Cassette Repair Experts

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
edited January 2009 in Strut Central
Like a newbie dumbass I used a 90 minute cassette and my 4 track recorder and it ate a tape up for lunch last night that has hours of work on it.In my minimal attempt to salvage it, the tape split like a twig. Anybody have experience repairing damaged cassettes?I'm thinking I'm going to unscrew it and splice it back together using scotch tape.

Comments

• From what i remember BITD, some scotch tape will work but that part (obviously) will be dead

• cascas 1,484 Posts

I'm thinking I'm going to unscrew it and splice it back together using scotch tape.

best bet.

i used to have it down to a science BITD. i had to fix every copy of this that i have ever owned.

damn near every tape i ever owned from rap-a-lot needed extra attention. except prince johnny c. i never made it thru that one. [/nahmeantriplebeam?]

• might want to try taking it apart and putting the reels into another cassette. Sometimes they are too tight and it messes things up. for the adhesive tape, get an exacto knife and a piece of masking tape. cut it to the appropriate size and just place it on the back of the spliced area. Or both sides for extra strength, using a fold over method.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    might want to try taking it apart and putting the reels into another cassette. Sometimes they are too tight and it messes things up. for the adhesive tape, get an exacto knife and a piece of masking tape. cut it to the appropriate size and just place it on the back of the spliced area. Or both sides for extra strength, using a fold over method.

yes, though beware the mis-aligned (crooked) result, which will only jack the whole thing up more when you try to play it.

i put one broken half onto a piece of scotch* tape, with scotch tape left over to receive the other broken end you will be marrying to it - but before sticking the other end on, i use *another* piece of scotch tape to tape the assembly down to the table, so it cant move. (not covering over the audio tape, just a corner of the scotch tape).

then use tweezers to set the other broken half on the tape at exactly the right angle, matching the split exactly (NOTE be sure you dont do a "mobius strip" flip over and tape the music side to the non music side)

once the two broken ends are safely taped on to the tape, use exacto knife and cut away the excess on the side(s), which will also then free it from its anchor to the table. wind it back in and voila.

i find folding over or tape on both sides makes the tape too thick and can snap it again +/or gum up the works inside the cassette shell later. plus you guarantee a dropout where you taped over the music.

note if the tape has several inches thats all stretched or wrinkled, you may have to cut away the mess and make your own fresh joining spot. youll of course lose some music in that case.

* 'magic' tape only, not the glossy stuff.