Whats a good 78 player?

GaryGary 3,982 Posts
edited February 2009 in Strut Central
not that I have the time or the energy to get in THAT game, but at the same time there are versions of songs out there that are only on 78 and I can't get a good MP3 of them anywhere so I guess I would have to buy the 78, which means that I would need something that plays 78s. I prefer something small and simple. And I really don't want anything expensive since I don't want to be a 78 collectro. In fact I don't want 78s at all, goddamit, it just that I just want some music that is only available on 78s.thanks.

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    MAX BANJO

• willie stargell

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Just get a good working turntable from the 70s.
    Plug into your amp.
    Most played 78.

Don't get one of those stupid school "portables".

The 50s players, that look like a piece of furniture, often had 2 needles. You would flip from a steel 78 needle to a diamond 45 lp needle. Don't get one of those either.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    thanks. I guess I should just buy something from a thrift store or swap meet or something. Which makes it just one more thing that I"ll probably never get around to doing....

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    You could also get a Califone.

thanks. I guess I should just buy something from a thrift store or swap meet or something. Which makes it just one more thing that I"ll probably never get around to doing....

Buy a fixed up one with new cartridge and belt... from a nice stereo repair place. You'll just have to fix up a swap meet one and it will be that much longer before you will ever hear that Danny Baker (or is it Barker?) record. It will still be under (or not much over) $100.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts

that thing looks cool. are those hard to find?

The afore mentioned "stupid school portable".

My Vestax also has a 78 speed which is what I have to use to listen to 78s. Not recommended.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    oh damn.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

my mistake

• You could also get a Califone.

my mistake

been our 78 listening station in the store for 20 years, works fine, dont know where hatt for them is from...needles are easy to get and replace...pretty much idiot proof. Lots of 78 buyers come in here and we have never had one scoff at our player.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh

beef!

my mistake

been our 78 listening station in the store for 20 years, works fine, dont know where hatt for them is from...needles are easy to get and replace...pretty much idiot proof. Lots of 78 buyers come in here and we have never had one scoff at our player.

I'll defer to your experience.
    They are tanks.
    Built for abuse.

Cheaper than my suggestion.

• You could also get a Califone.

my mistake

I'll defer to your experience.
    They are tanks.
    Built for abuse.

Cheaper than my suggestion.

now I will say that you should chamge the needle very frequently...due to the weight of the arm...you dont want a dull needle being pressed into your shellac raers, but if you are good about changing the needle, its a fine player

• these were done with a califone going out of the headphone jack into a mixer...pretty decent sound.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    I was about to enter the 78s world, but decided it against it.

I did a little research and found out cheap NUmarks play 78s. I almost bought one for dedicated 78s listening.

I'm afraid of 78s now, they look creepy