Do These "Ebay Stores" Make Big $$$

RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
edited February 2009 in Strut Central
No, not the stores that people maintain on ebay....I'm talking about these storefront shops that advertise that they will sell your item on Ebay.I hate this concept....they are experts on nothing and can rarely answe any question posed to them about an item.I see them all over town but tend to think they don't do much business/make much money.Am I wrong??

Comments

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    This phenom is yet to hit New Zealand, thank goodness.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I was thinking about this the other day. I do think there is a definite need, because not everyone has time taking pictures, inspecting their product, etcx2. But I also get the impression that only a small portion are successful businesses that have repeat customers.

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    I think the catch is that people are lazy. You can just walk in the door and dump off a bunch of shit and they handle everything. If you don't mind not getting top dollar due to paying a percentage to the store, it's probably great. I however will just pony up and do the work myself.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    I think the catch is that people are lazy. .

+ they want to get rich quick

i know of a few folks who paid $$$ for these seminars that "teach" you how to set up & run them things
    seems like the only one making cake is the folks running the seminars

i know that the first store to open these in some areas do very well
    (first store in central vermont did nice, cause rare stuff was all around & broadband was far off)
    but now a days i doubt even they are still pulling it in

i think some one is selling franchises for some of these ebay drop off places,
    now that guy is making big $$$

• The few that have opened up near me in the last couple years have done the "Grand Opening... Grand Closing" thing.

• also you have to remember, if you have only have a few things to sell on ebay and you are not going to do it regularly..no one is going to pay shit for your stuff if you are a new seller and have no feedback, something you can only get form selling over the years...so these "stores" do serve somewhat of a purpose...they have the feedback and selling history behind them, where as aunt biddy who wants top dollar for her candy dish doesnt have any ebay history is pretty much screwed if she doesnt have a friend/relative that sell it for her...