RETNA 7th letter interview

badnoozbearbadnoozbear 26 Posts
edited March 2009 in Strut Central
For all your graff heads!

retna

Today, we had the pleasure of interviewing Retna of the world renowned 7th Letter Crew at his studio in Los Angeles. Retna is one of earth???s last true artists still traversing the globe, not to discredit other artists, but Retna still puts his well being on the line to express himself.

retna-house-1

picture-013z1

Bear: Whats up Retna. So the first question I have been dying to ask you is..How the heck did you create such crazy hand styles/ scripts?

Retna: The root of it is old English, old gangster writing. When I was a kid, I was very influenced by that, I got into graffiti in the 3rd grade. Where I used to live off Normandie and Venice, I used to look at the writing on the walls. A lot of it was gangwriting, I would sit there and try to copy it. My mom would see it and rip it up. I just liked it; I didn???t know the full details of gang life at the time. In her attempt to get me away from that type of stuff, she would send me away to a private school called St Anne???s, but ironically it was there where I learned about traditional graffiti. This kid in the 3rd grade always talked about to what we would refer to as ???the Book???. He never told me the exact title, which I found out to be ???Spraycan Art???.

retna-l

For more check out: http//www.civilclothing.com/blog