Download! Tribute to Lyn Collins

SoulpowerSoulpower 204 Posts
edited March 2009 in Announcements
On March 13th four years ago, Lyn Collins[/b] surprisingly passed away only days after having returned from her first European tour as a headliner. First a little background on Lyn for those who are not familiar with her (courtsey of Wikipedia): Lyn Collins (12 June 1948 ??? 13 March 2005) was an African American soul singer best known for working with James Brown in the 1970s. Contrary to some reports, she is not related to Bootsy Collins, nor Catfish Collins. Born in Abilene, Texas, U.S.A., she began her recording career aged 14. Her biggest solo hit was the James Brown-produced gospel-style song "Think (About It)", from her 1972 album of the same name on People Records. The song contains 5 breaks which have been widely sampled in hip-hop and drum and bass, most famously, the "Woo! Yeah!" backing loop in Rob Base and DJ E-Z Rock's It Takes Two which is composed almost completely from samples of Think including a few lines of Collins' vocals. Furthermore, it was used in the early sociocritical eurodance classic I Can't Stand It by Twenty 4 Seven. Another album followed in 1975 Check Me Out If You Don't Know Me by Now. After the release of this album, she returned to performing mainly as a back-up vocalist. In the late 80s and early 90s, Collins attempted a comeback as a dance/club diva, recording the house single "Shout" for Belgium's ARS label. In 1993, Collins' profile was given a boost by female dancehall singer Patra, who invited Collins to perform on her hit remake of "Think (About It)"; partly due to the resulting interest, her two official albums were reissued in England and Holland. Collins continued to tour and perform, most notably at the European Jazz/Funk Festival (in both 1998 and 1999) and the Montreux Jazz Festival. Shortly after returning from a European tour in February 2005, Collins died aged 56 in Pasadena, California, following a cardiac arrest. This coming Friday, March 6th, we'll dedicate the full two hours of our weekly radio show Midnight Soulstice to Lyn. We'll play her music, some interviews snippets and we'll have some guests - including Fred Wesley - who will join us live on the show to talk about Lyn. If you're a fan, you should definitely tune in from 11 pm to 1 am Eastern Time by clicking the lives stream on www.wrir.org [/b]

Comments

• SoulpowerSoulpower 204 Posts
    Show airs tonight!

• SoulpowerSoulpower 204 Posts
    Last week's Midnight Soulstice was a tribute to Soul diva Lyn Collins, who passed away this March four years ago. Listen to many of Lyn's unforgettable tracks and hear Fred Wesley, Marva Whitney and other guests on the show talk about Lyn. This download is a must for every James Brown fan!

Download here:

http://wrir.org/x/modules/news/article.php?storyid=9229

Playlist:

- Lyn Collins: It's a foggy Day (People)
    - Lyn Collins: Rock me again & again & again & again & again & again (People)
    - Lyn Collins: Wheel of Life (Polydor)
    - Lyn Collins & James Brown: Just won't do right (Polydor)
    - Lyn Collins: Things got to get better (People)
    - Lyn Collins: Fly me to the Moon (People)
    - Lyn Collins: Me and my baby got a good thing going (People)
    - Lyn Collins: Think (About it) (People)
    - Lyn Collins: Give it up or turnit a loose (People)
    - Lyn Collins: Don't make me over (People)
    - Lyn Collins: Wild Awake in a Dream (People)
    - Lyn Collins: To each his Own (People)
    - Lyn Collins: Never gonna give you up (People)
    - Lyn Collins: Take me just as I am (People)
    - Lyn Collins: Do your thing (People)
    - Lyn Collins: Women's Lib (People)
    - Lyn Collins: You can't love me if you don't respect me (People)
    - Lyn Collins: Mr. Bigstuff (People)
    - Lyn Collins: Backstabbers (People)
    - Lyn Collins: Mama Feelgood (People)