Coping with apathy....

SouthCrackalackSouthCrackalack 3,853 Posts
edited December 2008 in Strut Central
I think I suffer from this but never fully realized or accepted it until recently. Anyone else? If so, how do you deal with? Who's the shrink of the Strut?

Comments

• I've been in a serious nihilistic mood for the last several months myself.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Apathy is often a symptom of depression and an easy way to combat either (assuming you're not clinically deep in the hole) is to go out and do something positive: volunteer for something. Not because you necessarily "want" to - after all, you're suffering from apathy - but because you think it might help change your frame of mind.

• yeah, working with my students is one of the few things that gets me jazzed up these days, so I've been looking into getting a masters in higher education/academic advisement or something along those lines

• there was a period in late august/early september when i felt this way for no particular reason. it just kinda hit me (and it was intensified by one of my best friends moving to L.A.)

when i was in that frame of mind, id go for long walks by the lakefront. and even though it is now the dead of winter, i'd do it again. it improved my mindset 100%. (hell, i like walking by the lake when I'm feeling GOOD, so it does wonders when I'm in a funk)

i dont know if you live near a body of water, but however you choose to solve it, best of luck

• yeah cosine odub and pickwick

get up get into it get involved. volunteer. teaching kids to read is some real medicine

and a long day hike in the woods is a surprising remedy for many things. pack a lunch and snacks and water and get moving toward someplace scenic

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Stop smoking weed!

• meh

• What type apathy are we talking bout here?
    I.e. are we talking about you can sit back and be apathetic as you watch dreadful things happen before your eyes, or are we talking a beautiful amazing woman is trying to be close to you and you are apathetic but want to feel something?
    There's serial killer apathy that can cause depression and worse, and then there's get out and change your stuck mentality apathy by busting out of your current mode.

• I feel the same way. I honestly just need to go hike in the mountains or something. People in LA have just been driving me crazy lately. Im going to see my nephew tonight though so that should be nice.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Cosign on advice to do something for other people, or hiking in the woods. Nature and meaningful exchange with other people often do the trick for me.

It might also be a time to reflect on what you want in life, what's really important to you, and then taking however small steps to acheive something that's valuable to you. A question I like to think about is: If I knew I was dying, how would I want to spend my last days/weeks/months on earth?