Obrigado Brazil...

Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
edited January 2009 in Strut Central
So I landed back in cold-ass NYC this morning around 5:30 am... after a far-too-short 4 day stay in Porto Alegre, Brazil.For those who don't know, Porto Alegre is the capital of the furthest southern state of Brazil, Rio Grande Do Sul. It is a very diverse city, with many people of Italian and German descent mixing in with the Portuguese and African roots more traditionally associated with the country. It is allegedly the greenest city in Brazil, and thought to be one of the safest and most friendly. The heritage is of the "Gaucho" culture which is kind of like a cowboy/frontier thing. The traditional food is Churrasca which is basically charcoal grilled meat. Anyway, I went down with my wife to keep her company on a business trip as she visited shoe factories. By day, I darted around looking for records. By night we ate and drank. Here are the flicks...On my way downtown, I saw this... a building, painted on another building...first store I hit... no lights because of a rainstorm... condition was an issue but still pulled some cool records.More records...A cafe/bar near the central marketThe central market is a block-long building full of stalls and vendors of all types. Food, herbs, books (and, I was told, records... although there weren't any that day)Here's a booth of herbs and candles and such for yoruba ritualsAnd one for the popular beverage, mate, a green tea traditionally drunk out of wooden gourds. I had some and that shit made me jittery as F*cklike soRack of churrascammmmmmm CaipirinhaAt the big churrascuria we went to, they did a traditional dance performance that reminded me of MexicoSome random flicks from my trips around the central district looking for records...^^ that's gang graffiti on the wall there, saw that ugly shit everywhereMy fearless hostess, who negotiated many a sweet discount for meThis dude had the goods. You can tell he was, uh, down with the sceneBrazilian girl at bus stopRECORDS!Wish I could've stayed longer. Next time...

Comments

• was that yerba mate?
    that put that stuff in a lot of fat burners, so yeah that shit would make you jittery as heck im sure.

dope pictures johnny, those records for the shop or yours or ebay?

• A combination of both, mostly for the shop. A couple for me.

Yeah that's yerba mate. Woooooh. Felt like a triple shot of espresso. plus some.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Good look my man... thanks for posting pics.

So I met three smoking hot Brazilian girls at the bar last night... I heard them speaking Portuguese so I just jumped right in... awesome

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    cool pix! thanks for sharing. i need to make it down there.