if you traveled halfway around the world...

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited March 2009 in Strut Central
...wouldnt you be a little disappointed?This GIANT (6'11", 7') German Teddyboy just came into the shop, dressed to the nines with his tiny Betty Page lookalike girlfriend just as happy as shit to be in Memphis...asking for Rockabilly records, etc like most teddyboys that come into the shop...then he asked "Where are the Rockabilly Bars!!??" I said, "There is no such thing"The look of disappointment was really something...I went on to tell him that outside of a few storefronts that are either something else now or abandoned (Meteor records, Fernwood,etc) there is nothing rockabilly left in this town*, hell we dont even have a rockabilly band...Sorry, the dream is over dude.*aside from Sun studios of course...but I could see from his shopping bag he had already been there

Comments

• barjesusbarjesus 872 Posts
    This is the saddest thing I've read in a while.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Sadly hilarious. I can't beleive you don't have at least 1 rockabilly band in town. Shit SD has a few.

• SelinaKyle83SelinaKyle83 1,042 Posts
    v disappointing indeed but one would have thought that maybe a search on the internets ey would have revealed this info b4 a ticket was purr-chased especially if the soul purpose of the trip/destination was to hit up said rockabilly joints of yesteryear......
    i'd still be bummed!!

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    This reminds me of a thread from years back where Shig asked how Rockabilly dudes sleep. Because the hair and all. Shit was funny.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    This reminds me of a thread from years back where Shig asked how Rockabilly dudes sleep. Because the hair and all. Shit was funny.

maybe they just tie it up in a doo-rag to keep it in place?

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Sad, did you point him to Graceland........

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    Sad, did you point him to Graceland........

....... and sell him a Brian Setzer Orchestra CD?

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts

maybe they just tie it up in a doo-rag to keep it in place?

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    with this economy...it would seem like a growth sector.
    memphis rockabilly bands...WANTED

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    ..." a rockabilly pastor whom nobody knows"....

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

explain

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts

explain

Rockabilly is an affordable lifestyle choice?

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    I'm told eventually they'll build the Carl Perkins museum in Jackson TN (not MS) and this guy will have a destination to visit, only an hour and a half outside of Memphis. My wife's uncle lives around the corner from where Perkins lived until his death, I believe there is indeed a guitar shaped swimming pool there.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,899 Posts
    I haven't seen proper Rockabillys/Teds since the late 70's, early 80's when there seemed to be a kind of revival in the UK with Stray Cats and Matchbox etc. When I went to secondary school in 79 the gang looks were either mod, ted, or metal.

The scooter scene has a Psychobilly element to it, I think the likes of the Guanabats are/were the influence of the sound, but the costume of choice is boots, combat kecks, flying jacket and quiff (shaved sides).