The Bill Cosby Show - 69/70 ??

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited January 2009 in Strut Central
I never even heard of this joker.I just copped and the music is Quincy Jones.Critique Anyone? Pick-33,Hook Up,Gucci-Rock,Birdman?

Comments

• pretty funny, Ive enjoyed the episodes Ive seen...he is a high school coach and shenanigans ensue...Nick at Night had it on for a minute about 10 years ago. "Hikky Burr" was the theme music...

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    This was a pretty good show. Low-key dramedy which starred Cosby as an L.A. gym teacher. Supposedly this show influenced The White Shadow, and it showed. Even though there was no laff track, the show had plenty of room for Cosby to go off on little comedy riffs here 'n' there.

What I like about the show, compared to the later Cosby Show, is that Cosby's humor was a lot more lowkey and subtle back then. By the time he got to the Cliff Huxtable years in the '80s, he was damn near bordering on arrogant, with the other cast members seemingly getting paid just to set up and laugh at his pompous jokes. But he was a lot more easygoing here.

His character ("Chet Kincaid") was a single man, and more than one episode has him on the make, with a girlfriend or date waiting on him (which is good considering that he hardly got any romantic plotlines on I Spy). And even back then, Cosby was upfront about his love for jazz - look around Chet's apartment, you'll see a Billy Eckstine album in the background, or John Coltrane's picture on the wall. (Incidentally, his apartment looks suspiciously like the same place the Monkees lived in, on their show...did NBC recycle the same sets?)

There was actually a second season of this show that hasn't made it to DVD...I seem to remember there was a second-season episode where Chet was trying to talk this 11- or 12-y.o. black kid out of running away to San Francisco...Chet offers him two tickets to a Jimi Hendrix concert, and the kid sez "who is he?" Unfortunately, I think this episode may have aired just after Hendrix died...

Also: I haven't seen all the episodes on this DVD yet, but as far as I can tell your girl Tracy Reed ain't on it. Although I did see her on the third-season Odd Couple DVD playing a bit role...

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

I never even heard of this joker.

I just copped and the music is Quincy Jones.

Critique Anyone? Pick-33,Hook Up,Gucci-Rock,Birdman?

This is where I first heard "Hikky-Burr"(end credit theme) many many years ago! I used to catch this on reruns in the late 70s, probably ran afternoons on WGN out of Chicago back then.

For years I would ask people "remember the FIRST Cosby show?" only to be met by laughs of disbelief or blank stares. Like Pickwick notes, not a bad show at all! Although, I thought Lancelot Link was something I needed to see again recently, but after getting the DVDs on netflix, I am now of the impression that a little goes a loooooong way. The first Cosby show has probably aged better!

What about "That's My Mama!", has anyone revisited that? Great cast, but I haven't seen that show in over 30 years or more!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    What about "That's My Mama!", has anyone revisited that? Great cast, but I haven't seen that show in over 30 years or more!

We covered That's My Mama a minute ago. That worth owning on DVD.

• I never even heard of this joker.

I just copped and the music is Quincy Jones.

Critique Anyone? Pick-33,Hook Up,Gucci-Rock,Birdman?

This is where I first heard "Hikky-Burr"(end credit theme) many many years ago! I used to catch this on reruns in the late 70s, probably ran afternoons on WGN out of Chicago back then.

For years I would ask people "remember the FIRST Cosby show?" only to be met by laughs of disbelief or blank stares. [/b]

I used to do the same thing. I actually remember this show from when it was first broadcast, and then in re-runs in the early to mid 70s (NY area). I have this season on DVD and it's a really interesting show. Nice mix of comedy and a touch of pathos (and there's that theme song too...)

We covered That's My Mama a minute ago. That worth owning on DVD.

BOTH seasons. It was only on for a year, so it never had a chance to go downhill like most classic shows. Worth getting.

Im curious to see the all the mid-level Black actors who are on this. There's usually 1 or 2 cats who move on to other minor roles in film or tv.

The Bill Cosby Show WAS rerun in Chicago during the '70s and '80s...not on WGN, but on the local CBS affiliate. And it was always at some weird time, like 5 AM. Or as Sunday afternoon filler. Despite the odd hours, I have met people here and there who saw the show on occasion.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    no laff track

Always a good sign.

What I like about the show, compared to the later Cosby Show, is that Cosby's humor was a lot more lowkey and subtle back then. By the time he got to the Cliff Huxtable years in the '80s, he was damn near bordering on arrogant, with the other cast members seemingly getting paid just to set up and laugh at his pompous jokes. But he was a lot more easygoing here.

His humor in I Spy was similar. That show could get serious in 2 seconds, and sometimes it was hard to tell who was fooling whom.

he hardly got any romantic plotlines on I Spy).

He would get them on-and-off, but his love interest would either be a counter-spy or the obligatory death-bait. Happened like clockwork.

Also: I haven't seen all the episodes on this DVD yet, but as far as I can tell your girl Tracy Reed ain't on it. Although I did see her on the third-season Odd Couple DVD playing a bit role...

She's not on any Cosby Show episodes, according to IMDB. Or any iterations of shows with Cosby's name in the title.

I checked the interview w/ Bill and he believes the suits cancelled the show because he refused a Laff Track. He didnt want to manipulate the audience.
    That's a tuff stance in 1969.

He also said the funky bassline on Hickka-Burr isplayed by a white woman.

The first ep has the cat who goes on to play Mel on Alice.

The vibe is very nice. Ahead of its time.

He also said the funky bassline on Hickka-Burr isplayed by a white woman.

probably Carol Kaye

no laff track

Always a good sign.

My fave episodes of The Monkees are the ones minus the laugh track. Hated 'em when I was a kid because it seemed so unnatural, but now I think those are among the best ones. Matter of fact, I think The Monkees got canned because the suits wanted them to reinstate the laugh track too (among other things).

• i've been seeing this around, but haven't picked it up yet. now i might have to. just picked up the first season of "the cosby show" for my niece. she's crazy about "the huxtables."

i copped for 6 dollars

He had Moms Mabley as his aunt.

Hilarious.

• He had Moms Mabley as his aunt.

Hilarious.

and Mantan Moreland as his uncle!!!

• Lou Gossett Jr. w/ hair.

Cisley Tyson lookin cute.

• The last episode is directed by Melvin Van Peebles.

Excellent shit.

U can see his style throughout the story.