Irma Thomas question

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited February 2009 in Strut Central
Her song, "The Hurt's All Gone" is killing me. I know it was recorded for Imperial - anyone know what LP (if any) it appeared on?

Comments

• Irma had two albums on Imperial. Neither one contains "The Hurt's All Gone," which was released as a single in 1965.

My own copy is on Leapers, Sleepers & Creepers, a northern soul various-artists comp released by Kent (the UK Kent) in the '80s.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Thanks PIckwick. Would you recommend her two Imperial LPs regardless?

All I own of hers is "Soul Queen of New Orleans" (which I dig)

• Would you recommend her two Imperial LPs regardless?

Yes, Wish Someone Would Care and Take A Look are worth getting. Evidently, she had stopped recording in New Orleans by then...both LP's have this "uptown" New York sound like Chuck Jackson or Maxine Brown (not a bad thing). And Irma's waxing some of the best vocals of her life.

All I own of hers is "Soul Queen of New Orleans" (which I dig)

I used to see the vinyl version of that LP all the time. I think she's doing remakes of her own songs on that one.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Cosign on the Imperial lps. I usually see them sell for $40 or less, which I think is undervalued.

My favorite is an lp on Bandy of Toussaint produced singles which is usually under $15, but I havn't seen a copy in years.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

There is that Bandy lp.

Ruler Of My Heart.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    Her song, "The Hurt's All Gone" is killing me. I know it was recorded for Imperial - anyone know what LP (if any) it appeared on?

all-time soul favorite of mine, such a good song. I first heard of her through this 90s cd comp

and "hurt's all gone" jumped out from the first listen. still very much

• copped:

b-side to Full Time Woman on Cotillion.
    Quezerque produced.

• copped:

b-side to Full Time Woman on Cotillion.
    Quezerque produced.
    and it's called "She's Taking My Part"[/b]

• and it's called "She's Taken My Part"[/b]

• and it's called "She's Taken My Part"[/b]

Heh, heh!! My fault!!

• Options
    thats that red cotillion label, huh?

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts

Ruler Of My Heart.

That's a beautiful song, BTW...

• thats that red cotillion label, huh?

yes'r

• Atlantic (and its' sublabels like Cotillion) always had a good line on New Orleans music, from Professor Longhair in the fifties all the way up to Tami Lynn in the early '70s

I wouldn't mind hearing an Atlantic/New Orleans compilation