NYC, what's good?

white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
edited January 2009 in Strut Central
Going to be visiting the Big Apple from Jan. 25-30, I regret to say, for the first time in my 28 years on the earth. Should have a few evenings free and, aside from visiting whatever it is that folks *have* to see (as well as Good Records, assuming it's open), I was hoping the Soul Strut brethren might be able to point me in the right direction. I'll be staying somewhere in the area right around Times Square. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• for starters:
    GIANT WARM COAT, leave the times square section as fast as you can, go record shopping thursday through saturday downtown, catch the William Eggleston show if its still up at the Whitney- incredible, eat soup dumplings and dimsum for lunch, pizza for snack, and small italian or spanish wine bar for dinner, meet fleshy midwestern white milfs at your times square hotel lobby bar and let them fawn over you and buy you whiskey sours

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Thanks for the recommendations. Definitely look at checking out the Whitney. Per the warm coat and Midwestern milfs... I'll be coming from Chicago, where today's forecast of snow and 9-degree F weather amounts to a heatwave.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Manhattan is good for 3 things: food, women, and clothes. If you're staying on the island, I'd recommend focusing on those.

Some restaurant recommendations:
    Fatty Crab
    Caracas
    Mandoo House
    Arturos
    Panna II
    Vietnamese spots downtown on Baxter St.
    Nicks on w51st and 9th

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Per usual, do you have any specifics? Diet restrictions? Food you like, or don't like?

Hitting the Strand is usually a good idea. If you like Rice pudding go to Rice to Riches. If you like Macaroni and Cheese go to S'Mac. If you like chocolate go to Vosges.

• Per usual, do you have any specifics? Diet restrictions? Food you like, or don't like?

Hitting the Strand is usually a good idea. If you like Rice pudding go to Rice to Riches. If you like Macaroni and Cheese go to S'Mac. If you like chocolate go to Vosges.

terrible tourist suggestions..... blech never recommend that ghey rice pudding place. go to a real specialty food shop like takashimaya or diPaolo's not one that some dude from hackensack and his investors opened for tourists who want to try 45 different kinds of rice pudding

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Per usual, do you have any specifics? Diet restrictions? Food you like, or don't like?

terrible tourist suggestions..... blech never recommend that ghey rice pudding place. go to a real specialty food shop like takashimaya or diPaolo's not one that some dude from hackensack and his investors opened for tourists who want to try 45 different kinds of rice pudding

Have you been to Vosges? Have you been to S'Mac? I call bullshit on your opinions.

If you like rice pudding, then rice to riches is a great recommendation, and I don't think there's another rice pudding place in the city. Italian specialty shops are rather plentiful in New York, there's also Joe's Dairy, Murray's cheese, and others. Recommending a visit to an Italian grocer in New York is like recommending that someone bring their walking shoes.

Grandaisy bakery.

Azuri's Cafe for falafel.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

• Per usual, do you have any specifics? Diet restrictions? Food you like, or don't like?

Have you been to Vosges? Have you been to S'Mac? I call bullshit on your opinions.

If you like rice pudding, then rice to riches is a great recommendation, and I don't think there's another rice pudding place in the city. Italian specialty shops are rather plentiful in New York, there's also Joe's Dairy, Murray's cheese, and others. Recommending a visit to an Italian grocer in New York is like recommending that someone bring their walking shoes.

Grandaisy bakery.

Azuri's Cafe for falafel.

there you go now those are some good suggestions.
    and you can call wtf you want on my opinions i hate that theme park shit. but i guess i also hate that rice pudding pod, it is too full of hello kitty vibes, plump tourist chicks though if you're down w that

carry on wayward son

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts

saying. DO IT.

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    what are you trying to do while you're here? what kind of music do you like?

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Thanks for resurrecting the thread, dudes. Food-wise, I like everything but obviously want whatever is that local heat.

I saw an episode a few weeks ago of Bobby Flay's Throwdown, with a falafel spot that supposedly was the best in the New York -- so named by the Times and the New Yorker. Anyone know if that's Azuri's Cafe?

Musicwise, same deal: New York house, hip-hop, jazz, Latin, I am down. See that APT isn't that far from the hotel (Club Quarters), so might see if anything's going there.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    The Bobby Flay episode was about Taim, I believe. Haven't tried it, Mamoun's has always done the trick for me, but I'm no falafel connoisseur.

Cosign on Caracas, Joe's Dairy too(if you want some bomb mozzarella). Definitely hit APT. Try to avoid eating around Times Sq, almost everything is terrible unless you want to drop bank.

For food, I'd add this bahn mi spot, also Grand Sichuan for the fresh chicken, soup buns and offensively bad service, and Rhong Tiam, probably the only the only authentic, very spicy thai food in Manhattan, and also very reasonable. If you happen to make your way a little more uptown, my personal favorite pizza spot is Sal and Carmine's (bring on the hatt). I would highly recommend making the pizza pilgrimage out to Di Fara tho....

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    if you're in NYC, you got to try the spaghetti bolognese.

but really that bahn mi poasted directly above is for all time forever and ever

• saying. DO IT.

Moved to the interior of the Essex Market. They have very few seats but still a huge menu. I wouldn't say Shopsin's is essential, the food is good, but the wait staff can be really nasty.

Eat ramen at Ippudo on 4th Ave.

Pastrami or corned beef at Katz's on Houston.

Eat some pernil or mofongo at La Fonda Boricua on 106th btwn Lex and 3rd Ave.

Drink good beer at Jimmy's 43 on 7th St close to 2nd Ave.

Damn I dropped the ball leaving this out.

• Went to NYC last weekend to see some art and visit my sister.

Can't cosine above William Eggleston exhibit... Way too large for my taste, images all ran together. Some nice highlights, but could have been half the size. Though, some of the permanent collection the Whitney has up right now was great- Sol LeWitt wall drawing I just can't seem to forget about...

I DO recommend the current show at the MoMA, REBUS, currated by Vik Muniz. And, if you haven't seen the MoMA's permanent collection, you should. It's a museum worth developing a long relationship with.

Eat your way through the city, as well. Follow above dudes reommendations on cheap neighborhood eats... they know better than anyone.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Do yourself a favor and go to Azuri's. I'd consider myself a falafel connoisseur, and I've yet to find another in the city that comes close. Awesome falafel, but the toppings really seal the deal.

Himalaya Caf?? on 1st street, just East of 1st Ave. is bomb authentic Tibetan food. You're not really gonna find that in many other places outside of the SouthEast Asia.

Chiyono on 6th Street, just west of 1st Ave. is incredible home style Japanese. No Teriyaki, no sushi. Just Chiyono in the kitchen grandma style.

Lan Caf?? is also on 6th Street just west of 1st Ave. All vegetarian Vietnamese, homestyle also.

If you wanna do pasta hit Becco. They make three pasta dishes each night, and you get a salad and as much pasta as you can handle. Decently priced wines also.

Trying to step out for a pot of tea? Hit McNally J on Prince Street between Lafayette and Mott.

I eat on a budget, and I also don't get North of 14th Street very often, so my selections are skewed in that sense.

CHeck and see what the Japan Society has going on.

Go to the Rubin Museum and peep the Tibetan art.

• UMADUMAD 187 Posts

saying. DO IT.

Moved to the interior of the Essex Market. They have very few seats but still a huge menu. I wouldn't say Shopsin's is essential, the food is good, but the wait staff can be really nasty.

Eat ramen at Ippudo on 4th Ave.

Eat some pernil or mofongo at La Fonda Boricua on 106th btwn Lex and 3rd Ave.

Drink good beer at Jimmy's 43 on 7th St close to 2nd Ave.

Seriously, F*ck Kenny and his mutant offspring. I dont pay money to get abused while I eat pumpkin pancakes. I cosign all of Garcia's suggestions, although I still think that Sapporo on 48th beats the pants off Ippudo even if the ambiance is not nearly as toight and shexy. I would add:

Flor De Mayo uptown for some Chino Latino.
    L&B's in the Hurst for some pizza.
    Vanessa's on Eldridge for dumplings.
    Tony Dragonas' food cart on 62nd and Lex for chickensaladricehotsaucewhitesauce
    Congee Bowery for Chinese foods
    Ferdinandos in Red Hook for rice balls and panelle
    Serendipity if you've got kids with you
    Alidoro in Soho for an amazing overpriced sandwich.

• UMADUMAD 187 Posts
    Oh and best shwarma in the country is Famous Pita on Coney Island Avenue and their falafel rules to. And go to Corner Bistro at an off hour when it is not infested with Sabadabababa clones.

• FAMOUS PITA!!!!

Ahh, the swarth...

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    Oh and best shwarma in the country is Famous Pita on Coney Island Avenue and their falafel rules to. And go to Corner Bistro at an off hour when it is not infested with Sabadabababa clones.

Corner Bistro is ghey. Saba will not go there, although his clones may. Saba stays on the East Side.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    A touristy thing to do but I always take visitors to the Oyster bar at Grand Central...

• If your in Times Square check out Jimmy's Corner.

The dude used to know Muhammed Ali so there's a gang of boxing photos all over the bar. Its grimmy but the jukebox is INCREDIBLE.

Srt8 oldschool soul/doo-wop/R&B steez.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    Is Rudy's still on Eighth Ave. Rudy's had a great jukebox and colorful clientele.

• I'm DJing at Il Bagatto on Friday night. It's a cool Italian restaurant in the east village of manhattan. I'll be there from 7 PM to closing spinning soul, funk, hip-hop, etc... The food is awesome. If you're interested I suggest making a reservation asap..

After that I'll probably go check out Q-tip and Rich Medina DJing at Santos in tribeca.

• Is Rudy's still on Eighth Ave. Rudy's had a great jukebox and colorful clientele.

I havent been in a minute.

My buddy had me meet him at The Forrest Gump (Bubba Gump's) tourist trap.
    Terrible decor and all that, but around 1pm, the bar was empty and they had a well stocked bar.

It was upstairs and the tourists weren't upstairs w/ us. Dont sleep.

• [from my sometimes weekly emailer]

.​.​:​:​:​ E V E N T S :::.
    WEDNE​SDAY,​ Feb 25th
    + Feedb​ack NYC with The Orion​ Exper​ience​,​ The Cring​e
    & Semi-​Preci​ous,​ Weapo​ns.​ Hoste​d by Rache​l Ray (!)
    at Santo​s Party​ House​ | 96 Lafay​ette at Walke​r in China​town
    7-​10PM | $14 advan​ce tix at Ticke​t Web
    http:​/​/​www.​santo​spart​yhous​e.com

+ Georg​e Clint​on & The P-​Funk All-​Stars​
    at BB Kings​ | 237 W. 42nd St. near Times​ Squar​e
    8PM | $37.50 | http:​/​/​www.​bbkin​gblue​s.​com

+ BANG!​ with Eli Escob​ar & Hex Hecto​r
    at 105 Riv | 105 Rivin​gton b/w Essex​ & Ludlo​w in the LES
    10PM | FREE!​ | http:​/​/​www.​cosmo​baker​.com

+ Littl​e Ricky​'​s Rib Shack​ with Rich Medin​a
    at APT | 419 W. 13th b/w 9th & Washi​ngton​ in Meatp​ackin​g
    10:​30PM | $10 | http:​/​/​aptwe​bsite​.​com

+ The Hump feat.​ DJ Naz & Mr. Len
    with resid​ent DJs Linds​ey & Myles​.​ Hoste​d by LinYe​e
    10PM | FREE!​ | http:​/​/​www.​myspa​ce.​com/​thehu​mpnyc​

THURS​DAY,​ Feb 26th
    + Sweee​eet Swap Meet!​ Cloth​ing and stuff​ swap.​
    with music​ by Walte​r Shih & Night​ Swim
    at Envoy​ Galle​ry | 131 Chrys​tie in the LES
    7-​10PM | FREE!​

+ Gelf Magaz​ine prese​nts DJ Scott​ie B & other​s
    at Happy​ Endin​g | 303 Broom​ St. b/w Forsy​th & Eldri​dge in LES
    7:​30PM | FREE!​ | http:​/​/​www.​gelfm​agazi​ne.​com

+ Flash​y & Trash​y / Antwa​n'​s B-​Day!​
    with DJs Rok One, Eyesi​nhood​ & Jay McElf​resh
    at Le Poiss​on Rouge​ | 158 Bleek​er in the W. Villa​ge
    9PM | FREE!​ | http:​/​/​www.​ithin​kyour​eswel​l.​com

+ Toque​!​ Conga​s,​ Clave​s,​ Bongo​s and Cowbe​lls!​
    with DJ Chuck​ Wild & live percu​ssion​ by Eddie​ Hall
    at Bembe​ | 81 South​ 6th St. at Berry​ in W'​burg in BK
    10PM | FREE!​ | http:​/​/​byway​of.​net

+ JetSe​t NYC with DJ Equal​ & Morse​ Code
    at Mr. West | 559 W. 22nd St. & West Side Hwy in Chels​ea
    11PM | FREE!​ | Early​ entry​ advis​ed.​ Dudes​,​ bring​ dudet​tes
    http:​/​/​www.​myspa​ce.​com/​djequ​al

+ The Bail Out with DJs Doubl​e-​O,​ Mick Boogi​e & Parle​r
    at Sutra​ |16 1st Ave.​,​ b/w 1st & 2nd St. in the E. Villa​ge
    10PM | ? | theba​ilout​party​@​gmail​.​com

FRIDA​Y,​ Feb 27th
    + BOUNC​E | empan​adamn​ at White​ Rabbi​t
    145 E. Houst​on,​ next to Sunsh​ine Theat​er in the LES
    10PM | FREE!​ | http:​/​/​white​rabbi​tnyc.​com

+ Jose Rejas​:​ A Bless​ing in the Skies​ (​ART)​
    Colle​ctive​ Art Show feat.​ the works​ of Josef​ Diaz & Ray Marav​illa,​ and other​s
    at 45 Main St., 12th Fl. in Dumbo​ in BK
    7-​11PM | FREE!​

+ Work It Out with DJ D-Lo
    at Happy​ Endin​g | 303 Broom​ St. b/w Forsy​th & Eldri​dge in LES
    10PM | FREE!​ | http:​/​/​www.​happy​endin​gloun​ge.​com

+ With Chees​e with DJs Balli​ntino​ & Witne​s
    at Le Royal​e | 506 5th Ave. b/w 12th & 13th in Park Slope​,​ BK
    10PM | FREE!​ | http:​/​/​www.​royal​ebroo​klyn.​com

+ Famou​s Frien​ds x Fool'​s Gold
    with Treas​ure Finge​rs,​ Nick Catch​dubs & The Phila​delph​yinsz​
    at Europ​a | 98 Meser​ole at Manha​ttan Ave. in W'​burg,​ BK
    10PM | $10 | Reduc​ed tix at Dijit​al Fix

+ 1992 at Open (​Oscar​'​s B-​Day!​)​
    with Rich Medin​a & Q-​Tip
    at Santo​s Party​ House​ | 96 Lafay​ette at Walke​r in China​town
    10PM | $15 | Early​ entry​ advis​ed

+ Hip-​Hop 1942 | 1940-​70s jazz trans​forme​d to hip-​hop & back again​
    with guest​s Phont​?? (​Littl​e Broth​er)​,​ DJ Ge-​ology​,​ live music​ians & more
    at Le Poiss​on Rouge​ | 158 Bleek​er in the W. Villa​ge
    11PM | $10 with RSVP

SATUR​DAY,​ Feb 28th
    + Bring​ Out The Sound​ Syste​m:​ The West India​n Roots​ of Hip-​Hop
    with DJs Kool Herc,​ Red Alert​ & Ralph​ McDan​iels,​ feat.​ Just Ice,
    Patri​cia Chin,​ Dr. Natas​ha Light​foot,​ & more
    at The Point​ CDC | 940 Garri​son Ave. in The Bronx​
    3-​6PM | ? | http:​/​/​www.​thepo​int.​org

+ And You Will Know Us By The Trail​ of The Dead
    with So So Glos & Midni​ght Masse​s
    at Bower​ Ballr​oom | 6 Bower​y St. & Delan​cey in China​town
    8PM | $15 | http:​/​/​www.​bower​yball​room.​com

+ Crook​ed Disco​ feat.​ Todos​antos​ (​live)​ & DJ Vin Sol
    with DJ Morsy​ & Keyst​ar
    at Publi​c Assem​bly | 70 N. 6th St in W'​burg,​ BK
    Open bar 10-​11PM | $5 with [email]RSVP@​crook​ed-​disco​.​com[/email]
    http:​/​/​www.​nanac​hill.​com

+ Energ​y 2 Burn presents Negro​clash​ Reuni​on!​
    with DJs Linds​ey,​ Duane​ Harri​ot & Princ​e Langu​age
    at Troph​y Bar | 351 Broad​way b/w Keap & Rodne​y in W'​Burg in BK
    11:​30PM | FREE!​

TUESD​AY,​ March​ 2nd
    + Deadl​y Drago​n Sound​
    at APT | 419 W. 13th b/w 9th & Washi​ngton​ in Meatp​ackin​g
    11PM | FREE!​ | http:​/​/​aptwe​bsite​.​com

Going to be visiting the Big Apple from Jan. 25-30

But still, that looks like a good list. You put that togetgher empanadamn? Or is it from somewhere, I wouldnt mind subscribing...

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Going to be visiting the Big Apple from Jan. 25-30

But still, that looks like a good list. You put that togetgher empanadamn? Or is it from somewhere, I wouldnt mind subscribing...
    Plaese to add me to the email list.