Valentine's Day - Yah Or Nay???

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited February 2009 in Strut Central
My ladyfriend doesnt wanna go out and see goofy folks w/ balloons and shit.But i did propose we go see a BAD romantic comedy.My choice was Confessions of a Shopaholic. She's chose He's Not That Into You.Whatever...Ill bring the flask filled w/ scotch.I work on Sat. So i wont be able to get my game on w/ an elaborate dinner.Do ya'll deal w/ restaurants and the whole nine on V-Day?

Comments

• sumtimes especially if shes THE ONE or if i just want to GET SUM

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    It's My wife's birthday

• I gotta spend the day with her, her parents and her new puppy so I'm not sure what all will be goin down. Neither of us really tryin to do anything special but Giordano's makes a heart-shaped pizza so I think we're gonna do that.

To add onto the initial question: What ya'll drinkin on V-day night?

• nice, kill two birds with one bottle of wine.

i refuse to go to restaurants that triple menu prices as a valentines gift

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Neither of us really tryin to do anything special but Giordano's makes a heart-shaped pizza so I think we're gonna do that.

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    goofy folks w/ balloons and shit.

• Do ya'll deal w/ restaurants and the whole nine on V-Day?

Hell no, high prices rushed service and food. We agreed last year would wouldn't do that again. My wife and I are planning a nice meal at home, and looking forward to spending the day together.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    We'll do a small gift to each other, I'll probably get some flowers & we'll go out for dinner. Nothing huge, there are a lot of people who kind of neglect on making things special all year & if this is their once a year chance to treat their partner right then I don't see any trouble with that. In reality you shouldn't need a special day to make you do the right/nice thing but for some people Valentines Day is it.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Took the lady on a short roadtrip last weekend, with a nice hotel, spa, dinner. Covered those bases in advance so we won't have to rush to do anything on the big V-day.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    Took the lady on a short roadtrip last weekend, with a nice hotel, spa, dinner. Covered those bases in advance so we won't have to rush to do anything on the big V-day.

Good move. Me and the wife were wracking (racking?) our brains trying to work something out for any day besides Saturday. The other wack thing with restaurants is that they do the whole four-course fixed price shit. So it's either $75 per person or walk away, son.

My birthday is 10 days after V-day, and since money is not exactly flowing like water right now, we said fusk it and we'll just do some grown and sexy restaurant shiznit the next weekend.

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    Neither of us really tryin to do anything special but Giordano's makes a heart-shaped pizza so I think we're gonna do that.

Have you ever had a giordano's heart shaped pizza?

b/w

F*ck Valentine's day.

• my girl was going to make a special dinner, but a club called and said they had some bands cancel for the 14th and wanted me to DJ...when I told her, she was kinda glad, she said she prolly couldnt get that dinner together in time since she doesnt get off of work until 7 on saturday...so we are having our V Day on Sunday...glad her dinner was complicated, otherwise I would be in the doghouse...

• My choice was Confessions of a Shopaholic.

that girl who plays the lead (Sasha Baron Cohen's lady I believe) is unbelievably cute...wonder if there are any underwear scenes with her in that movie....then again my biggest crush is Jennifer Goodwin and she is in "Not that into you"..choices choices..I know i am going to be dragged to one of those two sooner or later...win win!

ahhhh...Valentines Day

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    most restaurants do the fixed/limited menu thing, and it's a clusterfusk of people, bad service, etc. as they're trying to usher you out the door. take her out the night before or night after.

that girl who plays the lead (Sasha Baron Cohen's lady I believe) is unbelievably cute..

Isla Fisher. I believe they got married last year. She is gorgeous, indeed. I haven't seen her in any movies but I imagine one has to be extremely funny and cool if one is married to SBC. If I was granted one of those "Women I'm allowed to cheat with if given the chance" lists by my wife, she might have to be on it.

Christina Hendricks would be high on that list as well. I've developed a thing for redheads recently, it seems.

• ^

Love a redhead anyday.

We are going to get massages and then go have Korean bbq and Shoju green, come home and do what we best be doin all week long every week of the year

• My girl and I are going out the night before, too many yahoos and "goofy people with balloons and shit" especially since it is v-day. The cool thing is that one of our good dudes is having a birthday party that night and he's brining out Rich Medina and Dj Spinna, so that'll be some fun.

I was just talking to my pops about this at lunch and we both agreed " this is really some schitt for chicks."
    Hallmark needs to make a holiday for guys; I mean the closest thing we have is 4th of july since there's always bbq-ing going on and we get to blow shit up.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Oh. How many of you dudes/dudettes who have been in long term relationships actually get laid on Valentines Day?

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Isla Fisher. I believe they got married last year. She is gorgeous, indeed. I haven't seen her in any movies but I imagine one has to be extremely funny and cool if one is married to SBC.

She was in Wedding Crashers as the psycho chick Vince Vaughn gets with.

b/w

Fu[/b]ck this fake-ass holiday.

• HeddyHeddy 131 Posts
    The weather is supposed to be crappy here, so I'm suggesting a homemade pizza, TCM and of course, a snuggie.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Isn't there some unofficial Steak and Bl0wjob Day? I know I have observed it once or twice. Gotta love that about the male gender. We don't prance around with some bow-wielding sprite with flowers and cards; we name the holiday exactly what we want to happen.

• Oh. How many of you dudes/dudettes who have been in long term relationships actually get laid on Valentines Day?

NOT YET!! My boy has never been here for v day, and this year i think he'll miss it by a week or so!!
    Def not phased with the whole v day thing tho, its not my bag, but that's not to so i don't appreciate the fed ex'ed gift and card!!
    Best valentines was spent at one of my best friends wedding last year!!

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    I'll be in Barcelona for work for the third straight Valentine's Day, which is convenient cuz I got dumped recently and haven't really put myself back out there.

• The weather is supposed to be crappy here, so I'm suggesting a homemade pizza, TCM and of course, a snuggie.

snuggie here is a brand of diaper!!

• Options
    i slept on this holiday on the past...now I am single...

having learned that way, i suggest be BRAVE and do YOUR BEST, make sure you get an A for EFFORT, and GO FOR IT!!!!!!!

Isla Fisher. I believe they got married last year. She is gorgeous, indeed. I haven't seen her in any movies but I imagine one has to be extremely funny and cool if one is married to SBC.

She was in Wedding Crashers as the psycho chick Vince Vaughn gets with.

Yeah, I knew she was in it, I just never saw the movie. I don't think I'm f*cking with Shopaholic either. Hopefully she'll be in a movie I want to see one of these days.

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts

My girl and I did this too. We talked about it, we don't really need to anything big either. She might even drive my ass and buy me records at a record fair a couple hours away this Sunday. But, she said she still wants a nice present haha

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Not really about it, but I heard the highschool kids on the bus this morning talking about who they're going to give a song to....you pay the choir a couple of bucks to sing a song from an existing list to your Valentine. They'll do it during class! What a great idea!

• Gig on Saturday. Taking the lady out Friday. Hopefully this works out.

• I'm handing in my dissertation on Friday and getting absolutely screwfaced out of my mind, then spending Saturday making fingerfood with two other couples, and of course spending some private time with the lady, and then a big fish dinner on Sunday.

This is going to be and aweome weekend for me, hope it's the same for you to.

Oh, and I don't normally do ANYTHING Valentine's Day related, since the only association I've had with it growing up was that it was american, capitalistic, imported and EVIL. I have since learned to appreciate the romantic nature of it, while not necessarily buying any of the useless garbage the shops start pushing a month in advance.