Marco: how was the Bollywood night?

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited March 2009 in Strut Central
LA Desi community come out and support? Slumdog-loving White folk too?

Comments

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    I posted this in another thread, but the night went great, my desi peoples represented, and my homie Turbanator even flew out from NC to join in. I don't think I've ever got so much positive feedback from the people who came and danced - it was really great feeling and everyone was hyped. Check the pics:

yuichibot

yuichibot

The owner even loved the night, and told me to call her to set it up for next month. But a week later she totally bailed on me saying they didn't make enough money at the bar so she didn't want to do it again.

So I'm on the hunt for another venue. But based on this night, I ended up getting asked to spin a short set at a big bollywood party in Canoga Park last Saturday. Punjabi dudes were "making it rain" with $1 bills so I managed to scramble outta there with $10 - good times!

In any event, thanks Electrode, Belson & Yuichi for coming out and supporting.

Any Soulstrutters PLEASE recommend a cool venue if you can. I need a place that has a decent soundsystem, can hold around 100 people, doesn't require a deposit or bar minimum, will let me keep the door money, and has a monthly Thur, Fri, or Sat slot available. Holler at me people.

In the meantime, click here for updates.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I wanna be like u when i grow up.

• UnconSciUnconSci 824 Posts
    Why don't you try zanzibar in santa monica. Lots of great DJs do nights there... the crowds are super diverse and the restaurant is decorated in sort of a north african/middle eastern vibe. Its big too with a good sound system.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Why don't you try zanzibar in santa monica.

There's also Monsoon in SM as well.

• If you have 100 people in Zanzibar, you're gonna have a tough time hitting the bar requirement unless you have some serious drinkers.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Me and homegirl LOVED it. The dance lessons were f*ckin' fun. haha.