Best way to zip a mix from iTunes?

Terry_ClubbupTerry_Clubbup 833 Posts
edited January 2009 in Strut Central
Remedial internut moves for an old head, plaese.So I create a mix on a Playlist in iTunes. Songs from all different sources - the original song files have numbers that don't correspond to their order in the mix. The Playlist is master. Obviously I can burn a disc of that mix.But how can I zip that Playlist, keeping the songs in the correct order? Is it necessary to copy and re-name the song files and manually place them in a new folder to zip? Or is there some shortcut I'm missing out on?Weak solution: burn a disc of the playlist, then import that disc into iTunes so that it recognizes it as an Album and creates appropriate numbered song files. Then zip that Album file. Some compression loss has occurred.Better solution?Thanks in advance.

Comments

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    what if you select all songs in the playlist (ctrl-a) and then go ctrl-i (edit info multiple items) and give them all the same album name...

Doesn't Itunes create a folder with that name with all the files in it?

not sure but might work..

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    This information is all stored via album name and track number in ID3 tags.
    I would say first, select them all and give them the same album name, then edit each mp3 individually and enter the track number and number of tracks on the album.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    Yes, I would say the best thing to do would be to edit the ID3 tags so that they all have the same album titleand then edit the track number so that each track is numbered according to where it occurs in the list. A couple of other fine points: In the info tab in the track information dialog, check the "Part of a Compilation" box. Then if you have iTunes organize your library (in Preferences, under Advanced) there will be a "Compilations" folder in your iTunes music library and all of the tracks will be in a single folder there which you can then zip up.

• Thanks goons, I'm now on the right track!

I would add this: make a copy[/b] of the files you want to put together as a mix, and then edit the ID3 tags of the copy files.

Example: I want use The Beatles "I Dig A Pony" from Let It Be on my Awesome Road Trip 2009 mix. If I edit the album title on the song file tag, then later in my main Music library when I want to listen to Let It Be all in sequence, "I Dig A Pony" will be somewhere else with the other Awesome Road Trip 2009 songs. I think the best idea is to make a copy and then edit the hell out of the copy files to fit the mix.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Yeah, give the tracks a unique album name (and number) and then do a search for that same name and they'll pop up in order, even if they are in different sub folders (of the same name) under the particular artist. Copy all, paste into new folder.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    How does one edit id3 tags?

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts

In iTunes, select the track (or group of tracks) you want to edit, and under the "File" menu select "Get Info". You can edit the ID3 tags under the Info tab.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

In iTunes, select the track (or group of tracks) you want to edit, and under the "File" menu select "Get Info". You can edit the ID3 tags under the Info tab.

Oh I thought this was something different.