Revolutionary Road?

mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
edited January 2009 in Strut Central
Wasn't there another post on this movie?Was it deleted?Has anyone else seen this move?I am curious to see what other 'strutters thought of it before i make my feeelings known.

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I don't think we've talked about it yet. Haven't seen it, probably won't. Would rather read the OG Yates first but I suspect I'll find it soul-crushing.

• I don't think we've talked about it yet. Haven't seen it, probably won't. Would rather read the OG Yates first but I suspect I'll find it soul-crushing.

You will.

Probably won't see the movie in the theatre. Loved the book, but it was VERY bleak. It makes the subsequent Suburban-Ennui genre that it helped spawn (along with Cheever and a few others) look quaint and happy by comparison.

Seriously, "American Beauty," and Rick Moody need not apply here.

• I don't think we've talked about it yet. Haven't seen it, probably won't. Would rather read the OG Yates first but I suspect I'll find it soul-crushing.

You will.

Probably won't see the movie in the theatre. Loved the book, but it was VERY bleak.

They're using a Nick Drake tune (from 'Pink Moon) in the commercial...

• Great book.

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    I'm a huge fan of Yates. Certainly read the book first. Classic but, of course, very bleak. If you dig it, I'd recommend any of his novels and I absolutely love his short stories. This book is a steal at that price. So much gold in there.

I'll see the film more out of curiousity than anything else. I don't have high hopes but I'd love to be happily surprised. Though, there's no way will Leonardo will replace my mental image of Frank Wheeler.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    I hated American Beauty but really enjoyed Road To Perdition...so I thought id give it a try and my girl wanted to see it too so we went.

Honestly, this movie was embarassingly bad.
    Like "laugh-out-loud in the theater at the serious parts" bad.
    People got up and walked out of the theater and i rarely see that happen.
    It was such a mess.

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts

Honestly, this movie was embarassingly bad.
    Like "laugh-out-loud in the theater at the serious parts" bad.
    People got up and walked out of the theater and i rarely see that happen.
    It was such a mess.

Oh well. This was my expectation after seeing the trailer. The scenes in the trailer appear so forced and unnatural which is the very opposite of how Yates' writing comes across.

I almost vomited when I saw the new edition of Revolutionary Road in Borders with Leonardo's face on it. Though, I suppose it'll turn on the soccer mom crowd to Yates' books which would be a fun sort of twisted irony.