BOBBY LESTER ON COLUMBIA: Any Good?

pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
edited January 2009 in Strut Central
I've seen this LP around, and I'd like to know what Soul Strut thinks.I'm assuming it's a rockish soul record, due to the backing musicians who were all known sidemen in that field (Harvey Brooks is the only name coming to mind).

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    You'd assume right. Debatably good. Everytime I've seen it, it's been overpriced. Don't pay over $10.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    yeah, the copy i have on hold is pretty cheap ($5), but still, i thought id get some second opinions. thanks, and if anyone else has any thoughts keep em coming.

columbia wasnt exactly a hotbed of black music at the time of this albums release ('69 or '70), so this could be potentially cheesy. while i do like the rock/soul sound of the chambers bros., sly, and other similar columbia artists, i cant say yet whether bobby lester is as good as those acts. but at that low price i can afford to experiment.

By debatably good, I mean I've heard people say they like it even though I didn't. But you and I often disagree about tunes, so it's your thing.

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    i do not ride. i remember it being really middle of the road stuff.

peace,xavier

• sucks

VINDICATED!

more like what i suspected!!!

still deciding whether to buy it or not, but unless i can hear it first, im leaning towards "no"

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    while i do like the rock/soul sound of the chambers bros., sly, and other similar columbia artists

wasnt sly on epic?

• more like what i suspected!!!

still deciding whether to buy it or not, but unless i can hear it first, im leaning towards "no"

its more of a poor man's Dobie Gray, or homeless person's Paul Kelly...

while i do like the rock/soul sound of the chambers bros., sly, and other similar columbia artists

wasnt sly on epic?

yes, and epic is a columbia subsidiary

more like what i suspected!!!

its more of a poor man's Dobie Gray, or homeless person's Paul Kelly...

i kinda assumed that from looking at it, but wasnt sure

i actually like paul kelly (i know youre not into him), and dobie gray has had his moments, but a lesser version of either probably wouldnt work