Why can't there be a dedicated rap radio station?

noznoz 3,625 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
why can't i just listen to rap on the radio 24 hours a day? why do i have to change to one of the other stations every other song because they have to play b2k or whatever that group on bad boy who's name sounds like b2k but isn't b2k.is there any radio station in america with an excusively rap/hip hop playlist and not just the clusterfuck known as "urban" radio? will there ever be?it's not even like i hate r&b, but usually i really don't want to hear that shit. i want to hear people rapping. i don't even care the style. i'd rather hear bad rapping than no rapping.(philly heads - did 103.9 move somewhere? or is it just power 99 now?)

Comments

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    i want to hear people rapping. i don't even care the style. i'd rather hear bad rapping than no rapping.

Wow. Cue George Santayana.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    someone razed KDAY from the dead and they stick to an all rap format here in LA.

http://www.935kday.com

• dstill808dstill808 704 Posts
    I wonder this too, but there just has to be NO money in it. There was a station in SD that tried to go the "good hip hop" route, and it lasted for about a month before they turned into one more hot97 clone.
    Pirate radio, dudes.

Although the pirate radio station here that's been doing well lately just got raided by the FCC, so maybe not.

Shouts to KZSU as the FM station most likely to be playing something I like if I randomly tune in.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    cos that shit don't make no money. maybe try one of them xm satellite radio jumpoff things

• sergserg 682 Posts
    but usually i really don't want to hear that shit. i want to hear people rapping. i don't even care the style. i'd rather hear bad rapping than no rapping.

I feel like this all the time. not even with just radio but like everything. I love rap, other music is cool but rap is the BEST!

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    someone razed KDAY from the dead and they stick to an all rap format here in LA.

Kday sucks

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts

Kday sucks

Ed, you haven't made a contribution to the airbrush thread. We're awaiting your commentary (no hijack).

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

Kday sucks

Ed, you haven't made a contribution to the airbrush thread. We're awaiting your commentary (no hijack).

one moment ...i haven't read it yet

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    You dont get enuff hip hop?

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    You dont get enuff hip hop?

rap is the BEST!

[Dan-ne-na, dan-ne-na] The recognized thresholds of negative stress
    [Dan-nah-nah-neyaa] The recognized thresholds of negative stress

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    why can't i just listen to rap on the radio 24 hours a day? why do i have to change to one of the other stations every other song because they have to play b2k or whatever that group on bad boy who's name sounds like b2k but isn't b2k.

is there any radio station in america with an excusively rap/hip hop playlist and not just the clusterfuck known as "urban" radio? will there ever be?

radio gotta sell ads

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    I love rap, other music is cool but rap is the BEST!

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    If we turn to approximately channel 512 on our cable TV, there's an audio station that plays strictly oldschool hiphop 24-7 with no interruptions and with info about the album (usually RAP'S GREATEST HITS VOL. 3) onscreen.

Turn to channel 513 or so and it's all new rap stuff both mainstream and independent (no backpack).

My wife listened to the oldschool channel for about a week before she got sick of it.