Headliners ruining it

disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
edited March 2009 in Strut Central
Which are the kind of instrumentalists or singers making records, that would be defintely more enjoyable if they just stayed away?I always had that feeling with all Gato Barbieri records. You have Bob Thiele producing, Lonnie Liston Smith, Airto, Gabor Szabo...everything's set for a burner and then the guy comes in with his nerve-wrecking supermacho roaarrrrr saxophone on every track.Same goes for some (mostly late) Maynard Ferguson albums although I enjoy pretty much of his stuff. But listening this guy on album length provokes severe thrusts of tinnitus.Some Santana albums would be killer without Santanas awful guitar sound. ("Welcome" - Coltrane composition, Flora Purim, Leon Ware, Joe Farrell, Wayne Shorter.)Can you add more to list? Or do you think Gato Barbieri is a brilliant player and I'm totally off track?

Comments

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    nah, I was listening to Maynard Ferguson this morning & a whole album of high pitched trumpet that sounds like a kazoo can grate after a while, almost a one trick pony, so no, you're not totally off track.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    John McLaughlin ruined 95% of anything he ever played on with his aggressive noodling approach to guitar playing.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Which are the kind of instrumentalists or singers making records, that would be defintely more enjoyable if they just stayed away?

I always had that feeling with all Gato Barbieri records. You have Bob Thiele producing, Lonnie Liston Smith, Airto, Gabor Szabo...everything's set for a burner and then the guy comes in with his nerve-wrecking supermacho roaarrrrr saxophone on every track.

Same goes for some (mostly late) Maynard Ferguson albums although I enjoy pretty much of his stuff. But listening this guy on album length provokes severe thrusts of tinnitus.

Some Santana albums would be killer without Santanas awful guitar sound. ("Welcome" - Coltrane composition, Flora Purim, Leon Ware, Joe Farrell, Wayne Shorter.)

Can you add more to list? Or do you think Gato Barbieri is a brilliant player and I'm totally off track?

Fortunately there are records like Aztec with out Carlos.
    And plenty of records with Smith, Airto...

But I get your drift. I'll try to add more.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I can't come up with examples as good as all you alls.

I keep thinking of breaks that end when the singer or instrumentalist comes in. Those are endless and expected.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    John McLaughlin ruined 95% of anything he ever played on with his aggressive noodling approach to guitar playing.

that was the point however of Mahivishnu Orch....instrumental muscle pyro gymnastics. Its just complicated rhythm section parts without johnny's shredding 64th notes...

I would like to add most of the mexican records I have dug up, killer backings buried under melo-dramtic spanish crooning that is 7 times too loud...