one last external HD question...

prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
Alright, after reading everyones suggestions, and doing my own research, I'm about to go for either the LaCie or Maxtor external HD for my powerbook. But I've also seen the Ezquest drives as well. These are supposedly optimized for and endorsed by ProTools, but are more expensive for less storage than Maxtor or LaCie. Anyone know anything about the Ezquest Pro Audio drives? Johnny (EZ) Quest

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Alright, after reading everyones suggestions, and doing my own research, I'm about to go for either the LaCie or Maxtor external HD for my powerbook. But I've also seen the Ezquest drives as well. These are supposedly optimized for and endorsed by ProTools, but are more expensive for less storage than Maxtor or LaCie. Anyone know anything about the Ezquest Pro Audio drives?

Johnny (EZ) Quest

I have a LaCie 250 myself, haven't tried the Ezquest. The main thing to keep in mind is that external HDs, like ALL HDS, have a limited shelf-life even under the most optimum conditions. If you're really super serious about protecting key files and data, then basically, not only should you 1) have a back-up of your back-up, but 2) also consider burning key files to CD or DVD and then storing them in a fire-proof safe. I know that might sound excessive, but I was recently talking with someone who is a professional photographer and his external HD crashed - he was able to recover 70% of it but the 30% he lost represented 2-3 years worth of work that he didn't have available anywhere else (ouch). He know rocks two HDs for back-up PLUS he'll burn stuff to DVD and store. That's hardcore but if the data matters that much, it's worth the trouble.

If not - I seriously wouldn't fret over which HD you get. They're all pretty decent, though I have heard differing opinions about the Maxtor series.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    DON'T GET A MAXTOR

• prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts
    2) also consider burning key files to CD or DVD and then storing them in a fire-proof safe.

major co-sign. I just want to have only programs and essential files on the laptop, and use the HD for itunes, audio and photoshop files to keep my baby running smoothly. And I'm probably going to do at least monthly DVD backups of important files.

And GLOOM: any reason in particular you don't like Maxtor?

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    2) also consider burning key files to CD or DVD and then storing them in a fire-proof safe.

major co-sign. I just want to have only programs and essential files on the laptop, and use the HD for itunes, audio and photoshop files to keep my baby running smoothly. And I'm probably going to do at least monthly DVD backups of important files.

And GLOOM: any reason in particular you don't like Maxtor?

ya, we bought a 250 onetouch drive to back up our main server here at the workplace, died in 3 days, sent it in (had to pay for shipping ourselves) sent us another one, died in a week, sent it back and finally got a refund, and bought another lacie...we bought the maxtor because it was cheaper...bad idea.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Lacie uses Maxtor drives but Lacie's casing is better.