So how is business? (RR related)

mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
edited January 2009 in Strut Central
I havent sold anything in a while and im getting ready to unload some stuff and was wondering how sales are for you guys? Both on the 'Strut Classifieds and on the 'Bay.Both big-dudes and little dudes.Are poeple buying right now?

Comments

• My shop recovered nicely in December. I think everyone was in freakout mode in October and November but finally came around last month. January has started well too.
    Had a small batch of auctions over the holidays (ended Dec. 24) which ended up doing pretty well (about what I thought they'd do).

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    i'm not a real seller so won't comment
    but could some of the heavy hitting dealers and online sellers chime in?

word i'm hearing from a few sources is that people are still getting into records - chud still flowing freely, but $10-$40 records are not moving or selling for much less than you could get a year ago, while high end raer is holding up pretty well.

any truth to this? your thoughts?

• That's about right.

It's been real up and down for me. December had moments of light and a bit more consistency but not where it was, say, in August before things fell apart.

If you've got high end shit or just a shitty record nobody's ever seen before you can do well on ebay... I would stay away if it's like $10-$50 basic stuff... set sale is a better option for that stuff. My last set sale went great.

• just a shitty record nobody's ever seen before

This seems to be the norm for "new discoveries" these days. Is the well really that dry?

• It's not that it's dry, it's that people are unimpressed by records that don't make them the hit of the party. You could have a legitimately rare record - say, a scarce 60s soul LP in NM shape - and I've seen these records go for half of what they should, sometimes even opening bid. Now, if you have an 80s soprano sax LP with a homemade vibe, a dashiki and a b&w cover, who cares if it used to sell for $5? Now it's a private rarity.

As I say this, I'm reminded that older dealers used to say the same thing about disco, rap, spiritual jazz... it's part of the game I suppose.

But the record should at least be halfway good.

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    I WILL ONLY PAY TOP DOLLAR IF NO ONE ELSE CAN HAVE IT