Another "What should I charge?" thread.(Wedding-R)

Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
edited January 2009 in Strut Central
I hate doing weddings. I mean, I've done plenty of 'em for friends and they've always been fun (though sometimes a bit annoying), but still, I hate 'em.A good friend of mine hit me up 'cause his cousin's getting married in a couple weeks and the DJ backed out. They're in a bind, obviously. I usually charge $100 an hour on the rare occasion that I do play a wedding, party, graduation, etc., but am I shortchanging myself here? (It's a 6 hr gig.) Anybody know what these Yellow Pages DJ's usually charge?And oh, I usually borrow my friend's equipment when I play out (speakers, amp, sometimes cheesy lights) but he's using them the day of the wedding, how does a system rental factor into all of this? Should I be paid for making arrangements too?Either way, I'm desperately hoping I can get by without playing "Electric Slide," "Cha Cha Slide," or "The Chicken Dance" (it's a Black wedding so I *should* be able to manage without that last one).Herm

Comments

• I usually ask 150 to 200 per hour for 'dance party' time, 100 an hour for chill schitt, and ask another 2-300 for bringing turns, mixer, speakers, mic, etc. If they are good folks on a budget I try to be be flexible. You should try to get at least a G for what you will be providing...

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    You can charge even more but you need to run the whole show, and not just be a human music selector. I photograph high-end weddings, and some of those DJs charge a lot of money.

• speaking as someone who got married in the summer, anything "wedding" related costs more. It's kind of like a bullshit excuse to up the price on things. A cake for a large party would probably cost a few hundred. A wedding cake for a large party is about $1000. My wife and I ended up tricking the place we got the cake from and just bought it as a regular cake and a sheet cake and it went from $850 to $230.

So, you are not in the wrong to charge a fair amount. I'm not saying that you should stick it to them, but don't sell yourself short because they've probably set aside money for it. If you are renting gear and doing at least 6 hours than I think $1000 is very reasonable. If you gave them an invoice ahead of time that includes fees for travel, rental equipment, hours of djing, etc. than it probably wouldn't look as bad.

I rented some nice speakers for about $90 with stands. The place I rented them from was super cool. I told them I needed to pick them up early the day before and return them in the afternoon the day after. Basically, I had them the day before the wedding, the day of, and returned them the day after. I was only charged for one day, but I had them for two.

Everyone else at the wedding, photographer, caterer, etc will be charging standard rates, so there is no reason you need to low ball it. Since it's a friend connection you can be fair with them and work with them, but just throw out an amount you feel is fair and see what they are working with. They may have quotes from other people for $1500-2000. If they think your offer is too high then you can tell them the minimum you could do it for.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    anyone who can afford to get embroidered napkins can pay more than a G for my shit

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

Either way, I'm desperately hoping I can get by without playing "Electric Slide," "Cha Cha Slide," or "The Chicken Dance" (it's a Black wedding so I *should* be able to manage without that last one).

Black wedding or white wedding (no Billy Idol), the Cha Cha Slide is pretty damn necessary. I did a fundraiser for my wife's school and everybody there was fiending for that, white, black or brown. I don't think you can get away with not playing that.

Also, did the Cupid Shuffle blow up anywhere else besides Chicago? That shit is kind of a must too. I was at a straight-up white boy sports bar on Saturday and after the Chargers/Colts game the DJ was playing a bunch of stuff and worked the Cupid Shuffle in. Unless it never got legs where you are, I would have that one too, just in case.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Thanks everybody! "Cupid Shuffle" is definitely a must. I got a request for it a couple months ago and within 20 seconds the whole floor was filled with burly, tough ass roller derby ladies moving in unison. A couple of 'em were sexy too (thank God!).

• why did i get a request for cupid shuffle last friday ?
    i told dude he needs to go to a wedding to get that done.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    why did i get a request for cupid shuffle last friday ?
    i told dude he needs to go to a wedding to get that done.

He obviously didn't know who he was fuskin' with.

I never understood the group dance. The reason I dance is so that I can do my own thing, not the same thing as every other fool in the room. I can understand couples dances like the waltz or whatever, at least couple is in control. I ain't trying to follow directions, except for maybe James Brown and the guy singing lead on "Funky 16 Corners."

Then again, I have rhythm, at least when it comes to dancing. I understand that my no-skills-having white brethren need songs to earn them participation points while minimizing the time they have to awkwardly go for self.

• What is crazy is when they want you to play the cupid shuffle again and again...

• Man I don't think I've ever heard the cupid shuffle in real life.

ZOMG! I DON'T KNOW ANY BLACK PEOPLE THAT ARE GETTING MARRIED!

• edulusedulus 421 Posts
    so was at a wedding a couple weeks ago, got to talkin to the photographers, they charge 10K per wedding! Work like 30 weddings a year. Is that normal? or are they just really good?

• we asked around about photographers for our wedding and it was generally about $3000 or more. $2000 would be on the cheaper side. If prints are part of the cost than the photographer is not caking that whole $10,000, but it's still a nice paycheck. I bet it sucks to be a wedding photographer.

• This is their special day and should be prepared to do it right. If you think you're worth it, charge them. Those "phonebook dj's" certainly will. Just be fair.

So I quoted her $1200 total and she gasped. Apparently the DJ that backed out was gonna do it for $100/hr. I caved and told her I'd do it for the same since you're M*rcus' cousin. I'm charging her an extra $100 for the equipment rental. I mean, $700's better than nathan, right?

I rented some nice speakers for about $90 with stands.

Were they powered or did you provide your own amp?

I'm coming prepared with - ugh - "Cha Cha Slide." I don't plan on bringing reggaeton, though (equally ugh).