Target likes big butts (NRR)

volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
Anyone scene the Target comercial where the sing "I Like Backpacks" to the tune of "I like Big Butts". Is it really appropriate to use this song for a back to school comercial for kids? I realize plenty of kids heard this song when it came out, but really....................

Comments

• do you mean really inappropriate for
    a) the sake of the song
    or
    b) the sake of the kids?

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    do you mean really inappropriate for
    a) the sake of the song
    or
    b) the sake of the kids?

I guess B. Basically I just think it's poor taste (like comercials have good taste). I realize kids know this song and it's not crazy offensive as a song. But applying to a comercial with a bunch of kids running around just isn't right.

I just can't imagine the corporate meeting.......

"How about we use the song I Like Big Butts?"
    "Steller idea Frank! We'll lay off a couple Indonesian kids and give you a raise for that one!!!!"

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    a) the sake of the song
    or
    b) the sake of the kids?

I guess B. Basically I just think it's poor taste (like comercials have good taste). I realize kids know this song and it's not crazy offensive as a song. But applying to a comercial with a bunch of kids running around just isn't right.

I just can't imagine the corporate meeting.......

"How about we use the song I Like Big Butts?"
    "Steller idea Frank! We'll lay off a couple Indonesian kids and give you a raise for that one!!!!"

I don't think most kids under 20 really know that song.

• It's just a funny song. I don't think Target's backpack commercials are going to breed a new generation of ass fetishists...

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    a) the sake of the song
    or
    b) the sake of the kids?

c) backpackers to be associated with Sir Mix A Lot

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

Kids in school now weren't even born yet when that song was a hit

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    That song is ubiquitous. Everyone's heard it.

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts
    I remember some buster ass mom shutting this off at my middle school dance when it came out. Now a Target Commercial

• Anyone scene the Target comercial where the sing "I Like Backpacks" to the tune of "I like Big Butts". Is it really appropriate to use this song for a back to school comercial for kids? I realize plenty of kids heard this song when it came out, but really....................

It would have been inappropriate, if they didn't change the lyrics from 'big butts' to 'backpacks'.

I had a girlfriend who came from a religious family once. Her mom would vacuum to the radio and when "boom boom boom lets go back to my room" came on, she would sing "vroom vroom vroom how I like to vacuum"

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

that song is still a hit, imo.

little dudes and dudettes just dont know how ILL the video was...

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Anyone scene the Target comercial where the sing "I Like Backpacks" to the tune of "I like Big Butts". Is it really appropriate to use this song for a back to school comercial for kids? I realize plenty of kids heard this song when it came out, but really....................

They don't have Target in Canada, but it sounds like a cool store!

I like big butts!!

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

You're all just so out of touch... videos psssh, what's that? "I like Big Butts" is a ringtone which I've heard on the phones of kids no older than 8 round here. They love it. Target was stealing their inspiration from that more like.

• ehuffmanehuffman 302 Posts

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

classic material. i remember waking up sunday morning, chilling with some grits at my homies house, watching this shit, saw my first vagina that day too, walked in on his older sister naked...

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    Her mom would vacuum to the radio and when "boom boom boom lets go back to my room" came on, she would sing "vroom vroom vroom how I like to vacuum"

That's really effing cute.

-e

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Any kid who's seen Charlies Angels (like my 11 year old step daughter) has heard it.

We used to call asses "backpacks" back in school so we could talk about them with the girl right there.

Classy!

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts
    That was the day I told tammy I had been admiring her backPack all year!

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    You know it

I know i'm not the only one who made up some secret slang with the homies.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts

little dudes and dudettes just dont know how low budget[/b] the video was...

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

little dudes and dudettes just dont know how low budget[/b] the video was...

which makes it that much more amazing.