Ofege "Try And Love" Reissued!!!

HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
edited February 2009 in Strut Central
Shameless hype here, folks. Academy Records of NYC just started their new reissuelabel (Academy Lps) and the first title is here! Ofege's debut album "Try And Love". For those not familiar with this record, it's a landmark Afro-Rock Lp from '73and has great songs, sweet harmonies, and tons of heavy Psych guitar. You can go tothe Academy Lps Myspace page if you want to hear some of the cuts. Myspace.com/academylps It's on vinyl (high-quality pressing), CD and will be available for downloads anyday now. Available directly from Academy, at the stores or the website (which is coming next week). Also available from the usual suspects like Dusty Groove and will be in stores soon.

Comments

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    There's something very odd about hearing these songs for the first time without any background noise...

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    There's something very odd about hearing these songs for the first time without any backgroudn noise...

haha, so true

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    There's something very odd about hearing these songs for the first time without any backgroudn noise...

Haha... I'm happy with my OG copy

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Is this mastered from the tapes or from a clean copy of the LP?

• It's mastered from LP. Sounds amazing.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    It's mastered from LP. Sounds amazing.

Pretty impressive...clips on the myspace sound great, whatever noise reduction they used came out really clean. I'm sold, tired of trying to find a really clean copy of this.

• So how many presses excists of this LP? I have a red label and black label Ghana press. The Paychecks said there's also a Nigerian press. Any more than those three?

Peace,

Dress

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
    So how many presses excists of this LP? I have a red label and black label Ghana press. The Paychecks said there's also a Nigerian press. Any more than those three?

Peace,

Dress

As far as I know that's it. It should be noted that there is a BIG difference between the Nigerian and Ghana pressings. I have the normal/orange EMI from Nigeria and the red label from Ghana. The mixes/sound of these lp's are VERY different in nature. The Nigerian has a true stereo mix, and it's so much warmer then the Ghana press it's ridiculous. It's like the difference between a mono psych record and a CD remaster from the master tapes. That being said, I kind of like the Ghana pressing because it's like a mono/garage sounding mix. It's more lo-fi and dirty. I guess it depends what you're looking for in the record, but these pressings offer 2 different listening experiences. The Nigerian has the wah/fuzz panning between speakers, the Ghana doesn't have that within its mix. I assume the reissue came from the Nigerian pressing. If that's the case, the Ghana should be a little more valuable now as that mix has just become more obscure

• A lot of Nigerian companies outsourced their production to Ghana if there was a shortage or a factory was disabled in some way. Not saying this was the case with Ofege, but it is not infrequent to see Ghanaian pressings of Nigerian records, and vice versa.

• Is this record available yet. If so from where?

• I don't know where it's available online but the record is out. I have a few in the shop, although I don't have enough to do mail-order at this time.

You might try emailing [email]academylps@academylps.com[/email] or just ringing the shop to see if you can buy one directly. I couldn't find a link on the blog posted above.

• Got in touch with Mike at Academy.... if you want to cop submit an order at [email]academymailorder@gmail.com[/email]

Also, they're up on e-bay today.

• Yeah, it was remastered from the orange label Nigerian press. I thought it was a
    higher fidelity pressing overall, and it does have the stereo effects as intended by
    producer Odion Iruoje (a really great producer, as fans of Nigerian 70's music may know). Also, I happened to have a really clean-playing copy of the Nigerian press.

I like the Ghana press as well, but I went with what I thought the most people would like, and what would come through the remastering process the best. That said, I think Tim Warren did an amazing job of cleaning everything up "by hand" - no Cedar or NoNoise type stuff.