Still thinking in terms of left vs. right?

HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
edited February 2009 in Strut Central
Why?Doesn't seem like many are able to look at the Obama presidency or even the current situation at large without filtering it through some antiquated donkey against elephant screen of reactionary hogwash. It pains me to see this idiotic torch still being carried by the public. Bad enough that the actual parties and their media lackeys perpetrate the false dynamic as much as they do, but to see average Joe shaking pom poms so vigorously over this devisive bullshit is on some next level blockhead. Lift thyself out of the quagmire already. It's clearly getting us nowhere.

Comments

• why cant we all just toe the line?

• Lift thyself out of the quagmire

OHHHHHH. YEEEEEAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Why?

Doesn't seem like many are able to look at the Obama presidency or even the current situation at large without filtering it through some antiquated donkey against elephant screen of reactionary hogwash.

It pains me to see this idiotic torch still being carried by the public. Bad enough that the actual parties and their media lackeys perpetrate the false dynamic as much as they do, but to see average Joe shaking pom poms so vigorously over this devisive bullshit is on some next level blockhead.

Lift thyself out of the quagmire already. It's clearly getting us nowhere.

Good idea.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Why?

Doesn't seem like many are able to look at the Obama presidency or even the current situation at large without filtering it through some antiquated donkey against elephant screen of reactionary hogwash.

It pains me to see this idiotic torch still being carried by the public. Bad enough that the actual parties and their media lackeys perpetrate the false dynamic as much as they do, but to see average Joe shaking pom poms so vigorously over this devisive bullshit is on some next level blockhead.

Good idea.

Done. Now what?

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Rebuild 'Merica.

• Why?

political issues are only "issues" because there's a disagreement. while its rare to find unanimity among all dems or all republicans for a single issue, its common to find disagreements between the parties because dems share common ideals, as do republicans.

• Why?

Good idea.

Done. Now what?

LET'S ROLL!

a joint.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    harvey is antidexterous.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Why?

Good idea.

Done. Now what?

Great post. Thomas Jefferson said, "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around [the banks] will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs.[/b]"

What do you guys think about that? Congress certainly has the power to End The Fed ...

Why?

Good idea.

Done. Now what?

Great post. Thomas Jefferson said, "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around [the banks] will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs.[/b]"

What do you guys think about that? Congress certainly has the power to End The Fed ...

I think it sounds like something somebody recently made up and then attributed to Jefferson to give it more weight.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Another famous Jefferson said:

"If I paid you to think, you could cash your check at the penny arcade."

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Why?

Good idea.

Done. Now what?

I think it sounds like something somebody recently made up and then attributed to Jefferson to give it more weight.

Jefferson said a lot on the subject, but not that.

en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Thomas_Jefferson says the same thing.

But in his he did say, "And I sincerely believe, with you, that banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies; and that the principle of spending money to be paid by posterity, under the name of funding, is but swindling futurity on a large scale."

And:

"Bank paper must be suppressed, and the circulating medium must be restored to the nation to whom it belongs."

And, he was Alexander Hamilton's arch enemy. Hamilton was the biggest proponent of a central bank ...

Why?

Good idea.

Done. Now what?

Hah! I called it!
    Language was much too modern.
    Homeless? Inflation? Deflation?
    Not 18th century concerns.

And, he was Alexander Hamilton's arch enemy. Hamilton was the biggest proponent of a central bank ...

Important to remember that the founding fathers agreed on very little beyond a disdain for King George.

For every quote proving that the founding fathers believed one thing you can find a quote that proves they believed the opposite.

I recently heard that the writers of the constitution [Constitutional Convention] contained very few of the signers of the Declaration of Independence.

The signers of the DoI were [largely] radicals, who strongly believed in rule "by the people".

After independence, wealthy landowners were not thrilled by this new concept.
    They turned out to in force to make sure "the people" did not get too much power.
    Thus 3 equal branches of government.
    2 unequal branches of congress.
    Judge are appointed.
    Senators are appointed to six years. [Later amended to a vote.]
    Representatives are elected for just 2 years and they represent only a small district. [Later amended to cap the number of representatives.]

All in all, it has been a pretty good system.
    I would like to replace congress with a parliament and force the president to form a ruling coalition.

Important to remember that the founding fathers agreed on very little beyond a disdain for King George.

Agreed. And you did call it. I was just saying that Jefferson did say all that about central banking, minus the Homeless/Inflation/Deflation. And the Founders definitely had their quirrels here and there, but Jefferson and Hamilton had some heated battles. Especially about central banking.

My point is that we don't need the Federal Reserve. We don't need private/central bankers controlling our money supply, and artificially lowering interest rates. This spurs malinvesment, risky behavior, and creates financial bubbles.

Agreed. And you did call it. I was just saying that Jefferson did say all that about central banking, minus the Homeless/Inflation/Deflation. And the Founders definitely had their quirrels here and there, but Jefferson and Hamilton had some heated battles. Especially about central banking.

My point is that we don't need the Federal Reserve. We don't need private/central bankers controlling our money supply, and artificially lowering interest rates. This spurs malinvesment, risky behavior, and creates financial bubbles.
    Just another form of corporate welfare.

Banks need to loan money to each other.
    They need to send checks and deposits back and forth.
    And so much more.

Instead of each bank having a huge office tracking all that stuff, they just do it through the fed, and let the fed sort it out.

Savings them billions they can then use on malinvestment, risky behavior and creating financial bubbles.

Speaking of financial bubbles, it was the endless cycles of boom and bust in the 1800s and early 1900s that lead to the central bank and federal oversight of banking.

Simply put, we tried letting them do it themselves and they couldn't.
    Not say the fed can, but we know the private banks can't.

• Options

And so much more.

Instead of each bank having a huge office tracking all that stuff, they just do it through the fed, and let the fed sort it out.

Savings them billions they can then use on malinvestment, risky behavior and creating financial bubbles.

Speaking of financial bubbles, it was the endless cycles of boom and bust in the 1800s and early 1900s that lead to the central bank and federal oversight of banking.

Regulation is

It works for Canadian banks...

And so much more.

Yes - banks need to lend money, and so much more, but when there are savings to lend, and with the right types of regulation. Don't take my word for this, and do your own research. But this is the truth. We have had boom and bust cycles basically ever since the US was founded because we have always had central banking, controlled by private banking institutions. The Bank of North America, First Bank of the U.S., and then the Second Bank of the U.S.

The Federal Reserve is just the mutated reincarnation of them all, controlled by a cartel of private bankers that do not answer to the Federal Government. Since the creation of the Fed, the dollar has been devalued by about 95% due to inflation, and more of that will never allow the economy to recover. Congress is granted the power to coin money, as in real coins, or at least issue interest free notes based on some sort of commodity so that it cannot be printed out of thin air and inflated out of existence. We need to end the Fed.

The Federal Reserve is just the mutated reincarnation of them all, controlled by a cartel of private bankers that do not answer to the Federal Government.

I just learned this about a week ago.

The president appoints the fed board, and they report to congress.

BUT, they work for the private banks.
    It is not their job to protect either the taxpayer or the consumer.
    Their job is to facilitate banking for the interest of the banks.

• And the Founders definitely had their quirrels

They had squirrels?

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    from the mighty pen of Crass' Penny Rimbaud

So don't think you can fool me with your political tricks
    Political right, political left, you can keep your politics
    Government is government and all government is force
    Left or right, right or left, it takes the same old course

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Another annoying Ron Paul thread.

Go ahead, drop that endthefed link again buddy. Are you one of the 439 signature gatherers?

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

"This is not going as planned"

Think again.

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts

Then please stop speaking on topics you know next to nothing about. Spend the time you save learning.

Then please stop speaking on topics you know next to nothing about. Spend the time you save learning.

If I did that I would never post.