The Taking Of Pelham 1-2-3.

Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
edited February 2009 in Strut Central
REEEEEEEEEEEEEMAKE!!!!! Travolta looks a bit foolish but Denzel, Turturro and Luis "Pachanga" Guzman???I can dig it.

Comments

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts
    Has it even been a decade since that made for cable remake?

Huh. Google tells me it's been 11 years. Carry on.

• snosno 332 Posts
    I ride for Tony Scott, even Domino. Definitely look forward to this remake, even if the trailer shows everyone doing their best phoning in their performance (Travolta acted like Broken Arrow with train tracks and Washington acted like Inside Man inside train tunnel). That said, people in Hollywood just need to stop using Explosions in the Sky/post rock/crescendocore soundalike tracks in every trailer.

I can only guess the sneezing won't play much of a part in the final twist.

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    who's doing the music score for the film by the way?

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    No thank you. I'll stick to the original, which probably ranks somewhere in my all-time top 50. This remake looks like a by-the-numbers hostage/action flick that we've seen a zillion of the last 10 or so years. Not a fan of Tony Scott. Keyword: overblown.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    John Travolta is f*cking unwatchable.

• snosno 332 Posts
    who's doing the music score for the film by the way?

Definitely NOT David Shire.

• Matthau & Shaw were the dons. This remake looks pants.

• The music is pitiful in context with the original. Tony Scott should stick to doing dull adverts.

• No thank you. I'll stick to the original, which probably ranks somewhere in my all-time top 50.

Another wholly unnecessary remake from the Hollywood crap machine...

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    They should bring back the original to the cinemas. I would love to see it on the big screen with a little 5.1 remastering perhaps. Who needs a remake? This pathetic wimp Travolta is nothing against Shaw. Especially his performance as merciless and yet courteous brit is a highlight. This combined with Matthaus deadpan humour...perfect.

I'm anxious Hollywood could do remakes of Die Hard soon.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    They should bring back the original to the cinemas.

Seriously, why don't they just do this? They reissue and remaster music albums all the time, they don't bring in some band of lames to "remake" Exile on Main Street or Back in Black.

It would be so much cheaper to clean up the print, remaster the sound for surround, like dude said, put it in theatres and hype it to hell just like you would a new movie. Can't you just buy/lease the rights and do that shit? I would have so much more respect for Hollywood if they did that instead of churning out tepid remakes.

• They should bring back the original to the cinemas.

Seriously, why don't they just do this?

They actually did. They restored the original print, and showed it in a few indi movie houses a few years ago.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21They should bring back the original to the cinemas.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21Seriously, why don't they just do this? They reissue and remaster music albums all the time, they don't bring in some band of lames to "remake" Exile on Main Street or Back in Black.
    b, 21
    b, 21It would be so much cheaper to clean up the print, remaster the sound for surround, like dude said, put it in theatres and hype it to hell just like you would a new movie. Can't you just buy/lease the rights and do that shit? I would have so much more respect for Hollywood if they did that instead of churning out tepid remakes.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21I know it is a rhetorical question, but it is clear why they do it. They get to greenlight a proven idea, actors get paid, and studios already own all the rights, so no severe development costs/risks, it's all gravy even if it's an initial 'flop'. International box office and dvd sales are almost a given. BUT ABOVE ALL, they know the majority of people who go out to multiplexes don't want to see old movies(that's for stay-at-home DVD buyers whose buck they get again because the only good that MAY come out of this is a better DVD version of the original, some commentary/extras,etc), they want the shiny new shit, no matter how lame. b, 21b, 21All I can say is, thank god for DVDs, decent TVs and the internet, I could give a hang if all the new theatres closed down tomorrow for good. Screw 'em.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21They should bring back the original to the cinemas.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21Seriously, why don't they just do this?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21They actually did. They restored the original print, and showed it in a few indi movie houses a few years ago.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21b, 21Yeah, I know this happens on a small scale all the time. I just wish that if Hollywood has run out of ideas and doesn't want to do anything new, just reissue shit instead of remaking it. Drop the 20th Anniversary and shit. Time it with the new DVD release and stuff.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21I'm anxious Hollywood could do remakes of Die Hard soon.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Hollywood has been remaking Die Hard in various guises since the moment it hit big. The series itself will need to be dead for a few years before an official remake happens as per the Robocop remake/update/reimagining which is now confirmed.b, 21b, 21Considering the shitfest that was Die Hard 4 I'd give it, say, six years.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21They should bring back the original to the cinemas. I would love to see it on the big screen with a little 5.1 remastering perhaps. Who needs a remake? This pathetic wimp Travolta is nothing against Shaw. Especially his performance as merciless and yet courteous brit is a highlight. This combined with Matthaus deadpan humour...perfect.
    b, 21
    b, 21I'm anxious Hollywood could do remakes of Die Hard soon.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Occasionally plays at The Modern NYC.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I just watched the trailer to this. Scott needs to really f*cking stop using those filters in his films now. I don't give a shit if he launched the style - makes them all blur into one.b, 21b, 21No disguises = fail.b, 21b, 21Every film I've seen Travolta in since Pulp Fiction has made me hate him a little bit more. I think I'm now at breaking point.

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21I know it is a rhetorical question, but it is clear why they do it. They get to greenlight a proven idea, actors get paid, and studios already own all the rights, so no severe development costs/risks, it's all gravy even if it's an initial 'flop'. International box office and dvd sales are almost a given. BUT ABOVE ALL, they know the majority of people who go out to multiplexes don't want to see old movies(that's for stay-at-home DVD buyers whose buck they get again because the only good that MAY come out of this is a better DVD version of the original, some commentary/extras,etc), they want the shiny new shit, no matter how lame.
    b, 21
    b, 21All I can say is, thank god for DVDs, decent TVs and the internet, I could give a hang if all the new theatres closed down tomorrow for good. Screw 'em.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21THE TRUTH HATH BEEN SPOKEN!

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    They should bring back the original to the cinemas. I would love to see it on the big screen with a little 5.1 remastering perhaps. Who needs a remake? This pathetic wimp Travolta is nothing against Shaw. Especially his performance as merciless and yet courteous brit is a highlight. This combined with Matthaus deadpan humour...perfect.

I'm anxious Hollywood could do remakes of Die Hard soon.

Occasionally plays at The Modern NYC.

It's a pity but NYC is a little too far away for a night out to the movies.

• It looks like louis guzman is in this, which may offset some of the Travolta terd stench, but sense Travolta will still be in almost every frame, I will probably skip this load of shit and watch the OG at home.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Robocop remake/update/reimagining which is now confirmed.

I wouldn't buy that for a dollar

• They should bring back the original to the cinemas.

Seriously, why don't they just do this?

They actually did. They restored the original print, and showed it in a few indi movie houses a few years ago.

Yeah, I know this happens on a small scale all the time. I just wish that if Hollywood has run out of ideas and doesn't want to do anything new, just reissue shit instead of remaking it. Drop the 20th Anniversary and shit. Time it with the new DVD release and stuff.

like they did w/ BladeRunner.

I saw the Remastered/OG/Remix in the theatre before the DVD box came out.

And when that new theatre opened in Times Square back in the 90's I got to see The Godfather on the big screen.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Looks like I'm the only person here that thinks this might be OK. Sure, I'll be surprised if it's a patch on the o.g., but F*ck it, that didn't stop me from enjoying The Departed.

Denzel is always watchable, Travolta's scenery-chewing psycho turns are pretty good for the most part, and with the exception of Domino, which I thought stank to high heaven, Tony Scott's last few movies have been entertaining enough, and he usually does this kind of thing well. Besides, if Luiz Guzman, John Turturro and Gbenga Akinnagbe are involved, then I'm in. I expect Harry Gregson-Williams' score will be functional, unmemorable and extremely unlikely to ever get sampled by Show & AG, but I'm curious to see if Scott's hijackers use the o.g's colour-coded names device that Tarantino swiped for Reservoir Dogs.

All told, this joint is clearly aiming to grab the Big Summer Action Blockbuster dollar. I'm past getting mad at yet another pointless remake, but this has a little more going for it than most.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts

Underappreciated Robocop social-media-satire related.

• CraigCraig 269 Posts
    No thank you. I'll stick to the original, which probably ranks somewhere in my all-time top 50.

Another wholly unnecessary remake from the Hollywood crap machine...

...the original is one of my all time favourite movies it would pain me to watch this shit unnecessary remake.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    US heads (and technically savvy international users) who don't yet regard the transaction can watch the OG right now on hulu:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/27822/the-taking-of-pelham-one-two-three

• Just to chime in on such a subject of importance..

A remake of this movie will never touch the sheer brilliance of the original..

I have forced every woman in my life to endure a night of DVDs that has included Taking Of Pelham 1-2-3, only one has survived..

remakes of every movie from Thomas Crowne to The Longest Yard (and the list goes one) HAVE FAILED!!!

I agree with whoever it said that if all the theaters closed tomorrow I would still survive - all thanks to NetFlix, Half Price Books, the Internet and the Indianapolis Public Library..

thank you and good night now.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

I can dig it.

No I can't. NOT AT ALL.

Yuck.

Travolta is a HORRIBLE villain. Fake as hell.

Denzel looks stupid trying to dumb it down. Neither of them are believable in their roles.

Even Turturro disappointed me. (Though he disappointed me in that dumb ass Transformers movie too.)

And Guzman BARELY had a role. The whole movie - plot changes, character twists (from the OG), flashy camera tricks/"action shots" - was laaaaame.

Granted, I watched the OG two days ago so the sheer excellence of it was fresh in my mind, but still...I had a glimmer of hope for this one and I was let down from the opening credits.

Save your money. For really real.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

Underappreciated Robocop social-media-satire related.

Sad. They're gonna F*ck it up and tone down the violence to boot. Read Cyril Kornbluth. The basis for the movie Idiocracy.