Things That AREN'T Bullshit

CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
edited March 2009 in Strut Central
1) Went to the coffee shop after looking at the house that I'm putting a bid on, and realized that I didn't have any cash. Dude was like "You live around here" and I was like "Nah." He asked if I worked around there and I said I didn't but my wife did. He was like "Just drop it off next time you're around the way."2) Got off the train and walked down the street bopping to this until some teenager runs up from behind me and grabs my arm. I turn around and he's panting saying "Hey man, you dropped your phone back there." Some little old lady comes up, carrying my Blackberry over a block out her way to give it to me.3) Come home and put on iTunes on "RANDOM" and this album comes up, and I'm listening to it right now, and it's EXACTLY what I want to hear right now (and a good foil to that other rap thread on the strut.) What's good in YOUR hood?

Comments

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    not bullshit
    Love my new (2nd) job...finding out some of the stories of some of the kids at I teach/counsel (some heavy, sad shit) makes me feel I am actually contributing something to the world by showing up to work and helping these kids out

girl coming home from work with a bag full of grass-fed ribeyes, killer discount + butcher shop at her store having more than they can move=

United States of Tara (showtime TV show related)

New Indian Restaurant in town that kills it

My bank's computer system was not working one day, so my debit card wouldnt work when I went to purchase some records at a spot the other day, so shop owner let me give him an IOU for them...

• My boy Chuck looking out for me on the professional tip. That dude is DUDE in the DUDEST sense.

Miss Mary Johnson, the 90 year old woman in Donaldsonville, LA who I'm doing a story about right now.

Gift Certificate for personal training, and what it's taught me- NOT BULLSHIT.

• Oh, and my mom. She is NO BULLSHIT. Home from surgery this morning by 11:30.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    girl coming home from work with a bag full of grass-fed ribeyes, killer discount + butcher shop at her store having more than they can move=

I work as a reporter and one of the topics I cover sometimes is the cash livestock market. It's really amazing how much the stock market directly effects the mood of that market -- and how quickly folks stop buying expensive meat when things get tough (pasue). Anyway, you should be able to find lots of meat sales if you are looking.

Here's a little real talk on that subject from a fellow reporter's market report:

* Talk circulated that supermarkets will be promoting beef in upcoming advertisements and that talk was supported by higher cash beef prices, sources said.
    * Beef and pork prices generally trend higher in the spring as the cookout season gets under way. But, some traders cautioned that it appears too early for such a trend to start.

Things that are not bullshit:

Sitting on the couch on a quiet evening, with a basketball game on TV, beer in hand, girl resting her head on my shoulder. Sweet, sweet domestic bliss.

Weather finally starting to turn. Last year's winter was the harshest and longest I could remember. This year's was longer and harsher.

The Godfather trilogy on Blu-Ray. Not sure this can be topped -- I could watch the first two DVDs over and over and over. The blacks get so dark the way Coppola shot this. A perfect piece of art.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    my folks
    my cats
    my records
    and my city

• 1. Heading south to DC and VA with my man DJ Prestige to spin this Friday and Saturday (see Announcements). May even do some digging between shows...

2. Staying home to take care of my sons is turning out to be the best thing I've done in a long time. The family stress level has been reduced in a big way, and I'm really discovering the meaning of quality time

3. Economizing drastically on record buying, but still finding some cool stuff at low prices.

4. Blogs still going strong...

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    My wife is not, and does not take any bullshit.

Heading back to philly for the weekend to see my family is not bullshit.

My tax return was not bullshit.

This bottle of scotch I picked up over the weekend is not bullshit

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    Anyway, you should be able to find lots of meat sales if you are looking.

(pasue)

Ayo!

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Went diggin in some charity shops today. found no records. But I did find 3 pairs of trousers, a fred perry shirt and a real nice leather jacket.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts

United States of Tara (showtime TV show related)

My girl turned me on to this recently. Good show.

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    this thread is not bullshit.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    My tax return was not bullshit either.

Neither was my Q4 and annual bonus.

The fact that I'm still getting an annual raise in addition to my Q4 and annual bonus is not bullshit.

The homemade turkey sausage and pasta dinner that was made for me last night was not bullshit.

Neither was the leotard that was wrapped around the lady who made it for me.

Google Reader is not bullshit.

My 9 year old goddaughter who rocks her own handmade outfits is not bullshit. This girl is a non-bullshitter when it comes to a sewing machine! She even has her own little designer tags to put on!

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    1) Went to the coffee shop after looking at the house that I'm putting a bid on, and realized that I didn't have any cash. Dude was like "You live around here" and I was like "Nah." He asked if I worked around there and I said I didn't but my wife did. He was like "Just drop it off next time you're around the way."

2) Got off the train and walked down the street bopping to this until some teenager runs up from behind me and grabs my arm. I turn around and he's panting saying "Hey man, you dropped your phone back there." Some little old lady comes up, carrying my Blackberry over a block out her way to give it to me.

Damn Cos, the karma pendulum swung real good in your direction. You have to keep that shit moving now.

Not bullshit:

The grade I got on my Cisco semester final exam yesterday.

Some old friends coming into town this weekend. Wreck will be caught.

As white tea mentioned, the weather in Chicago and the change it creates in women's clothing choices.

*edit* I cosine on this:

Google Reader is not bullshit.

• SelinaKyle83SelinaKyle83 1,042 Posts
    -the look on a stranger's face when you offer them your still valid train(or whatever) ticket as they are waiting to purchase one themselves!!

-having your partner travel half way across the map/or anywhere for that matter, just to hang wit chew!!

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    Alaska Helicopter mission yesterday was the complete opposite of bullshit.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

Wow!

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts

perfect jpeg-graemlin balance.

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    My new phone isn't bullshit.
    Street fighter 4 isn't bullshit.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    http://www.document-records.com/

This label has so many recordings that I want to get my hands on.... sheesh... so much good stuff.

• DrBorisQDrBorisQ 298 Posts
    Having a shit day at work, then walking home watching the sun set with a huge smile. Watching that sunset will never ever get old.

Sitting around talking shit and drinking beers with my buddies. I'm going to miss those guys come a few weeks.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    My new crib.

My beautiful nieces and nephew.

Long bike rides.

The homie's bachelor party in Vegas this Friday.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts

BRO.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    This one's harder.

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    My tax return was not bullshit.

You sure as hell aren't kidding...just finished mine,ouch.

On the upside the little baby in my wife's belly ain't BS either

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    The instrumental to this Ali Shaheed Muhammed of Japanese pop-star Shota is definitely NOT bullshit...

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

Got this in yesterday and it's the first time I spent more than 30 minutes playing in I don't even know how long. Very happy so far. Weekend is already dedicated to learning this as much as I can and reading these music theory books I bought.

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts

Going here next week, a hot spring in the middle of nowhere in northern Japan. Definately not bullshit.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    The instrumental to this Ali Shaheed Muhammed of Japanese pop-star Shota is definitely NOT bullshit...

Can we get a taste of this?