German School Massacre (WTF R)

sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
edited March 2009 in Strut Central
It happened this morning. I think there are even more people dead. Seriously WTF? Not again...SCHOOL MASSACREGerman Teenager Shot Dead by Police After Killing 15 PeopleA 17-year-old youth in Germany killed 15 people on Wednesday in a shooting rampage that began at his school, where he shot dead nine pupils and three teachers. He was shot dead by police outside a supermarket after killing two passers by.A 17-year-old youth killed 15 people in a shooting rampage that began at his former school on Wednesday and ended in a supermarket forecourt where he was shot dead by police after killing two passers by, police said.The teenager walked into the Albertville secondary school in the southwestern town of Winnenden at 9.30 a.m and opened fire indiscriminately in two classrooms, killing nine pupils and three teachers as well as wounding several others.He then fled, shooting dead a further person on his way, as police mounted a massive manhunt with helicopters and sniffer dogs.Police located him in the town of Wendlingen 40 kilometers away. Two police officers were seriously wounded in that final shootout, police said."The attacker just opened fire indiscriminately," a police spokesman told SPIEGEL ONLINE. The youth has not yet been named.Media reports said his parents had 18 licensed firearms in their home in a neighboring town. His father is reported to be a well-off businessman. Special units of the police stormed the house and are questioning his mother, reports said.Winnenden, has around 27,600 inhabitants and is located 20 kilometers northeast of Stuttgart. Schools of its type teach pupils between the ages of 10 and 16.More than 1,000 pupils were led to safety. German news channel N-TV reported that there was chaos around the school complex as parents were gathering there. "You can see the shock and horror in people's eyes," one eyewitness said.It is the worst school shooting in Germany since the massacre of Erfurt in April 2002 when former pupil Robert Steinh??user shot dead 13 teachers, two pupils, a police officer and himself. More than a dozen ambulances are at the school.In 2006, an 18-year-old former pupil wounded 37 people in Emsdetten in northwestern Germany before killing himself.http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/0,1518,612612,00.html

Comments

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Hot on the heels of Alabama.

Someone will say "Never thought this could happen in my town/area".
    Another will say "He seemed so normal".
    Yet another will say "I always thought he was weird".

People who perpetrate such crimes are at the furthest ends of the human behavioral Bell curve distribution.

You have to trust to luck that you and yours never fall victim to the randomness.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Hot on the heels of Alabama.

Someone will say "Never thought this could happen in my town/area".
    Another will say "He seemed so normal".
    Yet another will say "I always thought he was weird".

People who perpetrate such crimes are at the furthest ends of the human behavioral Bell curve distribution.

You have to trust to luck that you and yours never fall victim to the randomness.

So true.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    "Never thought this could happen in my town/area". aka My area is nice, no honestly it is[/b]
    "He seemed so normal".aka I feel bad for not noticing this guy was nuts[/b]
    "I always thought he was weird".aka I told anyone who would listen that this guy was nuts and now I have been VINDICATED[/b]

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,890 Posts
    What about that 'Strut-known "I 3 Dragons" nutcase and his ray-chist views? The one who sits on the tram ranting to himself? Surely destined to feature in an article ending "...before turning the weapon on himself." I must remember to rep a dragon when in SF.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,890 Posts
    Thing that surprises me though... Why does this kind of thing *not* happen in places with generally high murder-rates? It's always in sleepy hollows etc., never "Da Ghetto".