DJ AM wants 20 Million dollars

nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
edited March 2009 in Strut Central
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7947941.stmMusician DJ AM is seeking $20m (??14m) damages for injuries he sustained in a plane crash in South Carolina last year, according to reports.A court document leaked to website TMZ says the DJ wants half the amount for expenses and half as compensation.The DJ, real name Adam Goldstein, and drummer Travis Barker survived the crash, but four others died. Both men filed legal cases against Learjet.A government investigation into the causes of the accident is ongoing.Both musicians were treated in hospital for second and third degree burns after the plane went down.The legal actions filed by the musicians cover several companies including Goodyear, which made the plane's tyres and the estates of the two pilots who died in the crash.The families of Chris Baker and Charles Still, the two passengers killed in the crash have also lodged legal actions.Some of the companies being sued have asked that the trial be delayed until the investigation into the event is completed.If the case comes to court, a jury will decide whether Goldstein's request for $10m for medical expenses, lost earnings, profits and economic damages and another $10m for mental and physical pain and other "non economic" losses should be met. -----------------------Discuss.

Comments

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    DJ AM is an avid "sneakerhead" and collects athletic shoes, primarily Nikes. His collection of over 600 shoes includes a pair of Nike Air Force 1 shoes that were created specifically for him, with his DJ AM logo appearing on the shoe itself. In a new commercial, he starred alongside Mike Epps and Kobe Bryant sporting the yet to be released Nike Air Yeezy, the signature shoe for Kanye West.

600 shoes meaning 300 pairs?

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    I'll take $125,000 and a maple crueller.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    Was the crash caused by negligence?

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    would his lost wages and medical bills total 10 million? I call bullshit.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    Was the crash caused by negligence?

that will be the $20 million question

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    suing the estates of the pilots who died doesnt seem like a classy look imo. cant he get enough out of the airline and goodyear? shouldnt the family of the four guys wo did actually die be getting the biggest payday?

dude definitely deserves some cash out, and i guess you start higher than what you are ready to accept...but 20mil seems way high. id be surprised if he even gets a million, but what do i know.

• good luck getting 20 mill!

• DrBorisQDrBorisQ 298 Posts
    This is stupid.

Everytime you get in a plane there is a small risk that it may hurtle off the runway and burst into flames.

If you are happy taking that risk then get on the plane. If you aren't happy taking that risk then don't get on. Simple.

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    I'll take $125,000 and a maple crueller.

Is that maple glazed or maple infused?

Discuss.

• WRONG-don;t confuse brevity and simplicity with profundity. there is a degree of risk in everything, including crossing the street. there is bad luck or an act of god and then there is negligence. when i get on a plane, for example, i expect that the pilot isn't drunk and the vessel is up to code.

often, the lawyers of the litigants will ask for an exorbitant amount at the outset of the action with the knowledge that they may likely only attain a fraction of what they are asking for.

also, you can be sure the estates of the dead men are also suing. if the dead pilot was responsible for the crash then its only right that the victims of his negligence be compensated for the losses they have sustained.

often, the lawyers of the litigants will ask for an exorbitant amount at the outset of the action with the knowledge that they may likely only attain a fraction of what they are asking for.

• If i'm reading this correct, besides taking legal actions against the big companies involved in the crash. DJ AM "that bitch ass mother f#cker" is going after the estates of the two pilots who died in the crash. That messed up leave them people alone, they have already suffered more than he has. I'm glad i have never paid for anything that involved DJ AM.

This is stupid.

Everytime you get in a plane there is a small risk that it may hurtle off the runway and burst into flames.

If you are happy taking that risk then get on the plane. If you aren't happy taking that risk then don't get on. Simple.

WRONG-don;t confuse brevity and simplicity with profundity. there is a degree of risk in everything, including crossing the street. there is bad luck or an act of god and then there is negligence. when i get on a plane, for example, i expect that the pilot isn't drunk and the vessel is up to code.

also, you can be sure the estates of the dead men are also suing. if the dead pilot was responsible for the crash then its only right that the victims of his negligence be compensated for the losses they have sustained.

:you sound american:

litigation has done more damage to this world than anything else over the last 25 years.

• suing the estates of the pilots who died doesnt seem like a classy look imo. cant he get enough out of the airline and goodyear? shouldnt the family of the four guys wo did actually die be getting the biggest payday?

litigation has done more damage to this world than anything else over the last 25 years.

dumbest thing ever said on soulstrut. and why the last 25 years - did you pluck that number out of the air? there have been laws about as long as there has been man.

• litigation has done more damage to this world than anything else over the last 25 years.

dumbest thing ever said on soulstrut. and why the last 25 years - did you pluck that number out of the air? there have been laws about as long as there has been man.

Though saying litigation has done a lot of damage never the less is probably a safer bet.

I remember this case, and that seriously irratated me:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/1550493/Judge-sues-dry-cleaners-over-lost-trousers.html

• Options
    If i'm reading this correct, besides taking legal actions against the big companies involved in the crash. DJ AM "that bitch ass mother f#cker" is going after the estates of the two pilots who died in the crash. That messed up leave them people alone, they have already suffered more than he has. I'm glad i have never paid for anything that involved DJ AM.

ouch!

b/w

• Taken straight off his blog:
    " I would NEVER sue the deceased pilots' estates or personal holdings. I am more than grateful that I survived this horrible accident and I'd never try to take anything from those that didn't. Despite the misinterpretations of the lawsuit, this suit is against the insurance companies that insured the pilots. I'm not after Sarah's or James' personal estates nor their property. Everyone involved in this suit has suffered a great deal, and I would not do anything to make matters worse for the deceased family and friends.
    DJ AM"

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Dude is one of the most stand up dudes in the business and this whole shit is silly.

• it's a bad look. dude should be glad he survived and was able to quickly recover and be back to normal. Basically :WALKAWAYSON:

If it was the family of the victims, that's a different story.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    it's a bad look. dude should be glad he survived and was able to quickly recover and be back to normal. Basically :WALKAWAYSON:
    Such an action would not be sufficiently gangster.

• it's a bad look. dude should be glad he survived and was able to quickly recover and be back to normal. Basically :WALKAWAYSON:
    Such an action would not be sufficiently gangster.

I just said "don't sue" not "he shouldn't take it to the skreets".

Yeah i picked it out of the air, the mid-80s seems like a reasonable point to say that litigation started to become the next big thing.

I dare say a world where everyone wasn't going around suing each other would be a better place.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    it's a bad look. dude should be glad he survived and was able to quickly recover and be back to normal. Basically :WALKAWAYSON:

Fuck that. AM or not, if I almost got cooked from someone's negligence I would want some compensation.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    The families of the dead pilots should countersue to get compensation for all the free press and TV coverage he got out of the crash.

Yeah i picked it out of the air, the mid-80s seems like a reasonable point to say that litigation started to become the next big thing.

I dare say a world where everyone wasn't going around suing each other would be a better place.

you don't know what you are talking about, so stop. people suing employers who discriminated against them based on race, sex, gender? is that wrong. how about when drunk drivers kill little kids? is it wrong for the parents to sue too? what about the victims of bernie madoff?? or what about Bashir going on trial in the world court for genocide?

frivolous lawsuits they make up a tiny percentage of all lawsuits...and with good reason...it is EXTREMELY expensive to bring a case to trial.

you don't know what you are talking about, so stop. people suing employers who discriminated against them based on race, sex, gender? is that wrong. how about when drunk drivers kill little kids? is it wrong for the parents to sue too? what about the victims of bernie madoff?? or what about Bashir going on trial in the world court for genocide?

frivolous lawsuits they make up a tiny percentage of all lawsuits...and with good reason...it is EXTREMELY expensive to bring a case to trial.

There are much better ways of going about righting these wrongs than suing for money.

As for Bashir, putting out a warrant for his arrest was a stupid thing to do imo. But that is a whole other argument.

• The families of the dead pilots should countersue to get compensation for all the free press and TV coverage he got out of the crash.

The families are not being sued. Insurance companies are.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    none of this shit is our business. And since the story involves the magic words: 'according to TMZ', we really have no clue as to what is going on. really now.

Were any of you in a horrific plane crash? oh no? then shut the F*ck up.

• Does anyone know if DJ AM suffered permanent scars, i remember when it happened the news said that he suffered burns on his hands and face.