our childish antics will go unseen (R R)

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited February 2009 in Strut Central
I know this dude who just bought the rights to the Hi records catalog...he is going to reissue the Al Green CDs with the original artwork (the previous license holders redid the covers in a horrible horrible fashion), thing is he couldnt track down the original artwork...but between Shingaling and myself, we had all the the 60s and 70s LPs with minty covers, so he was paying us to make high resolution scans for the reissues. While we were scanning some the other day, I said "We are not taking advantage of the power we have", meaning we could alter these covers ever so slightly to humor ourselves...so for the back of "Lets Stay Together", which is just bushes and things in the foreground, we put some pot plants in there. Silly, but funny to us at the time. I just got an email from dude saying, "I just tracked down the original artwork! Im going to send you and A**r*w a check for your trouble." Cool we are getting paid, but I sure was looking forward to an Al Green LP with weed on it.

Comments

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    damn, great story!!!!

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    I thought the title of this thread was the name of some psych-folk raer.

Working in some strut-related joke, like a small green camouflaged image of Leo a la would have been the stuff of awesome legend.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Can you ask him if there are any unreleased rock titles from the Hi/Mach vaults??

• Can you ask him if there are any unreleased rock titles from the Hi/Mach vaults??

he doesnt know, yet...Demon UK decided to let their license run out and he just jumped on it, before anyone else could...he hasnt had a chance yet to do that type of thing. He said he will be into doing comps/unreleased stuff in the near future but wants to get Al Green and Ann Peebles reishes out pronto before anything else. I have to say the Hi comps that have been put out by Demon suck in a major way, not much of the really really good shit has been comped/reissued...the previous comps, aside from the Bowlegs Miller one have been made up of really mediocre tracks...I am really looking forward to seeing what other Tommy Jay material is out there. A good Hi funk comp needs to be put out IMO as there hasnt been one...

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I'm confused: the recent Al Green CDs that I've been seeing around had the OG art, good remastering and unreleased bonus tracks... and were domestic and not issued by Demon.

• I'm confused: the recent Al Green CDs that I've been seeing around had the OG art, good remastering and unreleased bonus tracks... and were domestic and not issued by Demon.

I was under the imprerssion the ones you are talkng about are from the late 90s? Perhaps im wrong, maybe he bought the UK rights? Anyway, he asked us to scan covers for reissues because the Demon ones were so shitty looking...