Hey ODub

RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
edited January 2009 in Strut Central
Have you (or anyone else for that matter) ever read anything by John McWhorter, and if so, what's your opinion of his work?

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Rock: I've never read his books and am not, in general, familiar with his body of work except for his strange exhortations of conscious rappers (as if the latter have been culturally relevant at all).

You read his stuff at all?

• [iknowimnotodub]I met him several times at Cal and he's a real friendly dude.[/iknowimnotodub]

He went to Cal? Or he spoke there?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    [iknowimnotodub]I met him several times at Cal and he's a real friendly dude.[/iknowimnotodub]

S'cool....I did ask "anyone" to reply.

I read his recent article in Forbes and wondered how the Strut viewed him....dude taught at UC Berkeley so I figured he had some cred here.....

http://www.forbes.com/2008/11/05/obama-racism-president-oped-cx_jm_1105mcwhorter.html

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    He went to Cal? Or he spoke there?

Was on the faculty, I think.

Rich, what little I know of JW is that he's part of this new generation of younger Black scholars who are trying to challenge - with varying degrees of success - the orthodoxy of previous generations. I don't know if he'd rightfully be called a contrarian but he is trying to make a splash by taking on different kinds of sacred cows. But I really haven't read much of his stuff; these days, I'm more interested in how race relations (between communities besides Black and White) get framed than specific politics within Black America. Not that the latter isn't interesting - I really like how Ta-Nehisi Coates has been putting it down for the Atlantic Monthly - but there's just so much to try to absorb and I haven't spent time really digging into it.

• He was on the faculty.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    Dude is often name checked in more center/right-center public papers such as WSJ & the Economist when they dabble in writings about hip-hop.

It's SS catnip...but here's[/b] a particular article that was in the Economist a few months back

Dude is often name checked in more center/right-center public papers such as WSJ & the Economist when they dabble in writings about hip-hop.

It's SS catnip...but here's[/b] a particular article that was in the Economist a few months back

Yeah - I saw that and was incredulous. It's conception of what the politics of hip-hop are - in 2008 - just seemed so utterly off the mark. He's writing as if this was still 1989 and politics in hip-hop is something anyone really paid attention to.

He was on the faculty.

Ah, I see.

Looking over his CV, looks like he was at Cal on a post-doc around 1993, but I was doing a lot less around campus by then (my senior year) and by the time I came back for grad school, he had already finished his post-doc and was on to the next episode.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts

Yeah - I saw that and was incredulous. It's conception of what the politics of hip-hop are - in 2008 - just seemed so utterly off the mark. He's writing as if this was still 1989 and politics in hip-hop is something anyone really paid attention to.

sayin. not really trying to get the hip-hop perspective from my Economist subscription.

to quote Cube. "Yo Dre, stick to producin".

sayin. not really trying to get the hip-hop perspective from my Economist subscription.

to quote Cube. "Yo Dre, stick to producin".

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    [iknowimnotodub]I met him several times at Cal and he's a real friendly dude.[/iknowimnotodub]

I read his recent article in Forbes and wondered how the Strut viewed him....dude taught at UC Berkeley so I figured he had some cred here.....

http://www.forbes.com/2008/11/05/obama-racism-president-oped-cx_jm_1105mcwhorter.html

LOL @ SoulStrut + Berkeley = twin pillars of the liberal establishment

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

You're pitiful.

Especially since both are stereotyped as being extremely conservative...I guess that is kinda funny.

Soulstrut is extremely conservative? Since when?

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

You've never seen Paycheck on Fox News? He's like their f*cking go-to guy nowadays. "Here's Jonny with another installment of 'Man on the Skreetz'"