Lonnie Liston Smith -MIDNIGHT SOULSTICE - Download

SoulpowerSoulpower 204 Posts
edited January 2009 in Announcements
Jazz-Funk legend Lonnie Liston Smith will join our radio show Midnight Soulstice this Friday, January 23rd, 2009, live in the studio for a two-hour special dedicated to his legacy!Lonnie started out playing acoustic Jazz before exploring Jazz Fusion, Soul, and Funk. He was born in Richmond and has live here all his life.Lonnie played acoustic piano with Pharoah Sanders, Rahsaan Roland Kirk, Leon Thomas, Betty Cater and Gato Barbieri before joining Miles Davis as an electric keyboardist in the early 1970s.In 1973, Lonnie founded the Cosmic Echoes band with his brother Donald Smith, a singer and piano player who has collaborated, among others, with Oliver Lake. In the following decade, Lonnie Liston Smith and the Cosmic Echoes released a series of groundbreaking albums for the Flying Dutchman label, which are considered to be among the best and most influential of their genre. Don't miss the man himself join us on Midnight Soulstice! We'll have much music to listen to and much to talk about. This Friday, January 23rd, 11 pm - 1 am EST on 97.3 fm or th live stream on www.wrir.org

Comments

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Will there be an audio archive of this?

• Yeah, we archive all of our shows.

• Sweet im a huge fan. Props

• Download and playlist for the Lonnie Liston Smith show here - Lonnie had lots of fun, and so did we. We covered lots of ground on this show.

http://wrir.org/x/modules/news/article.php?storyid=8868

- Lonnie Liston Smith - Space Lady (RCA)
    - Lonnie Liston Smith - Beautiful Woman (RCA)
    - Miles Davis - Ife (Columbia)
    - Lonnie Liston Smith - Love Beams (Flying Dutchman)
    - Lonnie Liston Smith - Goddess of Love (RCA)
    - Leon Thomas - The Creator has a Masterplan (Flying Dutchman)
    - Oliver Nelson - Skull Session (Flying Dutchman)
    - Lonnie Liston Smith - Expansions (Flying Dutchman)
    - Lonnie Liston Smith - A Chance for Peace (Flying Dutchman)
    - Lonnie Liston Smith - Cosmic Funk (Flying Dutchman)
    - Lonnie Liston Smith - Visions of a New World (Live) (RCA)
    - Guru's Jazzmatazz - Down the backstreets (Chrysalis)
    - Lonnie Liston Smith - In Search of Truth (Flying Dutchman)
    - Lonnie Liston Smith - Devika (Flying Dutchman)
    - Rahsaan Roland Kirk - Here comes the whistleman (Atlantic)
    - Lonnie Liston Smith - Mongotee (Flying Dutchman)

• The download link for our radio show (Midnight Soulstice) from now on will be posted in the - Music, You All forum. Check it out, we have many more great live interviews lined up for the future.

Peace,
    Mr. Felty

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Got a chance to catch it live. Great interview with one of my favorite artists. Had never heard from him, glad he's still with it.

• We appreciate it. I agree, it was a great interview. Lonnie definitely is still down with it.

• Sounds amazing. I'll have to check it out. I've always been a huge fan of Lonnie.

• damn. lonnie live....i wish more events like this would happen where im at.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Thanks for the heads up. That was a cool listen, and prompted me to pull out those Flying Dutchman albums again. L. L. Smith sounded like a real nice guy.