metal the way it was (well in '86 anyway)

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited March 2009 in Strut Central
Gringos "Slayer Revival"filmed/recorded last month

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    What's the diff btwn Thrash and Speed Metal?

Is Thrash more Punk inspired and SM just fast Metal?

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    yeah, kinda...but the terms back in the day were interchangable, but I suppose with 20+ years of hindsight you could go all chinstroking with it and say that Thrash included bands that werent 100% metal (D.R.I., Corrosion of Conformity, etc) wereas speedmetal was made up of bands that were more 100% heavy metal bands that turned up the BPMs...

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Hook-Up.....do you know John Perez from your days here in D/FW.....hsi band Solitude Aeturnus was my fave metal band back in the day....he also recorded a psych LP on Rockadelic under the name Liquid Sound Company.

not familar with the metal band, but I know of dude from the psych record you put out...

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    What's the diff btwn Thrash and Speed Metal?

Is Thrash more Punk inspired and SM just fast Metal?

It used to be where thrash bands were more about 70's hard rock and NWOBHM (New Wave Of British Heavy Metal), so mix up early Judas Priest with Deep Purple and Motorhead with a pinch of Diamond Head and you "might" be thrash.

It used to be where speed metal was "more metal than thrash", even though many of its bands were heavily influenced by hardcore and punk.

In either case, there were agendas made and looking back, many of the bands were interchangeable to where you couldn't tell. Metallica were equally influenced by punk as much as Anthrax were, although Metallica showed a much more melodic and progressive side. Anthrax was generally about speed with the "mosh part" being an important part of their songs, although they would get a bit more melodic and progressive too, especially after Joey Belladonna had left the band and was replaced by the guy in Armored Saint. They were much more accessible, but because they now had a guy from Armored Saint, they were able to try new things that might not have worked in the 80's.

So it depends. Speed metal was a powerful term, but then came a band out of Portland named Wehrmacht who were faster than any other speed metal band around. Things got faster, uglier, darker, more sinister, more progressive, and then came all of the sub-genres and hybrids.

and of course Motorhead was 10 years ahead of the curve with all this thrash/speedmetal stuff...but like I said, back in the day the terms were really interchangable, then the hardcore bands started tricking into the metal scene: COC, DRI, Cro Mags and metal bands started trickling into punk scene: Hirax, Anthrax...and then some sort of blurry line of demarcation cropped up around 88...

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    the term speed metal was always sort of an overly reductive misnomer to me. It connotes speed for the sake of speed. But the best metal bands of that era could go fast and then break it up with heavy, slow passages before caning it again. I prefer the term thrash because it conveys heaviness and intensity, which are the qualities that matter to me. Speed is great, but it has to serve the song.

Man, you guys are making me want to go digging for all shit I slept on back in the day. COC, DRI?

• PlantweedPlantweed 394 Posts
    Speed, thrash, power, even death and black were all interchangeable terms in the '80s. They've since been retrofitted with binomial nomenclature, though, with thrash being chunky thug sounds like Metallica, Megadeth, and Slayer, and speed metal being basically traditional metal just played more intensely, like Agent Steel, Helstar, and maybe Helloween.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    What would happen if Hannah Montana was a teenager in 1987? This is what she would've sounded like. GET READY FOR HYPERSPEED!!!