Wild Bunch/Soul II Soul soundclash NYE '87

DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts
edited February 2009 in Strut Central
It's a bit rough and ready in more ways than one, but this is a nice bit of UK clubland history here. Bristol's Wild Bunch crew (featuring Daddy G & 3D, later of Massive Attack, and Nellee Hooper) versus Soul II Soul NYE 1987, somewhere in London.

Comments

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Good times. thanks Doc

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Wicked.

• Options
    DLing now, thanks for posting this I'm looking forward to checking it out.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    Awesome. Thanks for this. I've always wanted to delve into and learn about UK sound system culture but never made the time. This is a great way to start.

• YES!!! Thanks!

• Options
    Don't sleep on the Massive Attack radio set from '94 either, I just finished listening to them both and they'll be on the ipod for awhile.

• wow.
    this is awesome. my parents took me to the africa centre in london on a sunday for 'freedom to party' when i was 12 years old to see 4 groups that would later become parts of technotronic and soul 2 soul, my little mind was blown and i didn't eat or sleep for 2 days afterward. they did a 20 minute cover of 'strawberry fields forever' with 808 and 50 stage dancers in full red black and green regailia. this footage is crazy. thank you!

• Options
    wow.
    this is awesome. my parents took me to the africa centre in london on a sunday for 'freedom to party' when i was 12 years old to see 4 groups that would later become parts of technotronic and soul 2 soul, my little mind was blown and i didn't eat or sleep for 2 days afterward. they did a 20 minute cover of 'strawberry fields forever' with 808 and 50 stage dancers in full red black and green regailia. this footage is crazy. thank you!

Jesus...my parents took me to a Mets game when I was 12, I have no idea who they played and laugh now to think that the whole team was geeked off the toots.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    I know I'm late with this, but thanks a ton for posting this up. Soul II Soul was real important to me, and this is thrilling to listen to.

And this seems like a good place to mention that in my ongoing mental shortlist of Threads I'd Like To See On Soulstrut, "Doc McCoy And Supergood Talk About Soul II Soul" is usually near the top.

Anyway, thanks again.

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    Haven't even checked it yet but I know it's gonna be good. Word. Thank you as well!

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Awesome. Thanks for this. I've always wanted to delve into and learn about UK sound system culture but never made the time. This is a great way to start.

You should catch this movie then.

• matamaticmatamatic 488 Posts
    anybody check this out yet? And if so should I cop?

http://musicallymad.com/

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    anybody check this out yet? And if so should I cop?

http://musicallymad.com/

I was interested but then (I seem to remember) it focuses mainly on the digital steppers scene, something I have no interested in at all.

• trzakhstantrzakhstan IA 198 Posts
    Who's the guy in the sweet poncho in the picture in the link?

More importantly, where do I get one of those?

Good music, bts.