COUNTRY MUSIC...

CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
edited March 2009 in Strut Central
... Holy shit, how the hell did it happen that I'm trying to see this? You know, like I'm f*cking with this steez.Few months ago at The Rub I ended up somehow throwing this up into the mix:

Granted, I know country got some real steez. Old school Hank Williams is dope, cant front on him. But never really got into it. Now like I'm really trying to see this shit. But not trying to get caught up on some bullschitt. When it comes to country I need to see THE REAL. But sounds like most that new shit is corny.PS - it's no question that mad country chunes is HARD AS F*ck. That Ruby shit is HARD kid.

Comments

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Cosmo...I appreciate your enthusiasm.....In the early 90's I bought out a Country Radio Station in Iowa.....6,000+ LP's dating from '54 - '68 .....I wasn't a big fan until then...it was a real ear opener.....once you dive that deep you'll never listen to Kenny Rogers again.

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    I used to throw some Country in to my Blues sets.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Cosmo...I appreciate your enthusiasm.....In the early 90's I bought out a Country Radio Station in Iowa.....6,000+ LP's dating from '54 - '68 .....I wasn't a big fan until then...it was a real ear opener.....once you dive that deep you'll never listen to Kenny Rogers again.

Country music is beautiful, period.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Nothing's messing with ol' Patsy.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Kenny Rogers and First Edition's Greatest lp stays in rotation at my spot, its one of my girls favorites. Pretty hard almost all the way through, think I mentioned it on here once to crickets. Just Dropped In, Heed The Call, Tell It All Brother, all bangin..

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I always wondered if it was something that hit you at a certain age. I wouldn't even have considered giving much of this music the time of day a few years ago but since getting the wrong side of thirty it's something that is becoming more and more tempting to dabble in......

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts

braekz for dayz

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I always wondered if it was something that hit you at a certain age. I wouldn't even have considered giving much of this music the time of day a few years ago but since getting the wrong side of thirty it's something that is becoming more and more tempting to dabble in......

I appreciate the fact that my Mom dabbled in pretty much everything when I was growing up, so it wasn't uncommon to eat breakfast to Kenny and then jam out to some Midnight Starr on the way to school.

I will say that waking up to Expose being blasted at 5am while Mom got her aerobics on was NOT fun though.

But yeah...it's because of her that I love Coal Miner's Daughter so much.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    At 5:50, Devin the Dude breaks it down...

• DCarfagnaDCarfagna 983 Posts
    When it comes to country I need to see THE REAL.
    Very much like soul and funk, the hardest and realest C&W is on 45. When you begin to dig even slightly below the Haggard-Cash-Cline-Wagoner surface, you'll find shit that will truly blow your mind. Country is very much like rap in the fact that it all "sounds the same," but when one becomes versed in the stuff, you see that it comes down to nuance and sublime inflection.

Very much like soul and funk, the hardest and realest C&W is on 45. When you begin to dig even slightly below the Haggard-Cash-Cline-Wagoner surface, you'll find shit that will truly blow your mind. Country is very much like rap in the fact that it all "sounds the same," but when one becomes versed in the stuff, you see that it comes down to nuance and sublime inflection.

Those country 45 mixes you put together were great.....I'd recommend to the person just getting their feet wet to start with Starday, Audio Lab & King labels.

Some of the bluegrass stuff is deep.

And like Rap, lots of songs about outlaws and vices!!

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Classique...

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    anybody hip to Audie Malone? Depressing, but has an amazing charm:

• ThermosThermos 307 Posts
    Devin the Dude is such a cool motherfucker. I love that he doesn't even talk any shit about, "you know a lotta rap cats aren't into this country, or up on this reggae." He just gets straight to singing all his favorite songs from memory, and getting all hyped up on the music.

anybody hip to Audie Malone? Depressing, but has an amazing charm:

Very nice.

Here's my review and some clips of my favorite country LP EVAR!!

http://waxidermy.com/2007/11/01/richard-gibbs-no-use-to-grieve-malinda-101/

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Could Jolene being recognizable have anything to the White Stripes covering it a while back?

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Kenny Rogers and First Edition's Greatest lp stays in rotation at my spot, its one of my girls favorites. Pretty hard almost all the way through, think I mentioned it on here once to crickets. Just Dropped In, Heed The Call, Tell It All Brother, all bangin..

I never thought I'd hear the term "hard" to refer to a Kenny Rogers album. From my limited research, "Just Dropped In" (which was his big fake-psychedelia move) is probably the ONLY hard moment in Kenny's catalog...Cosmo ain't lyin': anybody who considers Kenny "authentic country" definitely needs THE REAL!

Those country 45 mixes you put together were great.....I'd recommend to the person just getting their feet wet to start with Starday, Audio Lab & King labels.

With a combined stable that included the likes of Hawkshaw Hawkins, Zeb Turner, George Jones, the York Brothers, Lonnie Irving, and several others, you can't go wrong with Starday/King. It wasn't just the House That James Brown Built (like a lot of novice cratediggers seem to think)!

You should really try to track down Orville Couch's Hello Trouble album on Vee Jay (reissued on CD at some point)...yeah, there is the novelty aspect of Vee Jay releasing a country record, but the music doesn't lie; great stuff...I think Orville had a hit or two, but since he never really broke into the Cash/Cline popularity realm, I guess we can call him obscure. The real schitt, personified.

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    Okie From Muskogee

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts

I never thought I'd hear the term "hard" to refer to a Kenny Rogers album. From my limited research, "Just Dropped In" (which was his big fake-psychedelia move) is probably the ONLY hard moment in Kenny's catalog...Cosmo ain't lyin': anybody who considers Kenny "authentic country" definitely needs THE REAL!

No your right, I could've phrased that better. I never really would've considered Kenny to be my style, but a lot of the production and songwriting on that album is pretty heavy and almost funky (maybe a stretch). I dunno, maybe people will feel differently, but Heed The Call hits kinda hard.

But yeah, I most definitely do not know the real when it comes to country, generally I can get down when its more on the rock or blues side of things (like that First Edition lp) as opposed to the more twangy variety.

Wouldn't mind hearing some of Dante (or Rock's) country mixes if they're freely available. Anyone want to knowledge me?

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    We listened to Kenny Rogers on family vacations growing up, so I know all the words to a lot of his songs. Then there was a tape with him and lorretta lynn that we listened to all the time, aretha franklin was a favorite, mamas and papas, air supply. joan jett. all good stuff.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Yes, well I definitely WAS saying that "Ruby" is a hard ass record. I mean, I'm not mad at Kenny at all ("Islands In The Stream" = PRG Classique) but I don't think he's really the type of sound I'm checking for, aside from a few of those Special Edition tracks.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

Private Press country records have not been touched.
    Bins are full of that stuff.

Local favorite; Buzz Martin.
    If you have seen that Johnny Cash movie that starts off with Johnny torturing animals, then you have heard Buzz. He is the guy singing to Johnny back stage, comparing his wife to a biscuit.

Private Press country records have not been touched.
    Bins are full of that stuff.

"Miss Pauline," a 45 by Henry Briggs on the Comet label...don't know whether this was a private press or just a small record label seriously trying to make it big, but in any event, this rekkid is, how you say... . Sounds like Sleepy LaBeef fronting the Buckaroos.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    kitty wells is my latest country fave...

all you need:

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Yes, well I definitely WAS saying that "Ruby" is a hard ass record.

Not exactly "country", but check this version

http://www.divshare.com/download/4010161-82f

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    At 5:50, Devin the Dude breaks it down...

That's the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread. Devin could do a straight up country album - he's got a GREAT voice.

• ladydayladyday 623 Posts
    A friend hipped me to this heartbreaker:

I can hardly bear the sight of lipstick
    On the cigarettes there in the ashtray
    Lying cold the way you left them
    But least your lips caressed them
    While you packed

And a lip print on a half-filled cup of coffee
    That you poured and didn't drink
    But at least you thought you wanted it
    That's so much more than I can say for me

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    i can mess with some patsy and dolly any day

might be little dude, but alls fair

id love to hear the dante country mixes

Very much like soul and funk, the hardest and realest C&W is on 45. When you begin to dig even slightly below the Haggard-Cash-Cline-Wagoner surface, you'll find shit that will truly blow your mind.

With all due respect to Dante, who more than knows his stuff, here's a word for all you future cratediggers who decide to feel your country oats:

JUST BECAUSE YOU FOUND SOME CLASSIC OBSCURE COUNTRY ON 45, THAT IS NO EXCUSE TO STOP LISTENING TO THE OBVIOUS GREATS. PATSY CLINE AND THEM SOLD RECORDS FOR A REASON - BECAUSE THEY WERE DAMN GOOD, THAT'S WHY. SO IF YOU FIND SOME PRIVATE-PRESS C&W JOINT BY "TEX NOBODY," DON'T START ACTING LIKE "JOHNNY CASH AT FOLSOM PRISON" IS USELESS. I'VE HEARD SOME REAL GOOD "TEX NOBODY" RECORDS, BUT THAT "RECORD COLLECTOR SNOB" THING AIN'T GONNA FLY!

SURE, THE HARDEST AND REALEST C&W IS ON 45. AND SOME OF THEM 45'S JUST HAPPEN TO BE BY HAGGARD, CASH, CLINE AND WAGONER...

peace out!