removing centres on UK 45s?

buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
edited December 2008 in Strut Central
Whats the best way to do this? Just got a nice Studio 1 UK rocksteady rarity and don't want to accidently snap anything.

Comments

• why would you want to? isnt that the way UK records are made?

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    Yes, and I would like to liberate them from being pointlessly annoying and ugly.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    craft knife/pocket knife/razor blade/scalpel. Take your pick. Cut down on a flat surface or cut across the join by putting the blade in the gap & holding the record upright.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Yes, and I would like to liberate them from being pointlessly annoying and ugly.

"The US is always right" related.

• Every time I get a UK/Japanese 45 with the center removed, I feel like I've been ripped off. Now I know who to blame.

Every time I get a UK/Japanese 45 with the center removed, I feel like I've been ripped off. Now I know who to blame.
    I'll send you a bag full of discarded centres if you want to try piece them back together.....

Man... F*ck cutting a centre out. In Oz we go one step further and just have small-hole 45s... why even give people the option of knocking the centre out?

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    it had to do with different makes of juke boxes i think, to knock/cut the center out is to dink it, there are places that will do this from memory

• RerogRerog 569 Posts
    From a DJ'ing aspect, it is much easier to play 45's with smaller holes....why would you ever want to make it harder on yourself? I guess I'm not seeing the appeal of doing this? Can anyone explain?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    From a DJ'ing aspect, it is much easier to play 45's with smaller holes....why would you ever want to make it harder on yourself? I guess I'm not seeing the appeal of doing this? Can anyone explain?

I think Button's "pointlessly ugly" point pretty much summed up his position on the matter.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts

I think Button's "pointlessly ugly" point pretty much summed up his position on the matter.

How does Button feel about LPs and 12s? Are they pointlessly ugly?

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    I guess it would make a little bit of sense if you play 45s only and are too lazy to remove the adapters for the occasional small center hole...

From an aesthetical standpoint though it's always wrong to alter an artifact and you might even reduce the value of the record.

With African 45s, you sometimes get the small center hole and sometimes the large one, it would never cross my mind to snap out the middle. Maybe if 2 or 3 out of the 4 connecting pieces have already been broken and I'm afraid of the middle falling out and scratching the record while it's in the box but if you don't have to, leave those things alone.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

He stamps out 45 holes in those too.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts

He stamps out 45 holes in those too.

with the heel of his fascist jackboot

• Whats the best way to do this? Just got a nice Studio 1 UK rocksteady rarity and don't want to accidently snap anything.

are you just trying to be a dick or are you really that simple minded?

• tomasltomasl 315 Posts
    They're worth more with the center intact - if that helps. Like a good 1/3 more.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I think he's trying to snap up the award of the year...

• tomasltomasl 315 Posts
    Every time I get a UK/Japanese 45 with the center removed, I feel like I've been ripped off. Now I know who to blame.
    I'll send you a bag full of discarded centres if you want to try piece them back together.....

With the correctly colored labels, too???

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    They are ugly so I understand the desire to remove them. I say take a Dremel tool to 'em--the world is yours.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    They're worth more with the center intact - if that helps. Like a good 1/3 more.
    I'll pay more for pre-removed because then I don't have to do the removing myself.

Man... F*ck cutting a centre out. In Oz we go one step further and just have small-hole 45s... why even give people the option of knocking the centre out?
    You guys also had pop out centres on your 45s up until the mid-60s.
    A lot of the times it depended on the pressing plant whether or not they would make the centre pop-able or solid. I think the UK/Europe persisted with popout centres for a while longer than OZ/NZ.
    But yeah, it was all to satisfy jukebox operators. Regardless I sourced a ex jukebox collection of 45s where every single originally small holed 45 (out of thousands) had unmatching centres re-taped into the big holes, thus screwing every label with either tears or tape residue when removed or the fact that the original label had a big chunk chopped out of the middle often removing the title/artist. Ugly. I don't really advocate the practice of centre removal but if it's a rare 45 that you know you're not gonna sell you should just do what you want with it.

it had to do with different makes of juke boxes i think, to knock/cut the center out is to dink it, there are places that will do this from memory
    Yeah "dinking" is what it was called. Ruined many a small hole 45. Although the jukebox probably would have done that regardless anyhow.

are you just trying to be a dick

yeah, coming from the dude who soundclashes with Soulseek mp3s!

I think all in all though, Frank's argument about leaving things in their truest form struck a chord. They're still ugly looking and annoying to DJ with, but I should appreciate rares for what they are, not what I'd like them to be.

• you're an idiot.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    They're still ugly looking and annoying to DJ

Please elaborate.

I don't understand why they are considered so ugly. Never really thought of that myself.
    And I've always found undinked 45s easier to DJ with.
    What is it that you find annoying?

I'll tell you what is annoying... finding a 45 with the centre popped out and not being able to read the damn artist or title!

Geeze... can't you people just leave things alone!

Well Aesthetics can't really be justified, but practicality-wise its nice to have some uniformity when you're spinning mainly all 45s. Its nice to just leave the adaptors on the decks all night. It also makes it easier to grab a whole stack out the box to flip through. Just slip your middle finger through a bunch of center holes, lift out, and go. No need to worry about some UK centre filed midway through impeding your progress.

b/w

They cramp my DJ process (short version)

Whatever. Who cares, I'm just being bitchy. Its staying in. I don' tknow why guys like Pico gotta get all crazy about it.

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    you're an idiot.

I don't usually chime in with stuff like this, but seriously....this is so stupid... they aren't "ugly" , what are you talking about?

• tomasltomasl 315 Posts

or