London is closed today (snow-r)

DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts
edited February 2009 in Strut Central
As a Northerner, I still have to laugh when a comparatively small amount of snow is all it takes for London's infrastructure to snarl up. As an adopted Londoner, I still get aggravated when a comparatively small amount, etc.,...Still, it makes for pretty pictures. My block at around 8 a.m. today;

Comments

• My first winter here and I get the day off work because of the snow! God save the queen!

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    My office is 60% full. Streets are beautiful today. It's like being in a winter wonderland.

My colleague Vivek was up at 3 am having snowball fights with two other Indian guys and a Russian.
    One of the Indians is a geo-politics student and found out the Russian guy has ancestry from Chechnya, and proceded to start chanting 'Freedom for Chechens'. Cue the (literal) ice grill from sleep-deprived neighbours.

I am worried about getting home though, as that stuff is still falling.

LOVING it though

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    I just left work, getting a train home while I still have a chance.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Yeah about 3 other people made it in today which gets the literal ice grill from me as I live about the furthest away of anyone. Not quite sure why I bothered as my brain was screaming "Snow day" as I trudged down to the station. Journey wasn't that bad but the walk from liverpool st involved a lot of semi shuffling/semi skating movement to avoid being the guy in the suit who goes ass over tit.

They're already limiting my service to one train an hour so will probably start heading back early afternoonish.

Wouldn't trade an easy journey for the snow though - London looks beautiful today.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,899 Posts
    Don't get paid if I don't turn up, so I braved it in the car. No problems, roads are well-gritted. I'd walk if I had to.

The walk from Liverpool St through the Barbican Highwalk at 7.15am was magical. I took several phone pics and will attempt to upload later.
    After my strides and socks have dried out.

Lots of folks leaving the office now.

I'd like to see those skel, made the same journey round two hours later and it was mainly ground in snow/ice. Structures round Liverpool st were still bathed in snow though to beautiful effect.

Snow appears to be getting thicker, my chances of getting home tonight appear to be getting slimmer....

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts

view out my window.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    awesome. Amsterdam just got the cold. no bloody snow. gutted.

• not going to fusk with the train service tonight, blagged a hotel room on them so i have no excuses for being 2 hours late 2moro. looking fwd to a romantic dinner with the missus with tumbling snow all around later!

Why is everybody f*cking off home?

WHERE'S THE f*cking BLITZ SPIRIT?

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,785 Posts

I just want to know if Arsenal are going to sign Arshavin or not.

Snow in Oxford, but it's turning to slush.

just had his medical apparently

arseshavin insomnia and jo

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

just had his medical apparently

arseshavin insomnia and jo

SSN say he's passed the medical.

Keene is going back to Spuds.

lots of other rumors flying around

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    20 mins to go..

but the FA have said clubs can have an extension cause of the snow.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,785 Posts

Keane back to Spurs for 15 mil, and a handy profit of 5.3 mil

If Liverpool win the league and Spurs get relegated, Keane will get a league winners medal as well as going down as he played enough games for Liverpool

I want Arsenal to just sodding well sign somebody.

Why weren't City prepared to offer similarly stupid sums for Ribery when the Kaka deal collapsed? Old Frank is a bit handy I hear.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

WHERE'S THE f*cking BLITZ SPIRIT?

Haha! Yous guys are funny. It's just snow. Happens all the time 'round these parts. If I may offer some advice: if you start skidding in the snow, turn into the skid, then right yourself.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

Keane back to Spurs for 15 mil, and a handy profit of 5.3 mil

If Liverpool win the league and Spurs get relegated, Keane will get a league winners medal as well as going down as he played enough games for Liverpool

Liverpools final game of the season is against Spuds. Could be a classic.

-

Deadlines up, no confirmation from Arsenal. Zenit still want 2.5 mil from the player before they do the deal. Fuckers

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts
    If Keane does go back to Spurs, he'll join a long and not entirely undistinguished list of hastily shipped-out Liverpool misfits like Fernando Morientes, Jari Litmanen, David Speedie, Jimmy Carter, Bernard Diomede, Mark Gonzalez, Scott Carson and Gabriel Paletta.

Those Barbican highwalk pix from my mobile

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

• Those are probably the most beautiful cellphone pics I've ever seen.

er... thanks!

Props to Sony

That pic of a tree is superb. Treacherous on the way in today after I failed to learn my lesson and wore work shoes again. Went over twice on the fifteen minute walk from the station. One of the times I saved myself one handed performing a rather impressive matrix style movement. The other time I went down like a ton of bricks on the bottom of my back as a suit button went flying off my jacket and had to pick myself up and limp away as quickly as possible while avoiding eye contact from all around me.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,899 Posts

RHKTD

Yesterday/This Morning:

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    GREAT PICS.

we are still waiting on snow over here...

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts

we are still waiting on snow over here...
    its not gonna happen.

• llmod1llmod1 317 Posts
    School I work at has been closed for two days now! I imagine I'll be in tomorrow though!