the incomplete stax/volt singles collection

ephraimephraim 7 Posts
edited January 2009 in Strut Central
i've been noticing lately a few really nice tracks that aren't on the big stax/volt singles collection. they included some b-sides on there, but there are lots that didn't make it. i thought maybe we could put our heads together and come up with a list of the best titles that aren't on the collection. here are my votes:Inez Foxx - "Watch the dog"Johnnie Taylor - "It's Amazing"anybody got some other recommendations of tracks to check out? for those of you who don't have the whole track listing, it's here:track listing - complete stax/volt singles 1959-1975

Comments

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Israel "Popper Stopper" Tolbert - "Big Leg Woman With A Short Short Mini-Skirt"[/b]

This song from 1970 was actually an A-side...Top 20 on Billboard's soul charts when it came out on Warren, which was distributed by Stax...I am assuming that Stax no longer holds the rights, which is why it wasn't included on the second Stax box. (Tolbert had a really good album, too...although the cover sez it's on Warren, the label is Stax, logo and all.)

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Israel "Popper Stopper" Tolbert - "Big Leg Woman With A Short Short Mini-Skirt"[/b]

This song from 1970 was actually an A-side...Top 20 on Billboard's soul charts when it came out on Warren, which was distributed by Stax...I am assuming that Stax no longer holds the rights, which is why it wasn't included on the second Stax box. (Tolbert had a really good album, too...although the cover sez it's on Warren, the label is Stax, logo and all.)
    That's a really good 45. Probably got overlooked because it was only Stax distributed & not on one of their own labels.

Probably similar reason as to why there no Big Star 45s are included.

• nice, i'll have to check that one out. here's another that i think is pretty good:

little milton - "bet you i win"

nice, i'll have to check that one out. here's another that i think is pretty good:

Agreed. So odd how they left some B-sides off but included others??

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Some of the early Satellite singles were pretty good. As I recall, the box set doesn't even begin to do justice to those.

Probably similar reason as to why there no Big Star 45s are included.

The reason why Big Star wasn't included was because they were focusing on the soul sides...for various reasons, the rock, gospel, country, jazz and "miscellaneous" 45's that Stax released during the seventies were left out. Besides, I think Stax still might have the rights to Big Star; the most recent CD reissue of their two Ardent albums was indeed on Stax.

I can think of at least one (seemingly) legit Stax soul release that did not make the box sets at all: Carla Thomas' "The Time For Love Is Anytime"/"I'm Going Back To Living In The City," Stax 0061, from 1970.

nice, i'll have to check that one out. here's another that i think is pretty good:

Agreed. So odd how they left some B-sides off but included others??

Probably because of space.

As far as why some flip sides were included, it's probably because some titles were just too damned good to ignore (like Sam & Dave's "Wrap It Up").

That's a really good 45. Probably got overlooked because it was only Stax distributed & not on one of their own labels.

But if they still had the rights, it would have been on there.

they were focusing on the soul sides...
    No Lena Zavaroni

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    No Lena Zavaroni

No Senior Soul, either.

No Lena Zavaroni

No Senior Soul, either.

And you can forget about black country singer O.B. McClinton and his 1971 masterpiece, "Country Music, That's My Thing":

"My old lady even looked at me and said, 'I like James Brown'
    Man, he sings that sweet soul music; he can pick 'em up & put 'em down
    But you runnin' 'round here in your Western boots; boy you oughta be killed
    For singin' all of them old country songs up there in Nashville
    (and I said, SIT DOWN WOMAN & YOU LISSEN GOOD)
    I got a thang, you got a thang, alla God's chillun got a thang
    Well, country music, friend - that's my thang"

• Charlene & The Soul Serenaders - Love Changes / Can You Win (VOLT - 4052)

You can win is the side and its not on the stax singles.

I first heard this from Dante off a local label label "paradox" and he told me is was also issued on stax (not that it is easy to find on as you need an issue the demo it AA)

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    ^ The double A-side swings around, but I don't think I've ever seen the A-B, now that I think about it.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    (Tolbert had a really good album, too...although the cover sez it's on Warren, the label is Stax, logo and all.)

I thought that album was kinda weak, actually.

(Tolbert had a really good album, too...although the cover sez it's on Warren, the label is Stax, logo and all.)

I thought that album was kinda weak, actually.

i dont care what anybody say, i know what i know - the LP soundz good to me! we'll agree to disagree

• Charlene & The Soul Serenaders - Love Changes / Can You Win (VOLT - 4052)

You can win is the side and its not on the stax singles.

interesting - thanks! i'll have to add that to the endless wants-list... anybody have a sound clip?

I can think of at least one (seemingly) legit Stax soul release that did not make the box sets at all: Carla Thomas' "The Time For Love Is Anytime"/"I'm Going Back To Living In The City," Stax 0061, from 1970.

weird that they totally missed a carla thomas 45, especially considering that they included even really obscure records that they gave us no info on, like the joni wilson. though i can't say that i wished there'd been more carla thomas.

weird that they totally missed a carla thomas 45, especially considering that they included even really obscure records that they gave us no info on, like the joni wilson. though i can't say that i wished there'd been more carla thomas.
    You're not missing a thing. I like Carla, but the single is really unremarkable.

other stax artists missing from the box sets:

kim weston (i think maybe ONE of her songs made it)

lou johnson

"The Get It" by Johnny Twist & Bo Dud (on Weis)

"For Wes" by the Soul Merchants (on Weis)

I believe that Stax does not have the rights to these songs, even though they released them back in the day (or in the case of the Weis 45's, distributed them)