Mapping Prop 8 support

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited January 2009 in Strut Central
I think the ethics of a map like this - identifying individual donors to Prop 8 - are very much open to debate but I have to say - there is some fascinating demographic/geographic data to be explored here, in particular, the intersections between politics and wealth in specific neighborhoods (seriously, what's up with La Crescenta/La Canada in Los Angeles?)

Comments

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    I think the ethics of a map like this - identifying individual donors to Prop 8 - are very much open to debate but I have to say - there is some fascinating demographic/geographic data to be explored here, in particular, the intersections between politics and wealth in specific neighborhoods (seriously, what's up with La Crescenta/La Canada in Los Angeles?)

This is def an interesting idea, but the google maps interface is ridiculously annoying. The further you zoom out, the less you see- related. A dot density map of donors as a function of population would be way more illuminating/ easy to take in.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    Who the hell lives in SF but donates upwards of $2000 to an anti-gay prop? Somebody in my hometown donated $5000.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

This is def an interesting idea, but the google maps interface is ridiculously annoying. The further you zoom out, the less you see- related. A dot density map of donors as a function of population would be way more illuminating/ easy to take in.

Agreed! It's misleading in fact, as I'm quickly realizing.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    There's one person in Chicago that donated to this cause. Not very far away from my house, etiher.

Pink paint + SuperSoaker = the lord's work

(obviously kidding)