Intricate Simplicity

Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
edited December 2008 in Strut Central
Hey,I actually named one of my beats "Intricate Simplicity" based on the fact that sometimes, musically, there is a lot going on in a seemingly simple track. Well, listening to Coltrane's "My Favorite Things," some of the playing brought this to mind. What may seem like simple playing has subtle intricacy in it that is tough to execute, and displays artistic mastery. In particular, I thought of this in Elvin Jones's playing, the subtle syncopation, the snare drum and ride cymbal accents while keeping a steady hi-hat rhythm that he maintained in the clip. I'm a drummer, so I can appreciate the extreme skill required in what he was playing, which to the layperson, probably appeared simple. Thus, I ask, who are some musicians whose styles of playing typify "Intricate Simplicity"? Here are some examples to get you started:-John Coltrane-Miles Davis-Ahmad Jamal-Al Jackson-Wes Montgomery-Sting-John Robinson (drummer, for those who don't know)-Sly Dunbar-Robbie Shakespeare-Donald "Duck" DunnLike the saying goes, "sometimes less is more." Virtuosity is not the only sign of great playing since phrasing and melody matter too (Coltrane and Miles were masters at these).Peace,Big Stacks from Kakalak