Get Christie Love!/Nubia

Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
edited March 2009 in Strut Central
What's the word on this show? Ive never seen it - ANYWHERE.Is the music "FunkyBlackManSoul"?Apparently Teresa Graves was suppossed to play Nubia - On the Wonder Woman series opposite Lynda Carter. But the storyline didnt get picked up.
the character of Nubia was planned to be introduced on the network television show, but CBS cancelled the program before this could happen.
Mego created the doll in her likeness to coincide w/ the new character.

Comments

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

What's the word on this show? Ive never seen it - ANYWHERE.

Is the music "FunkyBlackManSoul"?

Apparently Teresa Graves was suppossed to play Nubia - On the Wonder Woman series opposite Lynda Carter. But the storyline didnt get picked up.

the character of Nubia was planned to be introduced on the network television show, but CBS cancelled the program before this could happen.

It's one of those shows that you used to see on VHS, where they ran together like 4 episodes and put it out as a blaxploitation flick, quality so bad as to be barely watchable (akin to the Green Hornet 'movies' that you used to see on budget VHS).

While anything is possible in this brave new world of reissues and nostalgia TV-to-DVD box sets, I would be VERY surprised to see this surface in any official capacity. It's not like 'The Rockford Files' or even 'Baretta' in terms of poular shows. It's probably even less know than 'That's My Mama!'!

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts

What's the word on this show? Ive never seen it - ANYWHERE.

Is the music "FunkyBlackManSoul"?

Apparently Teresa Graves was suppossed to play Nubia - On the Wonder Woman series opposite Lynda Carter. But the storyline didnt get picked up.

Funnily enough, a few years ago, it turned up on a UK satellite channel which occasionally pads out its schedules with old "cult" TV. I caught it once and watched out of Reservoir Dogs-related curiosity, but it looked dated and the picture quality was lousy. I like all that old Tamara Dobson/Pam Grier bad-sista stuff, but there really wasn't much of note about this. Teresa Graves is/was cute, though.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    While anything is possible in this brave new world of reissues and nostalgia TV-to-DVD box sets, I would be VERY surprised to see this surface in any official capacity. It's not like 'The Rockford Files' or even 'Baretta' in terms of poular shows. It's probably even less know than 'That's My Mama!'!

The show was only around for one season, but then so was Square Pegs and you see THAT'S out on DVD. So, I believe it is possible. The show was on for barely a second, but those who were around then remember.

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    Im just wondering if they gave it the Blaxploitation music score. Kinda like Starsky & Hutch or any "Funky" show from the early/mid 70's.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    you didn't try youtube?

Im just wondering if they gave it the Blaxploitation music score. Kinda like Starsky & Hutch or any "Funky" show from the early/mid 70's.

I forget the actual score, but I can tell you that the show had TWO different theme songs - they changed up in midseason - and the first one was rather "vanilla" (no other word for it). It was uptempo, but I couldn't call it funky by any stretch. IIRC, it had this Fifth Dimension-ish vocal group and a blaring horn section, but it was hardly as edgy as most cop-show themes of the time.

I forget what theme #2 sounded like...

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts

The show was only around for one season, but then so was Square Pegs and you see THAT'S out on DVD. So, I believe it is possible. The show was on for barely a second, but those who were around then remember.

Square Pegs? I used to love that show. They ran it during the very early days of Channel 4 over here, and I always wondered what became of it. It seemed pretty sharp and cynical for its time, more so than Fast Times At Ridgemont High (which isn't to say Fast Times isn't a good picture). It was Sarah Jessica Parker's first gig as well, IIRC - Jami Gertz, too. For years afterwards, I swore that Lauren was played by Elizabeth McGovern.

Me and a couple of my boys used to run an occasional club night in the early 80s under the name of the Weemawee Pep Committee. The logo on the flyer was a picture of a South American orphan.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,090 Posts
    The TV movie pilot can be found via those budget-bin public domain DVDs you find at pharmacies (which I love to collect, even if I have no intention or time to watch most of them!), usually along side stuff like Velvet Smooth, The Final Comedown and various Fred Williamson quickies. And yes, the quality is horrible. As far as the music, I remember it being standard Mike Post-style stuff. No wah-wah, clavinet and braeks, as I recall.

Funnily enough, a few years ago, it turned up on a UK satellite channel which occasionally pads out its schedules with old "cult" TV.

I heard about this. I guess Sky One (?) struck a deal with the Universal TV archives. A guy at this quarterly movie collectors' convention I attend has boots of all sorts of failed TV series he taped from satellite TV. I could ask him for this next time I see him if anyone is interested. Any of you in Los Angeles or NYC could also go to the Museum of Radio and Television where they have archives of this stuff, too...including the infamous Turn-On!, also starring Theresa Graves, which was supposedly taken off the air half-way through its first episode. The story about her is a trip...she converted a Witness, recorded a sole self-titled record which flopped and died after injuries from a house fire downtown several years ago. Sad.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Square Pegs? I used to love that show. They ran it during the very early days of Channel 4 over here, and I always wondered what became of it. It seemed pretty sharp and cynical for its time, more so than Fast Times At Ridgemont High (which isn't to say Fast Times isn't a good picture). It was Sarah Jessica Parker's first gig as well, IIRC - Jami Gertz, too. For years afterwards, I swore that Lauren was played by Elizabeth McGovern.

Me and a couple of my boys used to run an occasional club night in the early 80s under the name of the Weemawee Pep Committee. The logo on the flyer was a picture of a South American orphan.

One could argue that the popularity of Sara Jessica Parker and the buying public being EXACTLY the right age to make a show like 'Square Pegs' easily viable on DVD. With Get Christie Love, you really just have the blaxploitation angle, and I think that limits it's chances for the cleaned up transfer treatment. Plus, it's possible that quality tapes of the show may not even exist anymore. The more I hear about how video and film from back in the day was treated, makes you kinda sad for some of these old shows that were possibly not archived properly.

One could argue that the popularity of Sara Jessica Parker and the buying public being EXACTLY the right age to make a show like 'Square Pegs' easily viable on DVD.

Even before Sex & The City, Gen X nostalgia and all that jazz, I remember the show being in syndicated reruns as early as 1986...a mere three years after the show was cancelled. And I know Nick At Nite has shown Square Pegs off and on through the years, so it's not just a sudden thing to cash in on SJP.

Plus, it's possible that quality tapes of the show may not even exist anymore. The more I hear about how video and film from back in the day was treated, makes you kinda sad for some of these old shows that were possibly not archived properly.

I think by 1974-75 (when Get Christie Love! was on), the networks got their shit together as far as saving tapes.

If I'm wrong, joke's on me, but everytime I hear about old shows being erased or destroyed, it was either (a) from the fifties and sixties, or (b) some local station with a small budget (like the Chicago version of Soul Train). But seems like if it was on a network, from the seventies on up, most if not all copies survive in some form.