Vinyl sales double in 2008, indie shops rejoice...

SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
edited January 2009 in Strut Central
Still small potatoes in terms on large numbers, but a good look nonetheless. linkage
In 2008, 1.88 million vinyl albums were purchased, more than in any other year since Nielsen SoundScan began tracking LP sales in 1991. The previous record was in 2000, when 1.5 million LP albums were sold. More than two out of every three vinyl albums bought in 2008 were purchased at an independent music store, according to SoundScan.Vinyl record sales rose 14% between 2006 and 2007, from 858,000 to 990,000. In contrast, CD sales plummeted over the past three years, from 553.4 million in 2006 to 360.6 million in 2008. MP3 sales grew from 32.6 million to 65.8 million during the same time period, according to SoundScan.

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    ...while rap vinyl completely vanished in the same time period.

• The only requests for new vinyl I get (aside from reissues) is mostly indie rock/avant/folk stuff.

Rap vinyl completely done off.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    ...while rap vinyl completely vanished in the same time period.

A Reynaldo & Hcrink conspiracy ???...

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Part of me thinks it's good because 12"s outlived themselves as a promotional tool and most LPs are pressed f*cking terrible anyway, but I f*cking love rap vinyl. : |

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Part of me thinks it's good because 12"s outlived themselves as a promotional tool and most LPs are pressed f*cking terrible anyway, but I f*cking love rap vinyl. : |

I'm mostly of the same opinion. But the promotional delivery method for rap sucks right now. The way that promos are delivered sucks right now. It's incredibly uneven and the indies don't have a f*cking clue how to deliver shit via digital means.

If rap is still gonna get pressed then it should strictly be 12" with full lengths going to CD. IMO...

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    basically the new business model is to buy like 10 copies of ever major indie rock record and stockpile

if you held onto stuff you bought 1998-2008 and you have like multiple copies of Wilco and White Stripes and crap you are rich now

b/w

Seth Klarman:

COLLECTIBLES ARE NOT TRUE INVESTMENTS, THEY ARE SPECULATIVE ITEMS, DON'T GET IT TWISTED

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

Tell stones throw to slow down the flooding.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    basically the new business model is to buy like 10 copies of ever major indie rock record and stockpile

BETTER BUSINESS MODEL: HANG A ROPE FROM YOUR STOCKPILE, TIE IT AROUND YOUR NECK AND JUMP.

FIVE YEARS FROM NOW WHEN YOUR MOTHER FINDS YOUR CARCASS SHE CAN PAY FOR THE CLOSED CASKET FUNERAL WITH THE MONEY SHE MAKES OFF OF THE FEET FOXES. THINK OF IT AS THE ONLY LIFE INSURANCE PLAN THAT WILL PAY OUT AFTER YOUR INEVITABLE SUICIDE.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

BETTER BUSINESS MODEL: HANG A ROPE FROM YOUR STOCKPILE, TIE IT AROUND YOUR NECK AND JUMP.

FIVE YEARS FROM NOW WHEN YOUR MOTHER FINDS YOUR CARCASS SHE CAN PAY FOR THE CLOSED CASKET FUNERAL WITH THE MONEY SHE MAKES OFF OF YOUR FEET FOXES. THINK OF IT AS THE ONLY LIFE INSURANCE PLAN THAT WILL PAY OUT AFTER YOUR INEVITABLE SUICIDE.

You have been listening to too much Gangsta NIP, sir.

FIVE YEARS FROM NOW WHEN YOUR MOTHER FINDS YOUR CARCASS SHE CAN PAY FOR THE CLOSED CASKET FUNERAL WITH THE MONEY SHE MAKES OFF OF THE FEET FOXES. THINK OF IT AS THE ONLY LIFE INSURANCE PLAN THAT WILL PAY OUT AFTER YOUR INEVITABLE SUICIDE.

Yeah dude, I hope you enjoy the Da Sha Ra 12" I sold you recently! No noose is good noose.

"no more nooses"

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    any word on Q-Tip's album on wax?

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Paying for music is dead; paying for 12-by-12 art objects is not.

Paying for music is dead; paying for 12-by-12 art objects is not.

^^^truth
    except for people who buy cassettes or can't find sheila E mp3s

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Yeah dude, I hope you enjoy the Da Sha Ra 12" I sold you recently!

I WILL ENJOY PROFITING FROM ITS RESALE.

Yeah dude, I hope you enjoy the Da Sha Ra 12" I sold you recently!

I WILL ENJOY PROFITING FROM ITS RESALE.

RAD GOOD LUCK WITH THAT BUDDY!

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    FEET FOXES

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

I DONT NEED LUCK TO SELL RECORDS, I ACTUALLY KNOW THINGS ABOUT MUSIC.

I DONT NEED LUCK TO SELL RECORDS, I ACTUALLY KNOW THINGS ABOUT MUSIC.

AWESOME LEMME KNOW HOW MUCH YOU MAKE OFF THAT RARE RANDOM RAP BOUNCE 12", BALLER!

• Options
    that is your business?

• any word on Q-Tip's album on wax?

do you mean does it exist or is it a good pressing? It exists. Sounds decent to me.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    if something happens to mylatency, I'm blaming noz. Dude is playing MAD mind games on our fragile moderator.
    This would be like the first case of gangsta rap murder over the interweb. I fear for mylatency.

Mylatency don't listen to noz, you are champagne. Put on that FEET FOXES record and keep on banging fake neo hippies females, meanwhile noz be posing in front of the mirror doing his "are you talking to me?" De niro thing with kannye west cassette sounding in the back.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    From what I've read, this is largely attributable to old people who don't realize that they can get an original Boston or Journey LP for a fraction of the cost of the reissue.

Doesn't seem like a very durable market.

• In my experience... that's right. There's a certain cohort of customers that come in looking for new rock/alt/folk LPs - Joanna Newsome up to a group like the White Stripes and FEET FOXES. Basically, your music mag critical darling/blog rock stuff being purchased by people who may at some point turn into collectors, appreciate the sound, or just think it's cool. That's not huge numbers though. Niche market well-served by indie stores like Other Music (or whatever its local peer is in other markets).

Then you have what you mentioned, baby boomers who buy Steve Miller reissues when a clean copy is residing in the bargain bin for $2. The upside of this customer is that they will occasionally spring $60 for a nude cover "Electric Ladyland" or tri-fold "Paul's Boutique" because they (in the case of the former) remember it from their youth or (in the case of the latter) "used to live in an apartment right above this store!" (true story). I think this is what's driving the Best Buy/Target/Wal-Mart ZOMG WE STOCK TEH VINYLZ! storyline.

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    any word on Q-Tip's album on wax?

yep, just picked it up this week. surprised no digital copy though....

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    Vinyl's the ultimate hardcopy ...a dude I know who has a stereo store in town said today that he's sold more record players in the past year then CD.

ALSO, the upshot is>>> HMV is dead, long live the indie record store, right ON.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I think this is what's driving the Best Buy/Target/Wal-Mart ZOMG WE STOCK TEH VINYLZ! storyline.

Best Buy on 86th in Lex has a vinyl dispaly riye when u come of the escalator.

Steve Miller's Greatest Hits, Led Zep, and Bomb Dylan.

Meanwhile at J&R Music World dudes throw out hella cardboard boxes of Debbie Boone,Jeffrey Osborne,FreeFall, and Barbara Mandrell for 99 cents per.