Tribe joins Rock of love

WheelWellRiderWheelWellRider 19 Posts
edited January 2009 in Strut Central
Maybe she will join "Intervention" in the future. Toomer should reach out to Candy Finnigan.

Comments

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    She got up back in the day!

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    I don't have any confirmation of this beside dude's word, but this cat I worked with at Gramaphone got with her when she was in town back in like 2005. He wasn't usually prone to braggadocio so I believed him. He called in at like 11:40 to say that he wouldn't be making his noon shift. Later he said it was because he was spending "quality time" with her. He told me that all the guys around her were all up in her face. He played the shy guy on the side role and evidently got paid.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Funny story, and good news to "quiet guys" across the world. I have plied this tactic for many years but only find success when I am more outgoing.

What was Gramaphone's sick policy anyway? Did the house guy have to double-up on the techno section if that guy called in sick?

• ha, i didn't see her intro, but I thought that was her.

• Wait, why is she rappin from a piece of paper that says Genital Herpes in giant letters on it???!!? WTF is that about???? You can see it in the freeze frame see LOOK:

Haha, your boy 'quiet is kep' caught the burn! She's also busted as all hell but anyway.

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    The brazilian girl on the show called her "Scary Spicy." Lulz for dayz.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    Why would anyone want to disrespect their own dick with that busted chick? There is a reason she got kicked off the first show.

And yeah, quiet Gramaphone dude probably has herpes now.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    LT
    perhaps the greatest MTF DJ mindboggler of all internet times
    thanks for this, I'd forgotten

oh my goodness how could I have forgotten? I forgive you, internet.

DJ LadyTribe.
    greatest crossover deejay graffer idiot fauxblonde aZn netstar of the early 00's!!!

Always confusing...
    Upon first seeing her, I remember thinking that it was the old "ha ha! You got aroused by a man! You are so gay!" joke...but was deeper: she had more STREET_KRED than you did, with the fat-tip bad burner throwup fill-ins and testimonials from real_hedz...but the gigantic fake tits could not be overlooked...nor could the horrid rapping attempts...but yet and still: I'd risk contracting any and all STD's listed, even the ones hidden deep within pages 3 and 4 of that hot looseleaf rhymebook, for just one bombing mission with that ladyboi...

I guess Season Whatever of Rock Of Love Bus (???) is a logical step...

just, wow, though.

I LOVE IT. All of it. She's a crux in a bunch of "hiphop culture" arguments...I love her.

haha and white_tea just added more, with his "LT As Nice Guys Finish First Redemption Trophy" story...

so good.

ps almost makes me want to get cable TV again

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    This season's Rock of Love show will be worth the price of cable alone.

The first episode was a face melter.

Funny story, and good news to "quiet guys" across the world. I have plied this tactic for many years but only find success when I am more outgoing.

What was Gramaphone's sick policy anyway? Did the house guy have to double-up on the techno section if that guy called in sick?

The guy in question was the hip-hop guy and I think we were working the same shift so I don't remember it being a big deal. He just obviously wasn't sick. Shit was crazy lax there.

It really helped if you could cross train. The techno guy, Josh Werner, my homie, was around long enough that he could answer at least basic questions and make suggestions in all departments. Most of the veterans could do this. If he was out, it was hard for the rest of us to cover the techno section, though. I was hip-hop, but from working at Groove Distribution I could handle the downtempo section and could seriously hold my own in the house section. Gramaphone's most popular house style was soulful garage MAW type stuff that I like, so that was no problem. I could fake it in the techno section if I really had to, but I didn't follow it much.

During one of my first booth shifts (where you play the records that pipe to the whole store and hand out needles for listening stations) I was playing house records instead of hip-hop because all the regular house fools were shopping. The manager was all impressed that I sussed out the clientele and played accordingly instead of playing my department. This seemed obvious to me, but it made me like the star employee there, which gives you an idea of the level that most people were hitting at.

Yes, typically the more outgoing the better. In the case of a woman who is in very high demand with salivating poptarts all around, playing it cool on the side can often be the way to go.

In this situation, as some have mentioned, whether the "prize" was worth winning is the subject of debate.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    I sussed out the clientele and played accordingly instead of playing my department. This seemed obvious to me,

man, I wish you worked in every record store in my town...I can't tell you how many times I've had to bounce because ___INSERT TEPIDITY HERE___ was playing...

(or is it that the selector hit the nail on the head, and I'm the mark?--nah...)

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts

The guy in question was the hip-hop guy and I think we were working the same shift so I don't remember it being a big deal. He just obviously wasn't sick. Shit was crazy lax there.

It really helped if you could cross train. The techno guy, Josh Werner, my homie, was around long enough that he could answer at least basic questions and make suggestions in all departments. Most of the veterans could do this. If he was out, it was hard for the rest of us to cover the techno section, though. I was hip-hop, but from working at Groove Distribution I could handle the downtempo section and could seriously hold my own in the house section. Gramaphone's most popular house style was soulful garage MAW type stuff that I like, so that was no problem. I could fake it in the techno section if I really had to, but I didn't follow it much.

During one of my first booth shifts (where you play the records that pipe to the whole store and hand out needles for listening stations) I was playing house records instead of hip-hop because all the regular house fools were shopping. The manager was all impressed that I sussed out the clientele and played accordingly instead of playing my department. This seemed obvious to me, but it made me like the star employee there, which gives you an idea of the level that most people were hitting at.

Nice "read" on the crowd, haha. I used to shop there frequently and would occassionally chat with Sativa and less occassionally fawn (like every other dude in there) over the young trance buyer, [email]Tr@$*.[/email] And old friend of mine, Paul, was doing the drum and bass buying there fairly recently, but I haven't been in there for at least six months. But I'll always have a place in my heart for that store. It was always cool checking in on a Saturday afternoon, back when raves were still big. So many DJs trying to cop stuff to play that night, at the party or club, and it had such a cool energy to it... as long as you didn't park at McDonald's (and not buy anything).

Nice "read" on the crowd, haha. I used to shop there frequently and would occassionally chat with Sativa and less occassionally fawn (like every other dude in there) over the young trance buyer, [Email]Tr@$*.

Yeah, T***y is a cutie. Totally sweet, too. I probably don't need to tell you that being married and working at a record store like g-phone is the worst look ever. So many opportunities I had to pass by. I'm not saying that T***y was an opportunity but who knows?. I definitely detected some rhythm from some fairly prominent female DJ's. Some male ones, too. It was a dance store, after all. That's where being married was the move. "Sorry, hommie, we can only be friends."

And you're right, the vibe in there was awesome. It was hella crowded on the weekends, but that energy you speak of was always there. Plus someone famous would always traipse in and shoot the shit.

The place isn't what it was, but I'll still be sad to see it go, which it eventually will have to. Unless I win the lottery.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts

Nice "read" on the crowd, haha. I used to shop there frequently and would occassionally chat with Sativa and less occassionally fawn (like every other dude in there) over the young trance buyer, [Email]Tr@$*.

Yeah, T***y is a cutie. Totally sweet, too. I probably don't need to tell you that being married and working at a record store like g-phone is the worst look ever. So many opportunities I had to pass by. I'm not saying that T***y was an opportunity but who knows?. I definitely detected some rhythm from some fairly prominent female DJ's. Some male ones, too. It was a dance store, after all. That's where being married was the move. "Sorry, hommie, we can only be friends."

And you're right, the vibe in there was awesome. It was hella crowded on the weekends, but that energy you speak of was always there. Plus someone famous would always traipse in and shoot the shit.

The place isn't what it was, but I'll still be sad to see it go, which it eventually will have to. Unless I win the lottery.

shit someone famous always WORKED there...Heather was my homegirl, she used to always hook me up on the discount tip. I remember Sneak used to work there and so did Derrick I think? I used to know Glen the hip hop guy back in the 90's and I always bought house from Andy back then too..I think that's his name, little Asian dude.

I miss Beat Parlor though, that was my spot for rilla.

shit someone famous always WORKED there...Heather was my homegirl, she used to always hook me up on the discount tip. I remember Sneak used to work there and so did Derrick I think? I used to know Glen the hip hop guy back in the 90's and I always bought house from Andy back then too..I think that's his name, little Asian dude.

That's true. Although when I was there no one that famous was on the payroll. It was more guests shots in the mid 00's. Derrick would roll in all the time. Cajmere/Green Velvet would stop through. Ralphi Rosario was up in there every other day. The whole Superjane crew. Frankie Knuckles of course.

Heather is very good people and one of Chicago's best DJ's. And Andy is still doing it. When he stops working there it's not going to be Gramaphone anymore. He's got great stories.

Ah yes, the Parlor. I was cool with H***e and D*ro, but it always seemed like there was some shady stuff going on, if not with BP then with other of H***e's ventures. Gave me a weird vibe up in there. I was working distribution at the time (and selling to BP) so you talk to people and hear all sorts of rumors.

• This season's Rock of Love show will be worth the price of cable alone.

I hate these shows, but episode one was like a 1.5 hour long version of The Soup... I wish Joel McHale could just do running commentary on a DVD.

That's true. Although when I was there no one that famous was on the payroll. It was more guests shots in the mid 00's. Derrick would roll in all the time. Cajmere/Green Velvet would stop through. Ralphi Rosario was up in there every other day. The whole Superjane crew. Frankie Knuckles of course.

Heather is very good people and one of Chicago's best DJ's. And Andy is still doing it. When he stops working there it's not going to be Gramaphone anymore. He's got great stories.

Ah yes, the Parlor. I was cool with H***e and D*ro, but it always seemed like there was some shady stuff going on, if not with BP then with other of H***e's ventures. Gave me a weird vibe up in there. I was working distribution at the time (and selling to BP) so you talk to people and hear all sorts of rumors.

haha yeah H**ie was the HOMIE though...but yeah, he always seemed on the shady side, but then he'd bust that little kid smile and you'd wonder how the hell reality was what it was. hahaha. Diz used to work in THAT shop, he's good people too. Duro was usually a dick but he hooked me up pretty nice most of the time. I remember Grav used to be up in there every Sunday.

Man I'm guessing we know a lot of the same people there.

haha yeah H**ie was the HOMIE though...but yeah, he always seemed on the shady side, but then he'd bust that little kid smile and you'd wonder how the hell reality was what it was. hahaha. Diz used to work in THAT shop, he's good people too. Duro was usually a dick but he hooked me up pretty nice most of the time. I remember Grav used to be up in there every Sunday.

Yeah, probably. I've been out of the distribution and DJ game so long that a lot of cats wouldn't remember my name. H***e was mad cool. I was never sure at first whether he was going to write me a check for the records I was dropping off or reach over the counter and snap my neck.

My favorite memory of him isn't even Parlor-related. I was at the grocery store standing in front of the ice cream freezer trying to decide which flavor I was going to abuse that night and all of a sudden this large voice half-whispers behind my head, "They're all bad for ya!" I turn around and it was H***e. Funny as hell, and strange for a dude I didn't really know that well. I think that's how I knew we were cool.

And how could I forget Diz? I got to know him real well at G-phone.

Daze, did you stay in Chicago for a while? Sounds like you were a regular in this bitch.

Yeah, probably. I've been out of the distribution and DJ game so long that a lot of cats wouldn't remember my name. H***e was mad cool. I was never sure at first whether he was going to write me a check for the records I was dropping off or reach over the counter and snap my neck.

My favorite memory of him isn't even Parlor-related. I was at the grocery store standing in front of the ice cream freezer trying to decide which flavor I was going to abuse that night and all of a sudden this large voice half-whispers behind my head, "They're all bad for ya!" I turn around and it was H***e. Funny as hell, and strange for a dude I didn't really know that well. I think that's how I knew we were cool.

And how could I forget Diz? I got to know him real well at G-phone.

Daze, did you stay in Chicago for a while? Sounds like you were a regular in this bitch.

yeah, I lived there from 1995 to 2001 but I used to visit a lot before that and actually went a year of high school there in '87. I dj for Anacron so we performed out a bit and I used to dj at Sub-t and spots like that occasionally. My best friend Jairo (RIP) was REAL tight with Derrick, Diz, Shannon(Dayhota), Heather, J-Dub, Gene...etc so that's how I knew them...actually Heather I knew from G-phone but got to know her just kickin it with that crew. He was actually real tight with Green Velvets manager too...I can't remember his name though. And then I was tight with all the hip hop cats just from being in the scene. Metamo, Meatyogre, all the Galapagos kids, Grav, Dirty MF, Jesse de la, PACIFICS, Rude-1, man I could go on forever. I actually just got a random call from a homie and he he handed the phone to someone and it was Buster from Big Shoulders, I dunno if you knew him but man I hadn't heard that voice in like 6 years.

I miss that place but I think the only way I'd move back is if I had a time machine cause that era was just toooooo much fun to ruin with the present.

yeah, I lived there from 1995 to 2001 but I used to visit a lot before that and actually went a year of high school there in '87.

Oh yeah, We've talked about the Anacron connection before. Haven't seen that kid in a minute.

Damn, we must have crossed paths at some point. I did Tuesdays at Subt starting in 1998. I started doing weekends there around 1999, I think. It was like my second home until 2002 or 2003. I got the job at G-phone after that. All those hip-hop cats you mentioned are my guys except Grav. I never met him personally, but he would come through and rip our open mic from time to time. The PACIFICS are like my real crew. Rex has hosted our open mic for as long as we've been doing it, and Norm joined the crew in 1999 or 2000 and has been down ever since. With all the Filipinos in that bitch i'd be like "I'm the white dude who spins at subt on Tuesday."

I miss that place but I think the only way I'd move back is if I had a time machine cause that era was just toooooo much fun to ruin with the present.

yeah, don't bother. The whole area around Subt is weak now. There are still a lot of bars with DJ's and stuff, but it's not the same. It got all Chad/Becky stroller and latte style on me.

• I used to know Glen

Chicago... buddy Glen... Coincidence? I think not!

Don't worry folks, I'm on the case.

• tij1natij1na 14 Posts
    I moved to chicago in 98, so I caught Beat Parlor only a year or so before they closed down, but I always got kinda cold shoulder vibes from the dudes working there, which I actually kind of liked...hahah. I always appreciated the Chicago scene when I moved there because of that kind of grudgy mentality most the cats in the hip hop and house scene carried on their shoulders. It was always more enjoyable for me to go to shops and shows where I was one of the only white dudes there, or at least the only non thugged out white dude there haha. Chicago used to be much more grimy! I always liked going to that little underground African/Rasta boutique right there where Flash taco is now too, which prolly closed in 97 or so, that was the kind of experience/shop that really made me want to be in Chicago. The 6 corners area was my shit!

I moved to chicago in 98, so I caught Beat Parlor only a year or so before they closed down, but I always got kinda cold shoulder vibes from the dudes working there, which I actually kind of liked...hahah. I always appreciated the Chicago scene when I moved there because of that kind of grudgy mentality most the cats in the hip hop and house scene carried on their shoulders. It was always more enjoyable for me to go to shops and shows where I was one of the only white dudes there, or at least the only non thugged out white dude there haha. Chicago used to be much more grimy! I always liked going to that little underground African/Rasta boutique right there where Flash taco is now too, which prolly closed in 97 or so, that was the kind of experience/shop that really made me want to be in Chicago. The 6 corners area was my shit!

I lived right down the street from there at Milwaukee and Greenview and then later at Ashland and Augusta...f*ckin gully neighborhoods. I was up there at 6 corners on the daily. That little spot you're talking about was called Literary Explosion

yeah, I lived there from 1995 to 2001 but I used to visit a lot before that and actually went a year of high school there in '87.

Oh yeah, We've talked about the Anacron connection before. Haven't seen that kid in a minute.

Damn, we must have crossed paths at some point. I did Tuesdays at Subt starting in 1998. I started doing weekends there around 1999, I think. It was like my second home until 2002 or 2003. I got the job at G-phone after that. All those hip-hop cats you mentioned are my guys except Grav. I never met him personally, but he would come through and rip our open mic from time to time. The PACIFICS are like my real crew. Rex has hosted our open mic for as long as we've been doing it, and Norm joined the crew in 1999 or 2000 and has been down ever since. With all the Filipinos in that bitch i'd be like "I'm the white dude who spins at subt on Tuesday."

yeah, don't bother. The whole area around Subt is weak now. There are still a lot of bars with DJ's and stuff, but it's not the same. It got all Chad/Becky stroller and latte style on me.

yeah honestly the only thing making me want to be there is the house scene. The new kids out there are making waves and the old guard is still killin it. I wish I could just stop in at those Grizzled nights on the regular right now to see the Sound Republic kids throw down. Saw em in LA last year and they were ridiculous.

case in point

I used to know Glen

Chicago... buddy Glen... Coincidence? I think not!

Don't worry folks, I'm on the case.

F*ck, I think his name was Glen, the hiphop buyer for Gramaphone for a hot minute...moved to the bay I think. He was real tight with Mark Farina if I remember correctly. didn't Mark work at Gramaphone too at some point?

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Can someone tell me why this thread is this deep already? Inform.

I think I hijacked the thread

• corsiccorsic oakland, ca 232 Posts
    This season's Rock of Love show will be worth the price of cable alone.

I hate these shows, but episode one was like a 1.5 hour long version of The Soup... I wish Joel McHale could just do running commentary on a DVD.

• Milwaukee and Greenview
    I don't believe this intersection actually exists.
    Greenview goes as far south as Division, then you hit the Section 8 towers.
    This area (Dogpatch) has been my hood for 10+ years.