Akai MPC-500(I need convincing)

ageage 1,131 Posts
edited January 2009 in Strut Central
Hey Strut folks,Happy New Year to each and every one of ya'll!Hope the holidays have treated all of you excellent and kindly:)So, I'm looking to clear some space. I have an Ensoniq ASR-10(keyboard-sampler) I'm about to put in the garage or sell.I've been looking into getting something smaller, but Affordable.So been told to peep out the Akai MPC-500. It looks great.It could be the space saver of a life time.My question to ya'll is...Is it anything along the lines of the other MPC series product?Is it worth getting and choosing over my ASR-10?Seems to have mixed reviews on-line, but at the same time they tend to both even out and it seems like a great idea(the concept of the "on the go" sampler and just being "small"). I just don't want to waste $450 to $500 on something I'm going to regret buying cause, it's shit. Anywords?!?!I know eventually, I am going to have to fiddle around with it and see if it's to my liking, but just would like some words with anybody that might have messed with it or even so, own's it.Any help in this, I would really greatly appreciate it!!Thanks folks!!Adrian

Comments

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    you can get a 1000 for this $450-500 range... The 1k is a beast compared with the .5k, especially with that JJOS.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    you can get a 1000 for this $450-500 range... The 1k is a beast compared with the .5k, especially with that JJOS.
    yep
    only get the 500 if it's extremly cheap or you need it for its portability

• observobserv 55 Posts
    your asr 10 is golden

the 500's pretty much only useful if you're using a computer to do your sample editing and using the 500 as a sequencer.

• hang on to the asr. i had a mpc 500. used it for about 3 days and quickly passed along to a friend. don't like the sound of the sample engine at all(too clean, tinny).
    i would only saving grace was battery power.
    peace, stein. . .

• ageage 1,131 Posts
    Thanks for the advice. I went to a buddies house earlier and he has one, started messing with it. Right away, I did not like the sound at all.

I was cringing about the idea of getting rid of my asr-10.I have had this one for about 2 years, the last one since I was 23 years (I'm 35 presently)

I am so used to emu and ensoniq products, I might as well just stick with what I know.

Thanks for the advice folks.Still might look into a 1K.

Oh and R*****y (Einstein).. I mailed your record off today!

Peace and again, thank you folks.You never let me down.

Much peace and respect,
    Adrian

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    ...I might as well just stick with what I know.

• ageage 1,131 Posts
    word..need to follow my instincts more

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    LAte pass, but just to add to the heap, I haven't heard much positivity about the 500 or the 1000 (especially due tot he pads being inferior to the rest of the MPC line). However, I recently got an MPD32 and that thing is a lot of fun, and cheap.