What's good in the Town? (Oscar Grant-R)

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited January 2009 in Strut Central
Was reading about the rioting tonight. Everyone safe?http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/01/07/MN2N155CN1.DTL

Comments

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Ugh. I understand the protest and I'm for it, but the rioting where hard-working folks' property is destroyed? That's some ugly ass shit. I know, "riots aren't pretty...gotta break eggs to make an omelet...blah blah blah"...but still.

All my bullshit ass 2 cents aside, I hope and pray that all my Bay Area friends and family are safe.

b/w

I know this is a childish observation but I can't front, I chuckled a bit at this clarification:

Mandingo Hayes, who is black

Probably would've been funnier if he were, like, Asian.

• I was at the protest from 3 till about 5:30, right as the March was organizing. I then went out to dinner then the clurb. Still don't know what is happening.

I got some video i'mma upload later.

• From what I heard the riot is the only being shown in the media. Which is like showing just race threads and equating them to soulstrut

herm:

easier said than done. our lifestyles are luxuries. people in those communities....this is every day for them. it gets to a point where enough is enough

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

herm:

easier said than done. our lifestyles are luxuries. people in those communities....this is every day for them. it gets to a point where enough is enough

I know that, I wasn't born yesterday.

I'm talking about the people in that article who (admittedly, I'm assuming) also live in or came up in "those" communities (the salon owner and the step class student, specifically).

And I DO realize that in riots pretty much anything goes, I'm just wishing that the anger and aggression was directed at better targets. Though regardless, if a cop car gets f*cked up, a city building gets destroyed, etc.. we, as taxpayers, end up footing the bill so in the grand scheme of things it's still just...ugh.

• And I DO realize that in riots pretty much anything goes, I'm just wishing that the anger and aggression was directed at better targets./quote]

easier said than done

• Pat - "people in those communities"?

I mean... Fruitvale ain't the Gaza Strip. Just saying...

The mob smashed the windows at Creative African Braids on 14th Street, and a woman walked out of the shop holding a baby in her arms.

"This is our business," shouted Leemu Topka, the black owner of the salon she started four years ago. "This is our shop. This is what you call a protest?"

Wednesday night's vandalism victims had nothing to do with the shooting death by a BART police officer of Oscar Grant on New Year's Day - but that did little to sway the mob.

"I feel like the night is going great," said Nia Sykes, 24, of San Francisco, one of the demonstrators. "I feel like Oakland should make some noise. This is how we need to fight back. It's for the murder of a black male."

Sykes, who is black, had little sympathy for the owner of Creative African Braids.

"She should be glad she just lost her business and not her life," Sykes said. She added that she did have one worry for the night: "I just hope nobody gets shot or killed."

Aahhhhhhhh Oakland

• As someone who is not categorically opposed to well targeted property destruction, what happened last night is in my view totally pathetic. A bunch of morons who used a tragedy as an excuse to go out and destroy a bunch of random stuff. F*ck those people and please don't think that it represents people in the Bay Area in general because it doesn't.

The mob smashed the windows at Creative African Braids on 14th Street, and a woman walked out of the shop holding a baby in her arms.

"This is our business," shouted Leemu Topka, the black owner of the salon she started four years ago. "This is our shop. This is what you call a protest?"

Wednesday night's vandalism victims had nothing to do with the shooting death by a BART police officer of Oscar Grant on New Year's Day - but that did little to sway the mob.

"I feel like the night is going great," said Nia Sykes, 24, of San Francisco, one of the demonstrators. "I feel like Oakland should make some noise. This is how we need to fight back. It's for the murder of a black male."

Sykes, who is black, had little sympathy for the owner of Creative African Braids.

"She should be glad she just lost her business and not her life," Sykes said. She added that she did have one worry for the night: "I just hope nobody gets shot or killed."

Aahhhhhhhh Oakland

it also isn't san mateo, tucson, or the LES

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    This Oaklander is fine aside from being pissed off at the BART cop and at these stupid fu[/b]cking dickhead fu[/b]ckface rioters.

Aahhhhhhhh Oakland

it also isn't san mateo, tucson, or the LES

Well LES is a neighborhood, not a city and I don't even live there anymore so your passive aggressive poke is FAIL

But seriously, Oakland's a big city. I've lived and worked there. It's not East St. Louis or Gary or even Baltimore. You make it sound like if you live on Teh Mean Streetz Of Oakland you have cause to riot and burn shit down because it's so bad.