Weekend Finds

llmod1llmod1 317 Posts
edited January 2009 in Strut Central
Got a call today from my local jazz hating record dealer that he had some weird stuff for me to come look at! Eddie Kendriks - People Hold On - Never seen a UK copy of this?? Is it rare? A guy actually came into the shop with a bag of stuff to sell, the owner turned his nose up at it and invited me to have a look.Nucleus - SolarPlexus - Classic UK jazz rock LP - SpareDon Lang - Gets the Bug - Don't know any thing about Mr Lang. Was informed by fellow customer that he was one of the first UK rockers and that he was lame! This has cool covers of Watermelon Man and Sidewinder.Clarke Boland Big Band - Graet jazz with Sahib Shihab amongst others. Great live version of The Girl and the Turk.Billy Taylor - OK Billy - One great big band funky jazz track. - SpareDizzy Gillespie - Souled Out - Loads of great food based tracks on here inc Pot Licker, Chicken Giblets, etc - SpareCan - Tago Mago - Crazy German electronic psych jazz weirdness. To quote from the sleeve, "They are a big group in the German Underground where a few years ago, before its Liberty release, people were paying ??6 or more for private pressings of Monster Movie." Wonder what this goes for now!Dudley Moore - Dudley - Double LP comp of his best tracks includes the great scat jazz of Waltz for Suzy and the madness of the theme from Bedazzled.Cal Tjader - Sever Shades of Jade - Great Eastern tinged jazz conducted by Lalo.Donald Byrd - UP - Jazz Scat veriosn of Blind Man, Blind Man, Canteloupe Island, etc. Awesome!Don Harper - Homo Electronicus - Crazy version of theme from Doctor WhoRonnie Scott - Live at Ronnies - Great swinging Jazz LPErnie Wilkins - Screaming Mothers - Second one of these I've found in the last week. Great Big Band Funk! - Spare

Comments

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    DO FISH GET THIRSTY? TAKE THE DUMB TEST NOW!

b/w

RAD FINDZ MAYNE

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    i caught a couple from my setsale balance and tradeins at stores

I am loving the live coltrane, sorry for the fuzzy pic but there is a clake boland/sahibshibab on bottom right nice 1$ find

I am loving that zombies record

Le petit prince is for the kids

I also cleaned up my storgae to find this bottomless pit of 45s

will be fun to go through for sure

• Digging

Not Digging

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

Can - Tago Mago - Crazy German electronic psych jazz weirdness. To quote from the sleeve, "They are a big group in the German Underground where a few years ago, before its Liberty release, people were paying ??6 or more for private pressings of Monster Movie." Wonder what this goes for now!

Dude, you never heard of Can before?

• llmod1llmod1 317 Posts
    Course I have, I've got half a dozen of their LP's. Just thought the comment on the sleeve was fun

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    How are they (Can) anything "jazz"?

• JP,

what's the record that says "computer" and "I like your party"?

I've never seen that one. Any good?

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    JP,

what's the record that says "computer" and "I like your party"?

I've never seen that one. Any good?

He has it on the bay
    http://cgi.ebay.com/COMPUTERMAN-Bugalulu...1QQcmdZViewItem

the clips sound pretty damn good.

• How are they (Can) anything "jazz"?

they improvise and can swing like a motherfucker...not traditionaly, but they swing...hard. Thats Jazz, is it not?

• llmod1llmod1 317 Posts

they improvise and can swing like a motherfucker...not traditionaly, but they swing...hard. Thats Jazz, is it not?

Couldn't have said it better myself!

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

Couldn't have said it better myself!
    They still aren't jazz.

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts

Nice scoop on the Soul Heaven 'Friends' on Crash.

Still trying to work out the rarity of that issue, assuming it's the first press before Twinight.

• Digging

Is that an Otis Goodwin 45 peeping out from underneath? Underrated side, which used to be findable in piles out in the Pennsyltucky countryside. Not so much anymore...

• Yep, Otis Goodwin on Jazz.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    Can - Tago Mago - Crazy German electronic psych jazz weirdness. To quote from the sleeve, "They are a big group in the German Underground where a few years ago, before its Liberty release, people were paying ??6 or more for private pressings of Monster Movie." Wonder what this goes for now![/b]
    $2,000+

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Gap in TX? Wha the?
    Your first pic is fugged up.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    ^^^ is that OG or the reish??? pretty big find for an OG! ^^^

Anyway, quick pre-snow daytrip up the coast turned out worth it:

Kilroy was actually one of the cheapest of the lot, and is clean.
    Think I have a hookup for a clean cover on the Them, and the vinyl is NM-

That Mersey Beat was a personal white whale, 1964 Columbia set
    of awesome scarce beat tracks, sound "live" in-studio, but no corny
    crowd overdubs or muddy Cavern recordings, solid great-sounding
    stuff and mostly rockabilly covers. White label, too.

Kinda feeling the Thumbs, random one I took a chance on, 1979
    Kansas power-pop/new wave thing with Dylan-style vocalist.

I know people hate on West but I liked this one - way better than
    the self-titled one, too. Sounds like the Association meets country rock.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

• Six from the weekend -

• The first 2 pics are 2 dollar bins at my shhhspot

Shoppin at the record shop and spending slightly more yesterday ... Jonny P and Rudy Valenzano

From a friend via Stones Throw going to listen today:

All types of psyched about this Brazil funk sung by little girls:

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

finally got around to getting Fleet Foxes & Conchords on vinyl.

I'm really digging this Sharpees 45 at the moment

UK only Bob & Earl

one more Queenie Lyons to mark off, if anyone has a spare of the one on Sims please PM.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Caught this NM copy for roughly half the price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370141017465