RIP Willa Dorsey

LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
edited January 2009 in Strut Central
Great gospel singer. She sang with piano or with choir, and her voice had a classical quality. She made no "contemporary" gospel gospel records. So not what most strutters are looking for on a gospel record. I am here to tell you she was a great great singer and performer. I heard her many times in Portland churches. In the Pentecostal churches people would be rolling in the aisles screaming. One of the most powerful voices I ever heard. http://www.artscatter.com/general/willa-dorsey-1933-2009-farewell-to-gods-golden-voice/Oh yeah, she was kin to Georgia Tom Dorsey the blues piano player who recorded with Tampa Red and Bill Broonzy and many others. He was also Thomas Dorsey the creator of the modern gospel song. RIP

Comments

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    I think I posted this on Waxidermy a couple years back but the address on the back of this record is a house 3 blocks from where we live under Willa Dorsey Productions.

I love the hair and the Font.

I had been getting weekly updates on her health thru Shawn aka Fatboy Bakery,
    Dr. Wu knows him as well. He comes into the bar at least once a week selling his goods. Just Last week he did tell me she was in a nursing home and not doing well, I believe she had had a stroke very recently also.
    He told me many a stories about her being friends with Mahalia and doing short tours with her. Anyways, I know Shawn was a family friend and kept close tabs on her thru phone calls and visits so I hope he is ok.

RIP

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

RIP, that LP has a few jams on it. One has a pretty cool intro from memory. Great great singer.