shirtstrut

troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
I always get sick while looking at sites like turntablelab that sell screenprinted shirts for like 30 bucks...so I spent $10 for iron on transfers and customized some old shirts of mine. Anyone else ever get creative on their wardrobe?
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
and just for monty, a close-up of the stark reality one

Comments

• dope! nice work man.

is that DJ Ayres playing piano on the right?

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    nah, it's the dudes from the french band Air.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    what exactly did you use, WE NEED DIRECTIONS! shit is hot.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    that curtis jawn. oooweee

i've done this before but the iron on's make the shirt too thick, especially when the image is so large. do they make them thinner these days?

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    these are really nice.. i too delved in the iron ons but the sheets i bought were awful. especail if you were ironing white on white. you could see the iron on faintly.

howdyadoit?

• DJ_WubWubDJ_WubWub 874 Posts
    Transfers are cool and you can print them straight off your injet printer then iron them on here are a few i did last week. Sorry for the dodgy pics

just do a search for iron on transfer paper on ebay or google. Print them out and iron them on. Some paers don't work well on dark t-shirts though.

• montymonty 420 Posts
    hi C***y

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    My friend's uncle has an enourmous collection of beer labels (many raers), which he can scan and iron on to T-shirts. We've thought about putting some of these up on the 'bay, but I'm thinking they would shut us down pretty fast for copyright infringement or something.

Them shirts up there are dope -- definitely the way to go.

hi C***y
    what's up Monty. I love that poster of the band. Also, I think it was cool how you treated the thread about how BEF sampled you. You're quality peoples and we are priviledged to have such a great example here at the strut.

Transfers are cool and you can print them straight off your injet printer then iron them on here are a few i did last week. Sorry for the dodgy pics

just do a search for iron on transfer paper on ebay or google. Print them out and iron them on. Some paers don't work well on dark t-shirts though.
    These are fucking dope. They become addictive don't they, I keep looking around my room looking for things to iron on transfer to.

• Damn! Nice! Do the images wear down much after washing and wearing a lot?

• chasechase 767 Posts
    yeah the "dark color" iron ons are the illest, made by Avery you can probably scoop them at your local wal-mart.. print them out and your done

I had a cadet consept logo one and it lasted for over a year, and many washes and drys, I treated it just like every other shirt, actully it only starts to crack I thought it made it look even better..

trouble, how did you get that optigan with out a boarder???

• i've done this before but the iron on's make the shirt too thick, especially when the image is so large. do they make them thinner these days?

any answers?

ready to do some transfers myself, but the only one i ever did was like a marble plaque on the shirt

• Options
    Damn! Nice! Do the images wear down much after washing and wearing a lot?

Yep. I'd never mess with them again.

K.

• phono13phono13 842 Posts
    They won't last as long as screenprinted shirts, but it helps if you always wash'em inside out.

K...you've made some dope shirts too!

• spcspc 534 Posts
    I always get sick while looking at sites like turntablelab that sell screenprinted shirts for like 30 bucks...so I spent $10 for iron on transfers and customized some old shirts of mine. Anyone else ever get creative on their wardrobe?
    That optigan logo looks fantastic? Is that a record label? How did you do the transparency "effect", did you cut it ou?

Has anyone else experience with home made screenprinting stuff?

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    Slightly related, a recent shirt-find.

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    Well this has been in the works for a while now but just finally came to fruition. Friends of mine have a decal-making business and just got a heat press for doing clothing. The pressing material is very thin vinyl, just like records! They have an account with a t-shirt distributor where they get stuff from american apparel, gilden, etc. Tons of colors. Right now they only have red, black, and white vinyl for printing though, more colors to come. The quality of these shirts are .

The vinyl material is very thin and very sturdy, no peeling or cracking, and it holds up great to washing. It feels slightly rubbery but the finish is matte. They have a ploter/cutter/printer device hat very accuratly reproduces any vectorized image. I.E. Just scan your record label, "trace" (vectorize) image w/ illustrator, send to printer, put on heat press, blammo, pro shirts. Multiple colors can be done, it just takes more trip through the heat press. So,, this means all you strutters can have a t-shirt with any image for very reasonable prices. $18 per shirt, thats with them tracing your image from a high quality scan. You send scan, you get shirt. Get at me, I'll put you in contact with them.

Below is me with the first shirt on and the second ready to get the red heart in the TSOP logo on the heat press. The images on the shirt aren't pixelated or choppy, they look perfect and exactly like label scans.

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    That machine WILL flatten warped records too, we just have to "iron out" the details.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    ahhh crap. thanks for letting me know. i think pbase is having probs, but i just hosted them elsewhere.

what is this imagebucket website everyone uses

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    1: I soooo need some of Audrey's shirts in my life.

2: If I wore skirts I would so wear that skirt

3: I would so wear that TSOP and that Alston shirt.

1: I soooo need some of Audrey's shirts in my life.

2: If I wore skirts I would so wear that skirt

3: I would so wear that TSOP and that Alston shirt.

ahhh thanks for reminding me cosmo, i need to order me some blank t's! i swear i already have the neil young iron on handy. as proof it's #4 on my corkboard

• I would like to order a white tee with the
    "MY DAD is coming" so hide the bad stuff image.

Whether it's a platefull of weed, an Al Franken paperback,
    or an improperly repaired piece of furniture, I am still
    hiding the bad stuff from the original Terry Clubbup,
    so I would totally wear that t-shirt.
    And if I was feeling random and meta, I would wear the
    shirt when I went to visit his house.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    here are some old iron on projects

i did another hitchcock top out of this image but i haven't a pic of it yet

that's fresh, do you sell those?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

I would like to order a white tee with the

HAH!

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts

Terry, that Killing Joke CD was hard as nails.
    WOOOOAAAAOOOOOOOAAAAAHHHHHH

good stuff man.

I want to make some wild tees. Wild Screenz

Audrey, that Byrds one is most excellent. You should do some Saul Bass themed tees to go with Alfred. I will buy.

Cosmo, you shouldn't wear skirts (or capri pants). Those are for girls only.

hahahaha. yeah my roommates vandalized it. they wrote in to make it say "My Dad is in O-Town" and some other crud. stoners

magic jackson, naw i don't sell em because i don't have more than one of those garments. the sweater was one i was going to throw out and skirt i actually dyed green

• Cosmo, you shouldn't wear skirts (or capri pants). Those are for girls only.

Tell it to the ditch witch.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts

Tell it to the ditch witch.

The ditch witch only listens to the Penwich.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts

You're shook.