't stop myself from telling her how much that record was really worth.
    I think she is just being careful now.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    I paid close to $300 for a VG BILL EVANS: TOOTS THIELMANS AFFINITY last week and was happy to get it for that.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    I bought a Stark Reality from that very same list!! When it arrived I couldn't stop myself from telling her how much that record was really worth.

That's because you're a dick.

People who aren't dicks would tell the lady before they bought it so she could price it accordingly.

People who aren't dicks buy the album, are happy they got a good deal, and STFU.

People such as yourself who are dicks buy the album for cheap, then rub the lady's nose in it.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    That's crazy. I got a Bosco off that list and afterwords, not only did I tell the lady what it was worth, I bent over and farted on her little kitten!

another excerpt from this priceless valuation:

VALUATION: PAGE EIGHT: 46 ALBUMS ??? EASY LISTENING = $429.00

I don't think all the easy listening records in the world are worth $429.

I feel bad for the lady though if douche bigalow rubbed her nose on the Stark Reality deal.

Now she's swung the other way and is definitely not going to sell anything.

I wonder why people don't just check ebay for a general ballpark idea of what things go for...

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I'm wondering if I should be the one to break it graf....

I'm wondering if I should be the one to break it graf....

You guys better not be f*cking with me! Dammit! Little old ladies getting their Stark Reality vinyl ripped from their clutches... that's nothing to F*ck around with!

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts

I'm 99% positive that this was a joke

I'm 99% positive that this was a joke

YOU DONT JOKE ABOUT OLD LADIES BEING RIPPED OFF OF THEIR RAER! It just isn't done! Like priests and child moles-... oh, right.