Lambert & Company

sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
edited December 2008 in Strut Central
It took me forever to find the movie, crack the security, shrink it, copy it and uploaded it in its entirety, but here it is. I first saw this film about fifteen years ago and I never forgot it. Its directed by D.A. Pennebaker and is one of - if not the - first film he made. Its a great slice of - well, just of life, as it was, in NYC in the early 60's.This is from the filmaker's website.Dave Lambert had been a hero of mine ever since I left Chicago for New York in the forties, long before he???d begun the famous Lambert, Hendricks and Ross trio. He was an arranger for Gene Krupa, who, in addition to trumpeter Roy Eldridge and vocalist Anita O'Day, had these fantastic brass arrangements, which I still remember and have the 78's to prove it. Anyway, while we were building a studio on 45th Street for fledgling-film-company Leacock Pennebaker, Bob Van Dyke, our audio genius, introduced me to Dave, and got him to help us finish it. Dave, it turned out, was a first rate carpenter. When it came up that he had an audition at RCA for a new group to record songs he had just written, we went along with him and filmed the session. RCA decided not to go for it, and wiped the tapes, so we stuck our unedited film up on a shelf and left it there. Several months later, while helping someone fix a flat on the Merritt Parkway, Dave was hit by a car and killed. A few weeks later, Art De Lugoff from the Village Gate called and said he???d heard we had a film of Dave and could he show it at the wake. Nick Proferes and I spent that night editing and got him a print the next day. A few days later a reporter from German TV who???d seen it, came around and asked if he could take the film back with him, since Lambert was so well known in Europe. We gave him our print and forgot about it. Then letters started coming asking where to get the record. But there wasn???t any record, nor ever would be. All there was was this fifteen-minute film of a few incomplete rehearsals of songs that otherwise didn???t exist. It hit me that this was really what film should be doing, what I should be doing . . . recording people and music as a kind of popular history that might otherwise not exist. It was only a few weeks later that Albert Grossman walked into our office and asked if I was interested in making a film about his client, Bob Dylan.

Lambert from Peter on Vimeo.Happy New Year.

Comments

• Thanks so much for posting this. The singing is lovely and the scene is very very cool. Nice to watch on a lazy New Year's Day . . .

It's a shame the tapes were wiped.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    This was really cool. Thanks.

• HamHam 872 Posts
    This was really cool. Thanks.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    I love the guy who runs the recording session. He gets so into it, but you can tell the other suits that come down to see whats going on, don't buy it. And I think you can tell that Lambert knows they arent buying it by the end of the session. He seems dissapointed.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Fantastic. A great contribution to humanity.

better than most, anyway.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    It's really great.

What would have been Dave's 93d birthday is coming up, and I just never get tired of watching this. Couldn't resist the bump before it gets lost down the vimeo memory hole for ever.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    very glad you posted this. super cool to see.