fab 5 freddy VS ed lover dre

youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
i always prefered ed lover and dre's chemistry. what do you think. peace, stein. . .

Comments

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    me too, knowing that i could expose Fab5freedy's azz for being one fuckin Nigerian scammer. Dude rob people like crazy. He still owes my wife some loot since he found amusement by signing under his own name stuffs that he didn't write.

Dre got my vote, from far...

• PEKPEK 735 Posts
    i always prefered ed lover and dre's chemistry. what do you think. peace, stein. . .

Fab 5 Freddie: poseur of the utmost degree - self-appointed liaison b/w the uptown and downtown 'scenes' accordin' to himself...

Dre: legit Strong Island -> Original Concept ('Can You Feel It?' - some of the original blueprints for the Miami bass sound)...

No contest...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Fab 5 Freddie: poseur of the utmost degree - self-appointed liaison b/w the uptown and downtown 'scenes' accordin' to himself...

Dre: legit Strong Island -> Original Concept ('Can You Feel It?' - some of the original blueprints for the Miami bass sound)...

No contest...

Fab 5 Freddy for "Change the Beat" and hanging w/ Basquiat.

• Options
    Ed and Dre because they're from Long Island.

• haych3haych3 20 Posts
    ed just for his dance...

Go check WILD STYLE if u dont know. In the kitchen w/ FLASH.

• PEKPEK 735 Posts

And then check out Steven Hager's '84 book 'Hip-Hop' and find out how Freddie basically invited himself to the hip-hop party unsolicited - Lee (aka LEE) Quinones relates the story how Freddie Braithwaite comes into Quinones high school (Seward) and tries to speak to him about makin' $$$ off graffiti before gettin' chased off by a teacher... Weeks after makin' Quinones's acquaintance, article appears in the February 12/79 issue of the Village Voice where Braithwaite is photographed standin' in front of one of Quinones's murals - and then goes on to proclaim in the article that 'We call ourselves the Fabulous Five' and adds that 'As you can see, we've obviously been influenced by Warhol, Crumb, and Lichenstein' - names that Lee, Doc, Slave, and Mono really weren't familiar w/; Quinones goes on to say that 'Fred was a hustler' -

http://dogbert.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=190375562

http://dogbert.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=96660677

RAER

Is Braithwaite a hustler tryin' to get his grind on? Yes... Is he a poseur? Yes... Ain't mutually exclusive and public persona projected by Fab 5 ain't necessarily the whole story - know the full, drop the know-the-ledge... Was 'Wild Style' gonna paint a less-than-flatterin' picture of Freddie given that he acted as an unofficial consultant to director Charlie Ahearn?

And then check out Steven Hager's '84 book 'Hip-Hop' and find out how Freddie basically invited himself to the hip-hop party unsolicited - Lee (aka LEE) Quinones relates the story how Freddie Braithwaite comes into Quinones high school (Seward) and tries to speak to him about makin' $$$ off graffiti before gettin' chased off by a teacher... Weeks after makin' Quinones's acquaintance, article appears in the February 12/79 issue of the Village Voice where Braithwaite is photographed standin' in front of one of Quinones's murals - and then goes on to proclaim in the article that 'We call ourselves the Fabulous Five' and adds that 'As you can see, we've obviously been influenced by Warhol, Crumb, and Lichenstein' - names that Lee, Doc, Slave, and Mono really weren't familiar w/; Quinones goes on to say that 'Fred was a hustler' -

Is Braithwaite a hustler tryin' to get his grind on? Yes... Is he a poseur? Yes... Ain't mutually exclusive and public persona projected by Fab 5 ain't necessarily the whole story - know the full, drop the know-the-ledge...

No different than most dudes out there trying to make their name in the scene(any scene). His opportunistic style is part and parcel w/ getting inside. Dogs, he's witnessed alot of things early in the game that we'll only have third person prespective off. Fab 5 has easily got 5 to 8 years before Ed Lover and Dre. That has to weigh in when voting.

• PEKPEK 735 Posts

No different than most dudes out there trying to make their name in the scene(any scene). His opportunistic style is part and parcel w/ getting inside. Dogs, he's witnessed alot of things early in the game that we'll only have third person prespective off. Fab 5 has easily got 5 to 8 years before Ed Lover and Dre. That has to weigh in when voting.

I don't know much about Ed Lover's history, but Dre -> interview w/ Chuck D. from Davy-D's site -

In 84-85, I did demos on WBAU because we did not have enough rap records. I did demos to help sell the station. We made artists from our local area. The Bomb Squad made music for rappers that were in the (local) area at the time. The guy who invented the 808 bass-kick sustain was actually Dr. Dre (Andre Brown). We introduced him to the 808 which was the same machine Bambaatta did Planet Rock from. He found a way to sustain a kick and Dre and he was the first guy from our camp who got involved with the Rush/Def Jam camp. Dre showed Rick Rubin a technique and the first jam you ever heard implement that sustain was Together Forever by Run DMC in 1985.

You tell me whether or not you gonna diminish Dre's little-publicized contribution to the game?

http://dogbert.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=190375562

http://dogbert.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=96660677

RAER

Is Braithwaite a hustler tryin' to get his grind on? Yes... Is he a poseur? Yes... Ain't mutually exclusive and public persona projected by Fab 5 ain't necessarily the whole story - know the full, drop the know-the-ledge... Was 'Wild Style' gonna paint a less-than-flatterin' picture of Freddie given that he acted as an unofficial consultant to director Charlie Ahearn?

Whatever..............

You can make the call

• PEKPEK 735 Posts

Whatever..............

You can make the call

Weak - if that's the best retort you can muster - Dre and Lover didn't shy away from playin' the fool and that movie is exhibit A...

Yeah, whatever... Did you say somethin'?

• PEKPEK 735 Posts
    Fab 5 has easily got 5 to 8 years before Ed Lover and Dre. That has to weigh in when voting.

The advantage of more years means what? More duplicity? There's a non-sequitur there somewhere...

I know Dre's contribution. I'll still stick w/ Fab 5, regardless of both of their MTV personalities.

The advantage of more years means what? More duplicity? There's a non-sequitur there somewhere...

" Sorry, I threw up "

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    I have to go with Dr Dre and Ed Lover. I used to watch yo mtv raps mon-fri everyday after school. From my memory, Fab Five Freddy was on like on Saturdays and I didn't catch it too often. He always seemed like a poser to me. The Yo Mtv trading cards are dope, remember those?